People 'looking down' on my 'diet'

Options

Replies

• cristaine
    cristaine Posts: 87
    Options
    Lately I have been telling people I have been eating for my own biology and hacking my health. That is sufficiently nerdy that most of them pay little attention after that. =) But, that is actually true. I am giving my body what (I have concluded) it needs right now, and trying to figure out the rest while cutting out most heavily processed foods. "If it didn't walk, or grow in the ground, I don't eat it." Bit of a generalization, but that is 80% of it =) I also tell them there is no ONE way right for everyone, or one lifestyle would work for everyone. And it doesn't, so that is simply not true.

There is a stigma to it (eating healthy and trying to get into great shape) for the overweight though because you don't see people asking athletes " OMG why are you running a marathon, you are totally going to deplete your glycogen stores and maybe totally die not eating that donut now" No, they take THAT sort of training seriously (or more seriously) but I consider myself training for my best life. Besides, since I didn't ask them to coach me I take the unpaid diet and fitness advice with a grain of salt :P

Consider them recruiting for team "Fat *kitten*" when they give you trouble. They need more players on their team to keep up morale. Usually the visual alone is enough to just let you smile and carry on.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    They probably just don't find you as fun anymore and deep down they are jealous.

Continue what you are doing, don't "preach" to them about it...

Then get in like the most amazing shape of your life and "accidentally" show up to work in very skimpy clothes with a really fit guy...hahah

I'd just let it slide.. ;)

Good luck
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    They are jealous because they don't have the motivation, inspiration, and fortitude.

Haters gonna hate.
  • LadyKatieBug
    LadyKatieBug Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    This!!
    Well, then don't call it a diet. Call it "eating better for my own health and happiness". If they still look down on you, tell them to suck it. In 30 years you can laugh again because they'll be complaining of health issues and you won't.
    thanks I will have to use that advice
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    is there any way to readjust YOUR thinking? I'm the opposite. I call what I'm doing a diet, my friends (even on mfp) snap at me that it's a lifestyle change.. I just say 'whatever...' it's working....( they also point out that I 'lie' to my phone. heh heh heh.)
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I do. And they look confused when I say I'm losing weight through exercise and how I eat. But I've never once had someone ask for more detail. I think they were hoping I had a quick fix. Oh well. I'm getting healthier. :)
  • bleacheblonde
    bleacheblonde Posts: 333
    Options
    Don't let anybody else bring you down...do what's right for you and IGNORE them!

I have found that people get uncomfortable sometimes when overweight people decide to make better choices and challenge the status quo. People like to categorize those that they know, and when you occupy the space labelled "fat person," people don't like it when you decide to step out of that identity. Then they have to re-evaluate you as a person and sometimes they are jealous that you have the power to change your life.

I heard alllll kinds of nay-saying when I lost weight for the first time in my early 20s, because for years and years I had always been the fat girl, and people didn't like that they could no longer categorize me that way. I challenged established views they had about me. They were always like "You're not anorexic, are you?" (I still weighed 160 pounds, not even skinny)..."Are you eating enough?" "You're done losing weight, right?" Ummm no I'm not, F you!
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I had three surgeries last year, and I can't begin to count the number of rude people who have said, "Oh, you lost all that weight because you were sick, right?" Don't sell me short. I lost "all that weight" by moving my *kitten* and watching what I put into my mouth.

I don't like to talk too much about my efforts to get healthy while I am at work. And you know what? The people that matter really don't mind, and the people that mind really don't matter!
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Ummm. You are making them feel terrible and uncomfortable and they are taking it out on you. You are making healthy choices and they are not. Stick to your guns. Do what you need to do to be healthy and ignore everybody else.

I totally agree ^^^^

A girl I work with is currently on the HGC diet. DUMBEST thing EVER!!!! Eating 500 cal/day and putting some stupid drops on your tongue is not going to get you to lose weight! I told her that when it doesn't work to come talk to me and I'll help her lose weight the right way. I swear people think that when you start running you should be able to run 6 miles like it's nothing. I run 5-6 times a week and running 6 miles is hard! You have to work up to strenuous physical activity and you have to make dietary changes small otherwise you'll gain everything back!!

Long story short, don't feel down on yourself. You're doing great! I love hearing that people are so uncomfortable with others feeling great and beginngin to look great too--that means that they just might try it too! Keep your head up!! :) You'll be an inspiration one of these days!!

Thanks =) I don't see why they look at me like I'm doing something crazy.. I know people doing all those 'cleanses'.. as soon as you eat anything your body is going to store it as fat.. =/ Least I'm doing to so it will last.

I feel much better about it all now. =)
  • amandagaines_05
    amandagaines_05 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yes I do! Me and my husband both are on a lifestyle change. And even family frowns upon it. People will make negative comments like, Oh well, I'm going to eat what I want, and enjoy it. and ect. ect. But I just tell myself, THEY ARE JEALOUS! Because they can't use self-discipline like we can! :-) Keep your head up! And when the weight starts falling off, they won't be able to say too much at all!
  • emnk5308
    Options
    Don't let anybody else bring you down...do what's right for you and IGNORE them!

I have found that people get uncomfortable sometimes when overweight people decide to make better choices and challenge the status quo. People like to categorize those that they know, and when you occupy the space labelled "fat person," people don't like it when you decide to step out of that identity. Then they have to re-evaluate you as a person and sometimes they are jealous that you have the power to change your life.

