I hate exercise soooooo much!!

Options

Replies

• A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    When I first started this journey in Sept 2010 - just the thought of exercising or sweating made me feel gross, but as I forced myself to do it - it got easier. I started out with doing 30-day shred which I got amazing results with. Then, I did Turbojam and I started to do Ripped in 30 (got bored with it). I did the c25K program which I loved and now I am part of a gym. I go 3-4/week and now I love the feeling of sweating because I know that I am working hard that way. It is something you will get used to if you stick with it. If you keep at it, I am sure you will find something you like. I enjoyed Zumba, but I can't do it right now - doesn't work with my schedule. Good luck and get determined!!!
  • mkvilmin
    mkvilmin Posts: 46
    Options
    Start slow, start with a walk around the block. I hate to go to the gym, so I don't. I walk and I ride my bike. The key is to move, park the furthest away in the parking lot, take the long way around, stairs instead of the elevator. Go to the mall and before you go in a store take a lap around the mall. There are always ways to get movement in. Put some tunes on while your cooking dinner and dance in the kitchen while your stirring the pot. You'll find it, you will find what works for you, put a smile on your face and get movin' baby.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I second the "bored" thing.

I used to treat exercise with a sort of distaste: a necessary evil.

But since losing a bunch of sticks of butter, I find that I am learning that I really, yes, actually ENJOY seeing all the things that my body is capable of doing. It's pure craziness, but there ya go.
  • PrinnyBomb
    PrinnyBomb Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I play Dance Central 2 for kinect. It's loads of fun (even though I don't like dancing or dance music). Last night I really couldn't be bothered but did it anyway. Felt better afterwards, plus I got to eat more food!
  • Alpine005
    Alpine005 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Honestly, exercise less, eat less. This will work for a while, but eventually you'll want to build some muscle mass (firm up)

Your diet is by far the biggest contributor to weight loss.

Have you tried walking? Get some music, listen to the radio, whatever entertains you.
  • coloradocami
    coloradocami Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    You just have to decide what YOU want most...you have to want to be healthy more than you hate to exercise. If you want to make the change, YOU CAN DO IT!
    and yes, you will find activities you enjoy :flowerforyou:
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Since you feel so strongly (and negatively) about it, maybe you should consider trying something new and fun. There are so many activities! You could take a dance class, walk in the woods, bike to work, yoga...Also, keep in mind that once you choose something, it doesn't mean you're stuck doing the same thing forever. For the moment, take time to explore different things and take mthe pressure off having to exercise. I'm sure you'll find something you like eventually.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Stage 1: realise you want to be fit
    Stage 2: Choose an exercise that is effective in gaining endurance.
    Stage 3: Do said exercise in managable parts (30 minutes?) - each time you start you can remember its ONLY 30 minutes, you have gotten through boring lectures longer than that and survived.
    Stage 4: Start to feel endurance building up
    Stage 5: Pick a few more exercises, rotate them - each in short intervals but long enough to get you sweating and panting

Stage A-FEW-WEEKS-LATER: Realise exercising isnt too bad and start to find exercise you might enjoy, either because they are fun or it makes you feel sooooo good to accomplish them, because you thought you would never be able to do them ever.
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Yes I hate it. With a passion.

I cannot find a single activity that I enjoy doing but I know if I don't do anything I'll just get fatter and fatter.

I am doing Wii Biggest Loser which actually kills me so it must be doing some good but I don't know if its enough.

Anyone got any wise words to share with me to give me a bit of motivation?
    Gotta hate being fat more than you hate exercise.

^^^ This exactly. When I first started exercising I totally hated it but I I hated the fat *kitten* even more. Now I love my workouts . . . can't wait to get home and get to it each day. Fridays are usually my rest day and lately I have found myself doing pushups at random times just so I'm "doing something" for my body. I'm a little OCD anyway though . . . just a little.
  • misspersimmon
    Options
    Nobody is making you exercise. I go through periods of time where I love to run, go to yoga, be on the treadmill/elliptical because it feels great and that's the state of mind I'm in. I have other periods of time where I realize that exercise is not my priority and I'd rather focus on eating healthy, doing the work that I have to do in my personal life, and moving my body around more by walking places.

