Running in public- confidence issue

Options
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me what I can do to get over this confidence issue about running in public !!

- it sounds stupid i know...

the only place to go running near me is on main roads and streets, ive managed to lose about 18-20 pounds so far without running but i've been stuck on this plateau now for 6 months:3
I now realise I need to go running.
I like running just hate doing it in public (my only option)

thank you in advance!! :D

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Well, I got over it LOL. It was really intimidating, but I promise, no one laughed and pointed at me :-)
  • RunsForFood
    RunsForFood Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't worry about that! Just get out there and do it, before you know it you won't even notice anything else but being in the "zone"!
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it. I bike to work in spanx, I couldn't care less what those morons think. I am feel comfortable riding to work and I feel comfortable walking into that building until I change.

If they don't like it, don't look :happy:

I notice its usually the ones wolfing down a MC Breakfast sandwich that don't give the right of way or give me a dirty look...whatever, I just smile and ride. :tongue:
  • Insanity2bSane
    Insanity2bSane Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    How do you handle the whole bike ride and getting there all sweaty? Would love to do it but i work in an office, so i feel that even if I change ill be sweaty and stinky.
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have work clothes I change in to, we have a shower at work, so its not too bad :)

I take my bike into my cubicle and it sits next to me all day.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I have some tips to battle this!

Try running when there is little to no traffic.. This means either super early, or evening. I definitely wouldn't go running at 9am or 5pm on a weekday if you are trying to up your confidence.
    Wear what makes you comfortable too.. wear a hat if you wants, keeps you more 'mysterious' looking. Seriously though, people won't even notice you do, and if they do, it's for 5 seconds on their way past you and you most likely will never see them again! Whenever I see a runner, I think "aww, good for them!" no matter what shape, size, gait, or speed they are going. I must say though, I usually check out their sneakers!
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I have some tips to battle this!

Try running when there is little to no traffic.. This means either super early, or evening. I definitely wouldn't go running at 9am or 5pm on a weekday if you are trying to up your confidence.
    Wear what makes you comfortable too.. wear a hat if you wants, keeps you more 'mysterious' looking. Seriously though, people won't even notice you do, and if they do, it's for 5 seconds on their way past you and you most likely will never see them again! Whenever I see a runner, I think "aww, good for them!" no matter what shape, size, gait, or speed they are going. I must say though, I usually check out their sneakers!

THIS!! I had the same issue, I literally would only run in the dark LOL!! Now I go out whenever I can, I'm still a little intimidated by some of the runners I see but I get over it as soon as they've passed. I'm doing my first race in two weeks so that will be the real test :) but you can do it...it will take time! :)
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I run with my trainer, and he prolly looks funnier than I do because he runs the whole time backwards so we can talk haha.
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    One thing I read a while ago: people don't make fun of people running. I think once you start you'll realize there's nothing wrong with YOU running in public and you'll do it more. Start out running early or late in the day. Your confidence will grow and then you won't care when/where you run! :D
  • Anyaaaa11
    Anyaaaa11 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Honestly I used to not like running because I live right in the middle of my states capital. Very busy main roads everywhere. At first I would have my brother run with me so I didn't feel all silly but eventually i got used to it. & the reality is no one really cares how you look when you run, they probably envy you for getting out there and doing something. When I see a runner, I don't notice anything out of the ordinary, and I don't pick them apart.. Seeing them just makes me want to get out there!

If it's that big of a deal just take your head phones music whatever and just start running. Someone once told me that the hardest part is getting out the door and it's so true. If you don't like the way someone is looking at you, turn away and keep running. That's what I always do.

Are you going to let people stop you from reaching your goals Just because you feel a little insecure?
  • Giggle78
    Giggle78 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just think that if people do think any thing then they are thinking - they wish they were me. You know doing something positive and proactive about my fitness. (Not thinking anything negative).

That has helped me to feel less intimidated by running.

Also when I see people running I always think - good for them. Keep going!!
  • stacey1172
    stacey1172 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You're doing this for you and no one else...who cares about what other people think? But if you're that worried about it and it will keep you from running, try early morning or late night runs when there's not a lot of people out. Always remember- no matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everybody on the couch :smile:
  • patranus
    patranus Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You just have to realize that
    A) You will probably never see the people again
    B) If you do you will become a "regular" and others will be intimated by you
    C) Everyone looks like an idiot/fool running

Like most things exercise related (being intimated by weight room/ect) you just have to <blank> up and get over it.
    Ask yourself, do you want your goal? If so then stop making excuses and letting trivial matters get in your way.
  • jessie1480
    jessie1480 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    So when I started running/ walking it was thru a upscale housing area, it is just up the hill from where I live. And I shortly realized that the fire crew ran here too. I was mortified, I was far from adorable at 215 red faced and panting. But I keep it up, because it was working, and I ran into the fire crew( who I was sure was judging me) once in a great while. Months went by, and the fire captin stopped me in the groceries store one day( small town, gotta love it). To tell me what a great job I'm doing.

Moral of the story, most the time we are the only ones judging ourselfs, most people want to see others succeed. Don't worry so much. Go run have fun, it works!
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    ^ Jessie - that is a great story...

I feel like people would be "judging" me, too... but at the same time, I know I always think "good for you!" when I see someone running... who's to say most other people aren't thinking that, too?
  • mrsmorgan805
    mrsmorgan805 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I too hate to run in public. I too like others have said only notice the runner even walker for a minute and always think..."Good for them! I should start running!" You will be an inspiration to those who pass you.
  • lexg83
    lexg83 Posts: 2
    Options
    I, too, have this problem. Although I haven't been diagnosed with it, I'm sure I have some sort of Social Anxiety and Agoraphobia. It can be very debilitating, but during the times I have made attempts to go out to a track, I take headphones. I make sure I have upbeat music, that will help me focus on singing the song in the song in my head...rather than looking at whomever is looking in my direction. It also helps if you wear glasses and contacts and don't wear them...because it's just you and a blurry world! ;) Never give up and keep working at it!
  • jenslife82
    jenslife82 Posts: 229
    Options
    I think the only way to get over it is just to do it. No one cares what u look like.. And if they do that's their problem not yours. I weigh over 250 lbs and run in a tank top and shorts on a very busy public trail... I could imagine what I look like doing it now.. But in a year from now I'm sure heads will turn for the right reasons lol
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I was far from adorable at 215 red faced and panting. But I keep it up, because it was working...

OMG!! that is totally ME at the Y, don't forget sweaty and smelly too!. And of course, the main Trainer is a cute 20-something guy <sigh> (i'm married anyway...)
  • aegisprncs
    aegisprncs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I feel let that way too when I started but realized after a week that I was just fine because the other fit walkers/runners who saw I was putting in the effort gave me so much encouragement as we passed each other. I kept getting, "keep it up," "don't stop" and "you can do it"

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!