If MFP does not allow promotion of extreme plans like HCG

Options

Replies

• lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Just to reiterate what others have said - it is mostly based on YOUR searches. You may not have searched HCG, but you may have searched diet or weight loss something or other. Sometimes Herbal Magic shows up on my screen, but I have never searched for them. I do, however, sometimes search low calorie recipes and frequent healthy living websites. Another example: I was looking at shoes and dresses online and now there are ads for the Shoe Company and some customized evening dress company. I did not search either of these sites, but I searched similar products.
  • rebawagner
    rebawagner Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    its all about the Benjamin's baby
    TRUTH! It is how they have been able to have us use this FREE site! Just don't look if it bothers you.
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    I think it goggle doing that. I heard that what ever you search for on your computer it shows the ads on sites like facebook and mfp. I was looking for car speakers and when I logged onto mfp I saw ads for car audio. Its kinda strange and very stalker like.:grumble:

I wonder if I goggles murder what would come up as ads? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I think it goggle doing that. I heard that what ever you search for on your computer it shows the ads on sites like facebook and mfp. I was looking for car speakers and when I logged onto mfp I saw ads for car audio. Its kinda strange and very stalker like.:grumble:

I wonder if I goggles murder what would come up as ads? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You can opt out, if you like. I did.

http://www.google.com/ads/preferences/plugin/

Of course, that has no bearing on non Google ads.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    ads are taylored to the articles and searches you do, if you see HCG talked about all over the place on here - it will start showing up in your ads. Ive been looking at shoes and spartan races lately so all my ads are based on that.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    nevermind redundant post is redundant.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    The adverts are based on what you search for. It doesn't necessarily mean you search for HCG, but if you search weight loss plans, supplements anything similar to that and it may just give you an advert for it. At the moment I have an advert above for "Zagg Ora - Loose (sp) weight by doing nothing even in your sleep, get your hotpants now!" :laugh:

Also, a few days ago, I spent the whole evening searching and applying for jobs online. Now, around 75% of the ads on myfitnesspal are from online job recruiters such as reed, monster etc..
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    How about you just go ask a staffer?
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Actually, this is how I caught on that my husband was going to Vegas....

Every single ad was for the Venetian!
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Get adblock plus to stop the ads and ghostery to stop from being tracked. Ta Da!
  • dawnagetsfit
    Options
    Cookies.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Cuz bandwidth costs money, and neither you nor I like to pay for it.
    Also, its some good comedy.
  • sexycheesemonkey
    sexycheesemonkey Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    if it's a specific add that I saw the other day...it's about a class action lawsuit or something...at least that's what I get from it, I dont click on ads...bad things happen too often when my friends do, so I learned from their mistakes. And I am on HCG and this is the first time I've seen any ad pertaining to HCG...and yes I've searched it before...MOTNHS ago.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    nevermind redundant post is redundant.

You can say that again!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    The ads are modified by keywords you search for regularly, the keywords assosciated with the website and keywords that crop up in individual threads. Make a topic about protein supplements, and you get ads appropriate to that, etc.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Adds on here are based on search engines you use. If I searched for "russian women" on my google, my ads would be for mail order Russian brides...

I was looking online at swimsuits yesterday and have an old Navy swim ad on my screen...

exactly. all the adds i see are about recipes, clothing and shoes. OP you're seeing the ads because it was something you researched
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I get ads for Burger King :sad:

AHHHHHAHAHAHAHA If I have to see another pizza ad while I am blogging about NOT caving into my weight loss binges- I will CRY!!! lol or click and effing order the pizza....has been like a week since I have been bad........ :bigsmile:
  • ezramedic
    ezramedic Posts: 119
    Options
    Weirdly I have Pizza Hut on my screen right now. Which is very odd.
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you all are complaining about. Now I know the 5 foods NEVER to eat, I am not going to be fat anymore...
  • ANB22
    ANB22 Posts: 64
    Options
    I think they know me i have Jimmy Johns (just got done ordering) and Birchbox.... *LOVE IT* lol