I hate exercise soooooo much!!

Options

Replies

• lynnetted43
    lynnetted43 Posts: 252
    Options
    im gonna let you in a little secret. back in high school, my phiz ed teacher would have to hunt me down for gym class. i hated anything to do with any form of exercise. today i am a personal trainer!! who woulda thunk it? i live for working out. besides my family, it is my life. i love to lift heavy weight, and i love anything cardio!! hang in there. it will get better!! cant get any worse right:)
  • selfishshellfish
    Options
    If you hate exercise this much then don't do it. I mean, it has lots of benefits in itself but I haven't found it to be at all necessary for weight loss.

In fact, if you're the type (as I seem to be) who finds that exercise increases appetite, then it can have a paradoxical effect.

Even very disabled people manage to lose weight once they find the appropriate macronutrients to achieve their goal. For me that happens to be very low carbohydrate because that's the way I best control my appetite.

I'd recommend a book called Diet 101 by Jenny Ruhl.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm absolutely gym phobic so I've never been to a gym. I've tried fitness classes and hated them, I can't run more than a few yards because I'm so unfit but cycling doesn't seem to make me sweat at all and I can't swim.

I know I appear to be thoroughly pathetic. I feel pathetic. I know I should just stop being an idiot and gt to the gym but last time I made an appointment to go for an induction, I cried for about an hour before I was due to go and then didn't go.

I lost 3 stone about 7 years ago just by eating healthily and I'd love to do it that way again but as I'm older now I doubt that's possible. I only want to lost about 20lbs.

You don't have to go to the gym to lose weight! :)

Do you have a Wii? Just Dance 3 is super fun and burns cals!

Do you like to walk? Get outside! :D

You can also do workout DVDs (you can find some pretty cheap ones to try out OR get them free from the library).

Another good suggestion was the free HIIT training another poster mentioned or the free internet sites/programs.

YOU ARE NOT PATHETIC!!!! <3

Remember: Being able to do everything perfect is NOT important. The important thing is that you are MOVING. You are trying and you are working at it.

For instance, I still cannot do every move in my Ripped in 30 DVDs. Jillian STILL kicks my bum and I even have to modify below the given modifications. Sometimes, I have to just march in place, but the important thing is that I am MOVING. I am sticking with it and I am doing it! :D
  • judybegood
    judybegood Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have biggest loser too, don't like it much. The wii fitness is also boring. We got just dance and it's fun but holding the remote is a pain. Then my daughter bought ZUMBA FITNESS. It is much more fun! I do it with my kids and grand kids. I also have a couple dancing dvd's I find that I stay interested longer when I'm dancing.:flowerforyou:
  • Lil_MiSsSunshiNe
    Options
    No pain, No gain.

Buck it up!
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Yes I hate it. With a passion.

Anyone got any wise words to share with me to give me a bit of motivation?

I hate exercise too. All exercise. But I do it anyway. I found the two types of exercise I hate the least (stationary bike and yoga) and I do those. And one poster already stated that she gets a smug feeling afterwards..... well I get that too a little. Maybe not smug so much as pride. I'm proud of myself that as much as I hate it, I do it. I just got a FitBit a couple weeks ago and that has helped me somewhat. In fact, it got me to walk around the lake and walk up and down my stairs 50 times in one day. I wanted to make my FitBit happy (= I guess what I'm saying is, find what you hate the least and concentrate on that. Good luck and YOU GO GIRL! :glasses:
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    No pain, No gain.

Buck it up!

I agree with this.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

I cannot find a single activity that I enjoy doing but I know if I don't do anything I'll just get fatter and fatter.

I am doing Wii Biggest Loser which actually kills me so it must be doing some good but I don't know if its enough.

Do it for two weeks, you'll love the feeling. of course, don't do it half assed. you won't love anything half assed.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    In my experience, I would get into some type of exercise and wanting to burn FAT "right now', I'd overdo it, hate it, get too sore and burnt out and not do it again. You need to start at a comfortable pace and work up to a more intense exercise AFTER you get in a habit of working out. Sometimes we need to train our brains too.

