Anyone else suffer from anxiety disorders/depression?

Options

Replies

• wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    anxiety!? no, why? did someone say I have anxiety!? who was it? why did they say that?

I DO NOT have anxiety and I'll slap you if you say it again ~

exercise, meditation/yoga, ativan and sometimes I self-medicate .. ok well not infrequently - so what? oh, and journaling. I write about what I'm thinking, how I'm feeling - what's going on externally ... get it out of my head & on paper. Helps clear my head for really important stuff like ... what was I saying?
  • YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Yes to both.

The kicker is that depression affects motivation, which affects being able to get up and exercise...

However, when I do exercise I always feel better, those endomorphines really do wonders on the brain chemistry. I try to focus on the day-long high that I know I will get from the exercise, not the exercise itself. It helps!

Feel free to add me if you want extra support, 'cuz i understand this well!

(PS: I will add that this applies to being past the part of depression that keeps you inbedand unable to function at all...Yes, I've been there too, although not in a long time...I keep myself from that through meds and therapy, when I need it. the thing is, about depression and anxiety, is thatthey are treatable illnesses, although this is very different for everyone too. But there's hope>)
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have GAD that results in a lot of obsessive kinds of paranoid thoughts and occasionally depression. I've never been medicated. It kind of wracks me every day.

Edit: Huge doses of Vit D and runner's high, two things that make my life significantly better.
  • GellisIndigo
    GellisIndigo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    anxiety!? no, why? did someone say I have anxiety!? who was it? why did they say that?

I DO NOT have anxiety and I'll slap you if you say it again ~

Methinks someone may have a bit of paranoia to boot! :tongue:
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    PTSD, schizophrenia, depression, anxiety and especially social anxiety.
  • SabrinaG1986
    SabrinaG1986 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have bad anxiety, and it stops me from working out often. I feel nervous when I go to the gym, I feel nervous when I go for a walk around my neighborhood. Once I get used to it, it causes me less anxiety when it's more of a routine. A big source of my anxiety is leaving my house and being near roads/crossing the street/being in vehicles, so it's really difficult to manage. I just moved so I'm in the process of just forcing myself to get into a new routine again.

Right now I'm using a variety of vitamins and supplements to see if it can help calm me down but some days I still feel glued to my couch because of depression. Sorry I'm no help lol.
  • KirstenRLD
    KirstenRLD Posts: 54
    Options
    i suffer with depression and PTSD and have done for 6 years. i feel like it has gotten worse lately, so things can be a struggle. i can find it hard to stay motivated, although exercise can make me feel calmer, especially yoga.
  • runningk919
    runningk919 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Girl you are not alone on this one! I have anxiety and depression both and was recently prescribed medication that helps oh so much. It definitely affects my diet and exercise, I have days where I just fill like a zombie. For example, Tuesday night I made homemade pizza with my kids and carb overload kicked in. Between that and the depression I was in bed at 8:30, but yesterday I felt awful all day. So last night I kicked up some tunes and cleaned my house then did a killer @ home bootcamp work out and I can NOT explain how amazing I feel today. For me my depression is in overdrive when I'm not being productive, but when I am I feel like I'm on Cloud 9.
    I don't know if you have seen a correlation between your weight loss and/or productivity with your depression but hang in there girl. Just remember how happy you will be with yourself and how proud you are. When I'm doing a work out that's really tough I push through by saying "Just think of how proud of yourself you'll be when this is over. Think of how disappointed you'll be if you quit." That helps me push. And don't forget sometimes we just can't do it alone, see a therapist and talk through your issues, maybe medication would help you too. I'm going to friend request you and motivate, we can always use some extra motivation. My diary is public so if you need ideas (not that I'm perfect, trust me I have a long way to go) please look and remember we all have days! :D
  • volvol16
    volvol16 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I suffer mostly from anxiety and depression comes later if I allow my anxiety to get out of hand. I tried medication, but 25 lbs later, i decided that it wasn't doing anything for me but cause additional depression because I felt fat and ugly. I quit the meds cold turkey and began exercising. I also started seeing a therapist to help me with family problems and just really focus on who I am. Then, I joined weight watchers and did great on that! Once i lost my first 5 lbs I ran my first half marathon and haven't looked back. I use running as my therapy now because it clears my head and makes me calm (my therapist was expensive!). I've lost the 25 lbs, but have gained so much! I have learned that 1. what doesn't kill you makes you stronger (also a great song) 2. the only thing you can control (about anything) is your reaction to it (so my mom will be a B, i just have to let it roll off my back) and 3. I hold my head up high because I know that the past 12 years of my life were better than the first 15 and it's only going to get better from here!!! I still pick my cuticles until they bleed and chew my lips when I am really anxious, and occasionally, I will lose sleep over something, but it's not anything like it used to be. You just have to find out what works well for you. :)
  • Jori7071
    Jori7071 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    And you thought you were alone! I USED to have anxiety to the point where I was agoraphobic and extremely suicidal. I was finally forced out of the house to see a physician for it. A nurse at the doctors office seen my scripts for Prozac (the drug of the day) and asked it I had anxiety issues and depression. I said yes. She said, you don't need medication-you need to realize that God is in control. Put him in the center of your life and you will be amazed at how feeling like everything is out of control goes away. SHE WAS RIGHT! I have never taken any of the meds that were perscribed to me that day and it was not easy. Nothing worth having ever is. Now-10 years later I am free. I still have an occasional panic attack, often I find they are brought on by high levels of caffine in my day.....guess they elevate the heart rate that throws me into panic mode. I am so much more focused now on the GOOD things in my life that I have overcome the overwhelming feeling of dread and fear.