I know some people will say differently, but the truth is, every one *is* different! If something isn't working for you, and you aren't at peace of mind and are constantly stressing or berating yourself because of it, that is a whole different type of unhealthy! Why don't you make small goals for yourself and work on eating well for a while, just focus on that. If you maintain a calorie deficit and regularly move your body around, you will not get fat!
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    It is very important to find something, anything, that you like. I know when I was 260 pounds I couldn’t do much, so I started out just on elliptical and ARC trainer. I built my endurance there and moved on to other things. I’m now 204 and it is so much easier to exercise. I actually love it! I jog, walk, swim, do dance classes, hit the gym.. anything to keep my active and burning calories. I tend not to do the same thing every day to keep myself from being bored.

I’m not sure how heavy you are now, but that may be a reason why you don’t like exercise because of the difficulty level. Just keep pushing. Find things you like to do. Take it slow & build endurance. You will get the hang of it!
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    exercise is something that gets better with time. Keep pushing yourself and it will become part of your routine. I barely went to the gym a year ago. Now when i miss a day, I feel a bit sad. Just keep at it. Exercise is not your enemy, it is more like your best friend.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Do you hate being unhappy with your body as much as you hate training?
  • rheelizabeth
    rheelizabeth Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Try walking? With an MP3 player walking for an hour is not that tough, and it can burn enough calories for your day (especially if you're very overweight like me, I burn 300 calories an hour walking).
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Have you tried activities like riding a bike, playing basketball or swimming? Sometimes it helps to do an activity that you usually enjoy but it's exercise as well.

Good luck!

Exactly. "Exercise" doesn't have to mean a gym or DVD or running for miles and miles. You just have to find an activity you enjoy that also burns calories.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am going to suggest that you find something you can set goals in.

If you are doing hours of workouts, I would suggest looking into High Intensity Interval Training. At the very least you can hate exercise for a shorter amount of time. I do the HIIT about 15 - 20 minutes a day five days a week. I started the HIIT because I hated exercise.
    Full disclosure, sometimes I still don't want to do it. But I can do anything for 15 minutes a day if the rewards are significant. I am 40 lbs down, so I will keep doing it. And I actually enjoy beating my old record for number of reps in 50 seconds.

I use a free website www.bodyrock.tv I also spend a lot of time on www.nerdfitness.com.

PM me if you need any other info on what I do.
  • ChelseaM18
    ChelseaM18 Posts: 303
    Options
    Think you just need to find one that will take your interest and make you want to get better at it. I absolutely hated running, I whined the whole 3 minutes I could do it before I had to walk, but it pissed me off so much that I could only do a few minutes that I kept at it until I could run an extra length each time and now I love it :D . I can run over 5k continuously now after only a couple months and it makes me want to get better.

Plus it doesn't cost a thing to get out there and run on the road :)

Good Luck!
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    I found with myself I have to find something I will stick to. Luckily the gym I go to is where I work (Army installation) and there are great motivators there..plus my boss encourages it. Zumba is so fun..you should try to find a class..you would love it if you love Zumba for Wii.
  • shel1103
    shel1103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Yes I hate it. With a passion.

I cannot find a single activity that I enjoy doing but I know if I don't do anything I'll just get fatter and fatter.

I am doing Wii Biggest Loser which actually kills me so it must be doing some good but I don't know if its enough.

Anyone got any wise words to share with me to give me a bit of motivation?

I am right there with you... I don't think I will ever be one of those people who loves going to the gym. Once you get in the habit, it's less painful (mentally), and just seems like something that you do daily. Keep trying to picture where you want to be and where you want to stay. Exercise to be healthy. It doesn't take a lot. Obviously the more, the better... But suck it up for 30 minutes a day and you will like the change you see. : )

XOXOXO - You can do it!!!
  • Merrychrissmith
    Merrychrissmith Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I use a recumbent bike and read! I love to read and often am slightly annoyed that 30 minutes is up before I am ready to put down my book. I do bent knee situps before and after because they are quick. I sometimes want to read, so I do an extra 30 min session. (Yes, I read a lot and it is wonderful escapism. And now I get some physical return from it too.)