Walk. At a pace you feel comfortable with. For 15 minutes.By yourself, with a partner, with a child or a dog. Walk to music. Walk somewhere nice. Walk down your street. Walk anywhere. Eventually it gets easier (mentally and physically) then you can walk faster/farther, if you want.

I've lost almost 40lbs (20 to go) doing it since Jan. I now walk/hike up to 10 miles a day and I'm doing C25K and I'm loving it. I've also gradually added some weight training to build muscle.

You can apply that to any exercise.
  • kelif5959
    kelif5959 Posts: 202
    Options
    I like this quote "You're only one workout away from a good mood"! :D
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I hate it too. My body gets all sweltering hot and sweaty and painful and tired and I make ridiculous faces. But I know I have to do it if I'm serious about losing weight, which I am.

Once you've made it a habit, it gets a bit easier to actually get up and do it, and once you start making progress you actually look forward to it to see how far you can take it.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options

I cannot find a single activity that I enjoy doing but I know if I don't do anything I'll just get fatter and fatter.

I am doing Wii Biggest Loser which actually kills me so it must be doing some good but I don't know if its enough.

Gotta hate being fat more than you hate exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

So agree with Ninerbuff,

suck it up.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I also hated exercise until it became a routine for me. I can't tell you how much I look forward to putting on my running shorts today after work and going for a nice run down by the beach.

It's not true that if you don't exercise, you'll get fatter and fatter. You'll only get fatter if you continually eat more than you need to. But one of the best parts about exercise is that you get to eat more!

If you focus on "I hate this" then you are setting yourself up for failure. Don't look for ways around exercising; find something you find the least horrible and do it OFTEN. Once you get into the routine, it will get easier and less painful.

So yeah, I agree with "buck up" :)
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    walk. walk walk walk.

that will get you started
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    It hurts at the time, but I love the smug, self righteous feeling that you get afterwards. That's what keeps me doing it, and the knowledge that I can eat more, lol.

This. I exercise so I can eat. And I feel pretty smug afterwards and it makes me look good.

But yeah, I hear you, I don't like it much either.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    There is nothing better, than going inline skating on a bright nice shiny day, like today, hurray. :laugh:
  • Micksgurl
    Micksgurl Posts: 84
    Options
    I also hat to exercise, The 10 Minute Solution series of videos has saved me. You can start out with just one 10 minute video and add on as you get better. I actually find myself excited to get home to work out now. There is a variety of workouts from cardio to yoga. Check them out on youtube. I have 7 videos now each with 5 different 10 minute workouts on them and I mix and match and have worked my way up to 50 minute and sometimes 60 minutes. Good luck!!
  • Por2gueseMama
    Por2gueseMama Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Pain is only temporary!!! It will get easier as you go!!!
  • novalh42
    novalh42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I can't find it online but I remember years ago Marilu Henner said that she hated exercise so instead of any "formal" exercise she would blast the music and dance around the house. I myself hate exercise but I like to walk in groups. You usually walk at a good pace and you are talking so you don't really notice that you are getting a pretty good workout. I also take a Zumba/Belly dance class. It is a small class and it is really fun, so again I don't feel like I am working out. I hope you find something that you can do and not hate. :smile:
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    In jr high I suffered through 3 years of PE. In 10th grade when I didn't have to do PE anymore, I started to gain weight because I wasn't moving enough. I went to college and had to walk everywhere on campus so my weight would drop during school and go back up during my break times.

After several years of yoyo weight loss and gain, I got my head on straight and decided that no matter how much I hated to exercise, I had to in order to lose the weight. So I started small and have worked my way into C25K, 30 Day Shred, Biggest Loser Powersculpt, yoga, belly dancing, Walk away the Pounds with Leslie Sansone.....

The key is to do it until you find something you enjoy. Blast music and dance around the house. Take a walk for some "me time". Work in your yard or garden. Walk the dog. Play with the kids. Super-clean the house. Find a place to volunteer that requires movement - helping the elderly with their homes/yards, etc. Start small and park as far away fromt the entrance to a building. Take the stairs as much as you can.

My point is don't glue yourself to the television in order to get in a workout. That's part of the problem. When you watch tv you want to watch your shows and movies, not an exercise dvd. Treadmills and gyms can get boring after a while. Don't get bored. Good luck!