I hope this helps, someone helped me and I try to help others. I hope you find your peace and in the meantime-good with your fitness quest! You can do this!
  • bleacheblonde
    bleacheblonde Posts: 333
    Options
    You're definitely not alone! I have suffered from anxiety and OCD and occasional bouts of bad depression since I was about 12. The OCD at times was just terrible...I had a form of it where I didn't really do things like counting and hand-washing and obsessive cleaning, but I was a severe hypochondriac and would worry obsessively that I had some terrible disease and was going to die. I would become convinced that I could detect "symptoms," and little things would trigger my anxiety. I never wanted to be very social because social situations made me terribly nervous...I spent a lot of time studying and practicing piano and clarinet, so I became very good at those things, but my mind was kind of out of control.

I have found a combination of meds that works for me and I see a psychiatrist and therapist once a month. Sometimes it takes awhile to find the right combo of meds that work. Not all of them will turn you into a zombie; sometimes even one that DOES turn you into a zombie will not have that same effect if you take a smaller dose. Right now I'm taking clomipramine, and I started out at 150 mg which turned me into a sleepwalker, so we cut my dose in half and now it's working just fine.

When I'm exercising regularly, it really helps with my depression and anxiety as long as I"m doing it consistently. It can be hard to find the motivation to start, but once I get some consistency and momentum going, I find that it improves my mood considerably. Even my psychiatrist has said that exercise needs to be part of my "prescription." I just have to be careful not to focus too much on the numbers on the scale, because then I start to obsess about numbers instead of how I feel.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    It's super hard to beat it on the bad days. Because all I want to do is lay in bed.
    Usually I just repeat to myself that "I want to go run..." and eventually I believe it lol.
  • threnners
    threnners Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I meditate, I take xanax, and I grind my way through a workout even though my brain is screaming "STOP THAT, you're going to have a heart attack." Anxiety can suck my *ss for all I care.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    i have a question for you guys... is this something that can come out of no where... only reason im saying this is i believe i have anxiety now. It all started a month ago when i got sick and hit in the head by my daughter (dont laugh)... ever since then, i have been having trouble breathing and my mind is filled with so many thoughts...

sometimes i have trouble sleeping and i feel so depressed.... im in line to getting my deviated septum fixed but i think thats getting me nervous as well. are these all things you are all going through?
  • raven56706
    Options
    bump to see if anyone can respond to my response
  • XxYeaIrocxX
    XxYeaIrocxX Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    bump to see if anyone can respond to my response

I don't know if I can help you.
    Mine started when I lost a good friend and just got worse after I had my daughter. I have friends of mine that developed early and just got worse through the years. So I assume it can always be there, but takes an event in your life to really trigger it. My family has a long line of this so it really isnt uncommon for me to find out about it.
  • deadstarsunburn
    Options
    i have a question for you guys... is this something that can come out of no where... only reason im saying this is i believe i have anxiety now. It all started a month ago when i got sick and hit in the head by my daughter (dont laugh)... ever since then, i have been having trouble breathing and my mind is filled with so many thoughts...

sometimes i have trouble sleeping and i feel so depressed.... im in line to getting my deviated septum fixed but i think thats getting me nervous as well. are these all things you are all going through?

You should see a doctor. Self diagnosing or having other people diagnose you who don't fully understand it can be a bad situation.
    Being on medication and depending on that is NOT fun, it sucks. So I would recommend taking a test with your doctor than if it's dealing with mild anxiety you can maintain that with counseling, which is what I've done and only now have depression to beat.

But to directly answer some of your concerns trouble sleeping and thoughts that are overwhelming and coming out of no where are both symptoms of anxiety/depression.
  • raven56706
    Options
    my sister i believe suffers from it and she thinks i might be going through it now... freaking sucks because it came out of no where
  • deadstarsunburn
    Options
    my sister i believe suffers from it and she thinks i might be going through it now... freaking sucks because it came out of no where

It can be genetic, so you really really really should go to a doctor and have them evaluate you.

Just my opinion but I hate psychiatrists now, mine REALLY messed me up.
  • mlts10
    mlts10 Posts: 32
    Options
    I have both and those are definitely signs of both. You need to see a doctor and see how you can be treated. Might be with meds or just some therapy or things you can do on your own to help handle it. It is something serious though that you don't want to take lightly.