I hate exercise soooooo much!!

Options
Yes I hate it. With a passion.

I cannot find a single activity that I enjoy doing but I know if I don't do anything I'll just get fatter and fatter.

I am doing Wii Biggest Loser which actually kills me so it must be doing some good but I don't know if its enough.

Anyone got any wise words to share with me to give me a bit of motivation?

Replies

• _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Just Do It ~Nike
  • siobhan478
    siobhan478 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It hurts at the time, but I love the smug, self righteous feeling that you get afterwards. That's what keeps me doing it, and the knowledge that I can eat more, lol.
  • skylarlburke
    Options
  • Tigger228
    Tigger228 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Have you tried activities like riding a bike, playing basketball or swimming? Sometimes it helps to do an activity that you usually enjoy but it's exercise as well.

Good luck!
  • AprilPayne24
    Options
    What have you tried? If you don't enjoy exercise, you won't stick to a program. You can't think of it as work. I'd say the funnest classes I have taken are Spinning, Body Pump and Zumba. And it all depends on whether or not you have a good instructor. An instructor can make or break your impression of a class. Best of luck.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    With out knowing you or anything about you, I'll tell you what has been my experience.

I hated exercise, because I never did it. Then I started to exercise because I didn't want to get any fatter, and I didn't want to develop any medical issues. Now, I somewhat enjoy exercise.

So basically, just suck it up. Eventually, you might learn to like it.
  • walkner88
    walkner88 Posts: 165
    Options
    Find something challenging and stick with it, and then find joy in knowing you're improving and and bettering yourself. A lot of times we just have to do what we don't want, but can always inspire ourselves by focusing on what we want.
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    What all exercises have you tried?

I really enjoy Zumba, Biking, and Dance Central on the XBox Kinect. I have the wii fit but do not like it very much.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options

I cannot find a single activity that I enjoy doing but I know if I don't do anything I'll just get fatter and fatter.

I am doing Wii Biggest Loser which actually kills me so it must be doing some good but I don't know if its enough.

Gotta hate being fat more than you hate exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Just Do It ~Nike

Love this! I used to walk (then run) with music blasting and a muted tv playing Beyonce, Jlo & mtv videos!
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    You'll only regret the workout you don't do. :flowerforyou:
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

What do you enjoy doing? Like if you weren't worried about getting healthy what kind of things would you do for fun? Try to be as complete as possible with your list.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Just Do It ~Nike

Agreed! I used to feel the same way. I'd say after 4 or 5 months I started to feel differently about it. Another phrase is "fake it till you make it". Act like you like it, and eventually you just might :-)
  • AmelodyAngel
    AmelodyAngel Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I get bored really easy, so I have to just do different things to switch it up. I do Zumba, Step Aerobics, walking, various dance and yoga dvds, and whatever else I stumble upon. By switching things up I can get through them. Also listening to music or doing something while watching tv helps to. Being in a class also keeps me motivated because I see everyone else doing them to so I don't want to quit either! Good Luck and once you just get up and do it its not so bad either!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I was singing the saaaame tune a couple years ago. I just could not find one activity I enjoyed, besides dance (I used to dance before I had my son, tap and jazz, so I never had to do traditional exercise per se). But after forcing my way through a month's worth of gym sessions, I actually caught myself enjoying it. And now, I feel awful if I DON'T work out!

Make it not about exercise. Go for a hike, get one of those Just Dance games for the Wii, make it fun. Even just taking a walk with a friend is a step in the right direction. And if all else fails, fake it til you make it. Eventually, you'll learn to enjoy the endorphin rush :)
  • kimothycase
    Options
    Why not try walking on the treadmill with a magazine....or on the stationary bike with a good book....that's what I do and it helps to get my mind off of the time that I have to spend working out. also try dancing! You are moving your body but it's not as bad as "exercise"....Have fun! ":happy: You've got to Move to Lose"
  • racheljs768
    racheljs768 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I hate it too. I've had some success using the eliptical trainer at the YMCA.. they just installed little tv's on each one so I can watch a show, listen to my MP3 player, or both. I also like Leslie Sansone home DVD's. I work out with a trainer sometimes, but it's been hit or miss lately with all the activities & he just got a new job. It's frustrating.
  • usernamejoe
    usernamejoe Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Keep trying new things until you find something, Whatever you do, Don't GIVE UP! :-)
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat six months ago, now I ADORE a variety of exercise. Find a friend to walk with. Start out slow, and i'll bet you will find that after about a month, you actually crave the walk. I walk at least 3 1/2 miles every single day, with jogging and weight training thrown in a few times a week. What about bicycling? If you find a nice, flat path to ride, you might find that enjoyable. Good luck finding something you can tolerate at least. ;-)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    People say this a lot. I don't get it. Sorry but I just don't understand. The feeling of working really hard and sweating makes me feel so good that it's amazing. I get a feeling of power and strength, it's an amazing feeling. I don't know how someone can hate something that is healthy and good for them. The human body craves exercise and physical activity.

I would say, that you should give it a little time. As you get results, you might change your thinking about it. However, there's danger in that if you hate it, you won't stick with it. So, seek out something you will enjoy. Walking, swimming, karate, Plyometrics, Pilates, spinning, bike riding...there has to be something. If you hate everything, then you might want to seek professional help. I'm not being a smart *kitten*, I'm being serious.