I heard alllll kinds of nay-saying when I lost weight for the first time in my early 20s, because for years and years I had always been the fat girl, and people didn't like that they could no longer categorize me that way. I challenged established views they had about me. They were always like "You're not anorexic, are you?" (I still weighed 160 pounds, not even skinny)..."Are you eating enough?" "You're done losing weight, right?" Ummm no I'm not, F you!
    I never did think about it like this! Thank you =)
  • deniselynn13
    deniselynn13 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been telling people I have been eating for my own biology and hacking my health. That is sufficiently nerdy that most of them pay little attention after that. =) But, that is actually true. I am giving my body what (I have concluded) it needs right now, and trying to figure out the rest while cutting out most heavily processed foods. "If it didn't walk, or grow in the ground, I don't eat it." Bit of a generalization, but that is 80% of it =) I also tell them there is no ONE way right for everyone, or one lifestyle would work for everyone. And it doesn't, so that is simply not true.

There is a stigma to it (eating healthy and trying to get into great shape) for the overweight though because you don't see people asking athletes " OMG why are you running a marathon, you are totally going to deplete your glycogen stores and maybe totally die not eating that donut now" No, they take THAT sort of training seriously (or more seriously) but I consider myself training for my best life. Besides, since I didn't ask them to coach me I take the unpaid diet and fitness advice with a grain of salt :P

Consider them recruiting for team "Fat *kitten*" when they give you trouble. They need more players on their team to keep up morale. Usually the visual alone is enough to just let you smile and carry on.

I absolutely 100% agree with this and love it! Great words of wisdom and i love the recruiting for team "Fat *kitten*"! I am so stealing that! =)

I don't tell people much about what i am doing because i know most won't support it and most don't truly care. My frustration comes when people notice i am losing weight and ask what i am doing, to which i always reply "eating clean and working out," they respond as if i was doing the most impossible thing in the world. :huh: Then they insist i must be taking pills or be on a strict diet. To which i simply reply, nope, just eating clean and working out. Oh, the simplicity of it! =)

They are doing the Biggest Loser competition at work and there are several people doing the very unsafe HCG diet and only eating 500 calories a day. Many ask why i didn't join in the competition (while others thank me for not cause they say i would be kicking everyone's *kitten* lol) and i simply tell them i support a healthy lifestyle, not an unhealthy quick fix. The way many who are doing this are losing weight is not healthy. When they did this competition in the past,i watched everyone gain the weight right back right away. I know for myself i am better off.

Don't let them get to you. You know who supports you and who doesn't, who cares and who doesn't. The main thing is you are making the right choice for you and screw everyone else. When they are all miserable, unhappy and unhealthy we will be laughing at the jealous nature of their comments!!!!

Keep up the good work and strong committment!!!

:smile: :flowerforyou:
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I have a coworker who brings in donuts, honey buns, cookies, cupcakes all the time for us...nice, right? But when I, politely decline I hear, "oh you're trying to be good" or "one little ___ isn't going to hurt". I'd rather NOT eat the 'bad' stuff and feel better later than eat it and feel bloated and yucky later. And yes, it's a lifestyle change but I've found it easier as I go because I'm informed on what's what and what I can eat and how much is going to be ok. Thank goodness for the MFP app on my phone, so I can log wherever I go
  • EmmasMomma2008
    Options
    Try not to let it bother you. You know its not a diet, and thats what matters. You shouldn't feel bad about trying to be a healthier you. They are likely just jealous.
  • FammaMel
    FammaMel Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I just read this quote on Facebook and find it resonates here. "When people have something bad to say about you, it’s because they don’t have anything good to say about themselves." ~Unknown

I believe the problem is that they are not ready for a healthy lifestyle change. Just continue on your path and don't mind those who bring on negative energy your way. Keep doing what your doing and ignore their gestures... You know better and that's all that matters!
  • emnk5308
    Options
    I have been getting this a LOT from the ladies at work that are on Weight Watchers.. I said 'I've lost 10 lbs' and she says, you eat a lot of sugar! You should do this... O.O ? She has no idea what I eat! My neighbor does it too.. Its like.. I've already lost weight.. I don't need you to tell me what diet will work! I'm doing just fine.

You've accomplished so much to be proud of already! Pfft!! to them. You're my inspiration for the day, so thanks for sharing.
    [/quote]

The one has been on it for awhile I think, and I don't see anything different. At least I know I've some weigh toff.
    You just made my day saying I inspired you :flowerforyou:
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Thankfully every one around me is supportive and some also want to lose weight. If someone asks, I just say I am eating healthier which is the truth.
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Don't try act superior about your food. I think I'd eat outside under a nice shade tree if I could find one. I agree with Therealangd.
  • Kanohane
    Kanohane Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Why would that offend anyone? you're making a lifestyle change which has to include dietary limits or else it won't work....I seriously doubt they say "diet" because they're jealous or look down on you....I say diet all the time......its not supposed to be offensive its just what its called... "such a selection or a limitation on the amount a person eats for reducing weight: ". Don't take it so harshly when people say diet...I'm on a diet just like you.
  • JSmall13022
    Options
    I agree with what someone else said...you are reminding them that they are eating poorly and they feel bad about themselves. Its what's going on with THEM!! (Like when someone in a group of friends quits drinking, it makes the group question their own drinking habits.) It's hard but try not to let it bother you just stay focused.