How do you say it?

Replies

• wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    I will get lazy with my speech (leave the "g" off of words ending in "ing," or softening "t"s to "d"s) but I don't think there is any word that I consistently mispronounce.

One of the best compliments I think I've received was "You don't sound like you're from West Virginia."
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Most things that ends in an"o" becomes an "a". Tomata, potata,
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,832 Member
    How about "dyeat yet"?? Or referring to eggs over easy as "dippy eggs"? LOL!

I say "dippy eggs" too. But I pronounce eggs as "eh-ggs"

Or, here we've got a huge coffee chain called Tim Horton's and my family makes fun of me for pronouncing "Horton's" as "*kitten*-duns."
  • EmCarroll1990
    I will get lazy with my speech (leave the "g" off of words ending in "ing," or softening "t"s to "d"s) but I don't think there is any word that I consistently mispronounce.

One of the best compliments I think I've received was "You don't sound like you're from West Virginia."

My dad lives there now and his speech has gone to the sh*tter.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Sherbet.... Pepole like to add an extra R. It is not SherbeRt!

This irritates me. I actually got a bucket of sherbet to show a friend how it's spelled and she STILL insists it's "sherbeRt" just to bug me.

Also, people in the south make fun of my pronunciation of "lilac". They say "lie-lack". Up north (you know, where there are loads of actual lilacs), we say "lie-lock".

Worse: "supposively" / "supposably" / etc instead of the actual word, which is "supposedly" ... when did reading get hard for grown adults? :huh:
  • I say farhead instead of forehead

from DE so like eastern PA folks I also say arnge instead of orange. But I say wader not wooder or water
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,339 Member
    Another one that peeves me is when people pronounce the t in often lol
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,284 Member
    Ive been told I say the word bathroom weird.
  • 10acity
    Another one that peeves me is when people pronounce the t in often lol

It bugs me when people don't! :laugh:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    After being made fun of for years, I had to train myself to pronounce antenna correctly. Used to say AN-TAN-AH for some reason...

DH recently made fun of me for pronouncing golf oddly. Apprently my tongue can't tell the difference between gulf and golf - they both sound the same. Not sure I'll ever get that one right.

I've been known to say "horror" like "*kitten*" as well. My bro loves picking on me for that.

Good to know others pronounce bagel like BAG-el. My mother does that - no idea where she picked it up.
  • EmCarroll1990
    Sherbet.... Pepole like to add an extra R. It is not SherbeRt!

This irritates me. I actually got a bucket of sherbet to show a friend how it's spelled and she STILL insists it's "sherbeRt" just to bug me.

Also, people in the south make fun of my pronunciation of "lilac". They say "lie-lack". Up north (you know, where there are loads of actual lilacs), we say "lie-lock".

Worse: "supposively" / "supposably" / etc instead of the actual word, which is "supposedly" ... when did reading get hard for grown adults? :huh:

I say "sorbet" that could be a totally different thing, but anytime I read sherbet, I say "sorbet."

ETA: I don't pronounce the "T" in it though.
  • _SpeshK_
    _SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
    I know people who can't pronounce the word "drawer" and they say something along the lines of "JOOR."
    I also have a friend who says the word "disgusting" as DIZZ-GUZZ-TEENG. She really draws it out too, haha.
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    I crack up when I hear..

"What canna serp do ya'll gat?"

"Somebody caw da ammalamps"

"Gatta go to da stow and get some arnge juice and fuewt"

"I'm gon' take my chirrin home"

And the word....WAWTA..........water
  • 10acity
    I know people who can't pronounce the word "drawer" and they say something along the lines of "JOOR."
    I also have a friend who says the word "disgusting" as DIZZ-GUZZ-TEENG. She really draws it out too, haha.

It kinda bugs me when people pronounce "-ing" as "-een". Like, say, "disgust-een". Ack.

I swallow my Ts, though. As in, "button" or "cotton"... I'm not even sure how to type what it actually sounds like. A friend of mine makes fun of me for it, even though I'm pretty sure she doesn't say them much differently.
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    I say farhead instead of forehead

from DE so like eastern PA folks I also say arnge instead of orange. But I say wader not wooder or water

I've heard people refer to their forehead..as "Fard"
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    You should be from where I was born and raised... and leave off all your "r"s. Like Lobstah, cah, front yahd, and then move south and add a southern Y'all to your lobstah! :drinker:

Yep. There is no room for the letter "r" in my pronunciations either. Thick Boston accent and all.

The only one that really throws me off is when people pronounce aunt like a homonym to ant. I always wonder why they know so many people with a hard chitin shell and 6 legs.

Hey I have a Mainer accent with a new southern drawl! And I resemble that remark they are my ants! Not Aunts! lol
  • terryjo623
    terryjo623 Posts: 101 Member
    I hate the way some people say foyer!!!!
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    I crack up when I hear..

"What canna serp do ya'll gat?"

"Somebody caw da ammalamps"

"Gatta go to da stow and get some arnge juice and fuewt"

"I'm gon' take my chirrin home"

And the word....WAWTA..........water

LOL! I cannot properly pronounce "ambulance" to save my life..it normally comes out something like "amba-lamps" ..smh
  • EmCarroll1990
    I hate the way some people say foyer!!!!

Such as?
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    I pronounce library with the R. I hate when it's said li-bary.

Schedule. Should be pronounced with a hard sch not sheshuale.

drives.me.insane.