Do you shower before going to the gym?

Options
I am going to join a gym. I have been a member of a different gym before and I remember slowly getting super comfortable there where if I went early I didn't shower, in fact I went in my pajamas. I don't know the protocol at this new gym, as when I took the tour, my eyes seemed to only see very well shaped bodies. LOL.

Do you shower before the gym? And after? At the gym? What time do you go?

Thanks.

Replies

• karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    i am a bit of a clean freak.. and shower before i go anywhere.. zumba included.. i don't want to be the "smelly" one!
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    No, I don't shower before the gym. I go and workout and take a shower later on at home. As long as your not funky I don't think anyone cares.
  • jazziesaj11
    jazziesaj11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I never shower before I'm about to workout, defeats the purpose in my opinion. I always shower afterward because 1, it feels good. :P and 2 I need to afterward with all that sweating. xD I think it's kinda a waste of water to shower before when you're gonna have to shower after anyway. xD
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    i go at 4:30 a.m. i don't shower before i go i do shower afterwards when i go at 4:00 p.m. after work on don't shower before either i don't shower at the gym i've had athletes foot before it's not fun
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Showering before seems like a waste of time. Wash face. Brush teeth. Comb hair. Good to go.
  • Pete_Mann
    Pete_Mann Posts: 94
    Options
    If I go first thing in the morning, I don't shower. If I go after work, then I have showered once before going, but I dont take a separate shower to go.
  • PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Nope, I do not shower before I go to the gym. I shower when I get home, unless I go super early in the am before work, then I shower at the gym. I have not done that in a very long time.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Nope, but then I don't always shower everyday either. So there. :-P
  • healthylifeforme
    healthylifeforme Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not! What is the point of showering before going? I absolutely do not get the point of "dressing up" to go to the gym. I have to shower afterwards (at home) because I sweat like a beast. I typically go in the early morning hours (5 am to 10am) and I have to say I have never seen anyone in pajamas. Throw on some workout clothes, pull your hair back (or not), and put in your headphones. As to the very well shaped bodies: They look that way because they are working their *kitten* off.
  • darylinny
    darylinny Posts: 146
    Options
    I usually go to the gym in the evenings (after work) so I don't shower before I go, however I do freshen up. I train with a group of women and I don't want to be the smelly one! When I do get a chance to work out in the morning, I usually do shower before I go; but only because the shower helps wake me up!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    hell naaa yesterdays make up is needed to look half alive
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I could not imagine showering before the gym.. unless perhaps I fell in the mud or something like that before going. Within 10 minutes of working out i am going to be a sweaty stinky mess anyway...
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    I shower after the gym and always wear clean workout clothes, unless I've been digging in the dirt or something.
  • dmf80
    dmf80 Posts: 60
    Options
    Always, nobody wants to be the stinky kid in class. Also, I go to the gym at 4am when there are only about 10 people there. Why is it when the 11th person shows up they have to get on the treadmill right next to me??? They couldn't have used the other 30 open treadmills.
  • Catjag
    Catjag Posts: 107
    Options
    Normally no but I am usually up for the gym between 4:30am and 7:00am (all depends what time I am teaching). If I am having trouble waking up I may jump in for a minute or two to blast myself awake or freshen up. But I prefer to hit the showers after the gym or on my off day before I go to bed.
  • lomac05
    lomac05 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I always shower before the gym, there is always that funky person near by, it drives me crazy.
  • lucor001
    lucor001 Posts: 17
    Options
    Sort of (how's that for an answer!)
    If I'm going to use the gym equipment, then no shower (elliptical, weights, running track, etc...) but I do put on deodorant to avoid being overly funky. I shower after my workout.

If I'm going to swim that morning then I do. So yes, when I swim, I shower before and after swimming. The pool is dirty enough as is without me adding to it unnecessarily.

During the week I shower only at the gym which took some getting used to, but it saves me a lot of time.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Strange, I don't know why anyone would take a shower immediately before exercising. There's only one thing that I do that gets me all hot and sweaty that I prefer to be clean for and it has nothing to do with the gym.
  • lu136mickey
    lu136mickey Posts: 202
    Options
    I shower first but I normaly have to run errands before going to gym.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Nope! Not if I'm going soon after getting up. I wash my face, brush my teeth, hit the 'hot spots' with a damp wash rag, throw on deodorant then take a well deserved shower afterwards!