Anyone else suffer from anxiety disorders/depression?

Options
And does it effect your diet/work out routine?

If so, how do you push past it.

Replies

• XxYeaIrocxX
    XxYeaIrocxX Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    dang guess I'm alone on this one.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Anxiety and depression? Check. But I can't honestly tell you how I've gotten past it to do the diet & exercise thing. I just jogged something into place in my head (sorry about the pun). I guess my answer would be that I have a good therapist, which is completely unhelpful, I know!
  • antijen
    antijen Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Yes to both. I use my workouts TO get past it. I don't know what I'd do without them.
  • MissLexiLoo
    MissLexiLoo Posts: 43
    Options
    Since loosing my dad about a year and a half ago, I've struggled with depression. I find that the more I exercise the easier it is to control it. I've become really self aware of why I'm eating. If I'm eating because I'm stressed, or need comfort. It takes will power and determination to stay away from it. Sometimes I'll have a little of something, just so I don't feel like I'm depriving myself but then I literally throw the rest of it away, so I can't even get to it. Exercising for at the minimum of 30 minutes daily, 60 minutes is recommended though, releases the "feel good" chemicals in your brain to make you not feel depressed, they are actually the synthetic chemicals that are in antidepressant medications. If that doesn't work for you, I'm sorry :( it normally works really well for me. I just put on some music that gets me feeling good, gets me moving, and I can push through until I want to keep going longer.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Though not clinically diagnosed, I do have anxiety problems. I generally work out at home. When I do go outside (ie. Jogging), I tend to just put on my headphones and just focus on the running.

Diet? Nope. I think the fact that I've always been an outcast and have had very few friends has served to my benefit. (Don't have to rely on people, don't need moral support, etc.) I have very decent willpower and quite easily held to my diet.
  • poodlepaws
    poodlepaws Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I do! Depression and Anxieties.

As long as I stay busy and keep my mind busy, I stay on track but idle days are HORRID! I want to eat everything in sight, don't care about how far I've come or anything. I just want to be a slug.

So, to solve all this, I stay as busy as possible every day. I go to the gym 6 days a week for anywhere from 1 to 2 hours and the one day I don't go, I make sure I'm constantly moving and doing something.
    I will force myself to go to the gym when I'm having a bad day and usually by the time I'm done, I feel better.
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Yes to anxiety - definitely. I workout to help with this -- and it DOES. Exercise is my meditation and saving grace. My family appreciates it as well...
  • poodlepaws
    poodlepaws Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is always a new day is how I push past it all.
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have on and off severe anxiety, S.A.D., and I'm in recovery from EDNOS. haha lots of issues here. Part of what's even keeping all of my problems at bay is being able to 'let go' with exercise, so I don't usually have to push myself to feel motivated, I'm working out like my life depends on it some days.
    I also forced myself to find some interests again that I could indulge in - after getting all of my issues, I lost a lot of interest in hobbies, music, or social situations. Forcing myself to get back into that made me feel a lot better.
    Also, make sure you are slowing down enough to be able to have a day or more to yourself a week, it can really help with stress. I know there's other things that can help with anxiety and depression but that's all that comes to mind.
    A stressed body can be stubborn to lose weight, so just try to savor everything and let yourself be in the moment, and if you don't stress out over the little things you should see improvement with time. It takes patience. :)
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I just get into a routine and keep going with the diet and exercise, as I know that if it slips to much I will have frther to climb out of the pit. wish i could be more helpful but I am on a down at the moment.
  • twelbies
    twelbies Posts: 31
    Options
    I have had both.
    Since I have shifted my diet to mainly organic/raw foods it has really helped with both.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    nope not alone. anxiety, panic disorder & depression here. cymbalta has been the best for me with the fewest side effects while taking it (coming off of it is another story!!) but at any rate, i don't think anti-depressants do you any favors with regard to weight gain.

as far as my motivation - right now, i'm kind of stuck in this vicious cycle. weight makes me depressed, weight not coming off, makes me depressed. being depressed makes me eat. eating makes me think why exercise since i'm already a failure? the combo of eating and no exercise makes the scale not move or move in the wrong direction. this makes me depressed which fuels the eating. it's a merry-go-round i've been trying to get off of for years and have yet to conquer it.

i wish i had some great advice for you, but basically if i were you, i would minimally be sure you are doing what you need to to manage it whether that is meds, therapy or a combo of the two. i'm in the process of trying to find a counselor who specializes in disordered eating. i've have a messed up relationship with food for as long as i can remember, but only in the last 7 or 8 years really had to deal with significant weight gain as a result....
  • amander12
    amander12 Posts: 1
    Options
    i lost a daughter and i am a young mother i suffer from it everyday,,,,,im new at this site and would like to make new friends but i know how anxiety affects my everyday life i have had it for over 3 years now if you want feel free to add me...
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    You waited 3 minutes to decide you were alone? Dude, give people a chance to answer.

I'm bipolar, and medications and depression have absolutely had an effect on my weight.

I'm fairly stable on meds now, but I've been a bit down for the last week and haven't made it to the gym since Saturday. And I've been eating like crap.

I'm feeling better emotionally tonight, so I hope to have the energy to force myself to the gym tomorrow.
  • kr1ssy23
    kr1ssy23 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have both :( On meds and what not...Ive pushed myself to workout and that seems to help but Im not quite where I feel I need to be. Ive noticed I have better days when I workout :)
  • brittbonshor
    brittbonshor Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    yes.. and i am finding it very difficult not to OBSESS over my weight and stare at thinspiration pictures all day and not do anything else... i am fixating on food and thinness and fat and weight loss and I can't seem to make myself exercise even though i know it will make me feel better.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Nope, you're not alone. I have post traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, and depression. They all are well controlled with medications and since I feel better I have been able to exercise and eat well. Now, some days are worse than others of course but over all I have better control over anxiety and depression.
  • browneyez27
    browneyez27 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i do suffer from depression and anxiety and believe it or not i use them to my advantage... as someone mentioned, exercising releases those "feel good" endorphins in the brain and that helps motivate me to get my @ss to the gym ...u feel great and accomplished leaving there a hot sweaty mess, knowing you did something good :)

i also have a lot of anxiety, especially in public places when i feel all eyes are on me (even when they're not) ...the idea of going to a gym terrified me at first, but now i i do 4-5 cardio/hiphop/latin dance classes a week and really stopped caring about who was watching and who wasnt....

however, i still cant look at myself in the mirror when im there and have a hard time "weighing -in" to track progress because of a general fear of failure ...

guess what im saying is that doing something good for yourself ( like concentrating on your health and seeking support from others in the same boat) may be beneficial in coping with some of these issues ....do what you can, and try to push yourself just a tiny bit more each day...with improved confidence, you will soon start to change your mentality! baby steps!!!!

best of luck :)
  • kittycraft
    kittycraft Posts: 17
    Options
    I was diagnosed with depression in high school and quit taking anti-depressants toward the end of my senior year (honestly, they just were not for me). It's been three years and I think I'm considerably different and happier now, but I still have my down periods.

I am an emotional eater and that's been my main problem with trying to lose weight with depression. Then, after I've emotionally ate/ate something not so great, I instantly begin with the self-loathing. And since I hate myself because I ate so badly, I emotional eat some more. It's a slippery slope.

I guess the thing that has helped me the most was that I told my friend I was trying to lose weight and that I was an emotional eater. I spend insane amounts of time with this guy and eat most of my meals with him, so he's been around to say, "Okay, are you sad or hungry? Will that cookie make your life better?" It was really annoying and angering at the beginning, but now I'm really starting to appreciate the objective view on my emotions and my subsequent eating... So I guess I'm trying to recommend a diet buddy?

I have noticed though that when I'm really down, my muscles just don't work as well and working out is 10x as difficult as it usually is. It's really interesting.
  • spskinny
    spskinny Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have PPD. Exercising makes most of my symptoms shorter and less severe. I always feel better if I do. The hard part is all motivation for me. I have none, none when it hits. I try to make myself get up and workout, when I do I feel better the whole day. If its severe and I can make myself get up, I survive the day and push hard again the next day. Every day is different for me so I make the most of the good days and push through the bad ones.

Good luck!