If MFP does not allow promotion of extreme plans like HCG

Options

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Ad Block is your friend. I see no ads. I started using it when the nasty toenail fungus ad kept appearing.
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options

Actually, the other day I made mention of fairy dust and unicorn oil to spot reduce belly fat and got a warning from the MFP police about being sarcastic. So I doubt they would let me sell it on the site.

Sarcasm isn't allowed? What if I put a disclaimer on my profile?
    Well !@#$% (oh yeah...cussing is out too)

no-cursing-no-foul-language.jpg
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Ok, this makes sense now that it searches for similar things. I think I did search to see what other calorie counting apps are out there so it may have taken that and brought up the HCG adds and Sensa adds. I did not know your search engine was tied in. Still, with that said, you would think MFP could say that no matter what the search engine history is, do not allow certains adds and I would think there would be a way Google could comply. But then again I am no rocket surgeon.
  • LindaLouLu
    LindaLouLu Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Been google-ing video games for the kids, jobs for a friend, and clothes for the last 2 weeks...they give me a security system add and one for some "cleansing" product?!?! I think Google is on drugs.....
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    It's based upon YOUR search criteria.

I get amazon and engagement rings all the time.
    Go figure. I update facebook in jest and now everybody thinks I'm really getting married!

ETA: Just saw that you realized this.
  • mickeysgrl
    mickeysgrl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    LOL!!! :laugh:
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I keep ranting about how much I hate my accounting homework on my wall, and now I get ads for QuickBooks :mad:

Apparently I also like cake and cookies cause I get lots of ads for them too :noway: It's TORTUE :sad:
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Why the hell am I seeing ads for it on the site? Do they not get with their ad people and tell them to filter out certain ads?

I'm sure if you want to pay for advertising space you can hawk your wares as well.

Actually, the other day I made mention of fairy dust and unicorn oil to spot reduce belly fat and got a warning from the MFP police about being sarcastic. So I doubt they would let me sell it on the site.

OMG that was YOU?!?!?! I LOLed at such an inappropriate time at work when I read that *gives you evil eye* lol
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Why the hell am I seeing ads for it on the site? Do they not get with their ad people and tell them to filter out certain ads?

I'm sure if you want to pay for advertising space you can hawk your wares as well.

OMG that was YOU?!?!?! I LOLed at such an inappropriate time at work when I read that *gives you evil eye* lol

Yup, that was me. They deleted the post and the other one I had with it. I was just messing around but someone apparently did not find the bone in your pic.
  • annabelsmommy
    annabelsmommy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I get A LOT of Partylite adds and Old Navy adds & that is mostly what I look at on the computer if I'm not using it for work purposes.
  • torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Mine suggests I should become a royal marine commando... I'm not sure I'm their ideal recruit :-p
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Apparently I am rich and travel a lot because I got the Ritz Carlton.

haha! I have Celebrity Cruises on mine!
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    They could actually filter it out but it would be too much work to remove all ads and not produce any results. But if you have ad block plus like me, I don't see anything
  • andy13
    andy13 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Right I'm of to do a search for Jenna Jameson
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been getting ads for Pampers. I'm not preggo nor do I know anyone who is. WTF??
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    If you see the ad for HCG again, please let the MFP management know, and I am sure they will do their best to get rid of it.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Mines all GNC and Good Nights bed wetting mats.

At least it isn't philippino "sexy chat" girls anymore... I give people some marriage advice, and wham.
  • thefreebiemom
    thefreebiemom Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Right now I have a Personal Training get certified and get paid ad, a Bounty paper towel ad and a Circus Circus ad. I know the Vegas on is because I got an email from them about their recent rates.

There are 2 ways ads determine what to place. Some of them are based on stuff you have actually looked at yourself on your browser. Like the other day when I had Chili's ads all over the forum because I was looking up nutritional info on their site before we went there. I have also had Dominoes and Pizza Hut ads whenever I open an email from one of them.

The other way is dependent on what the topic being discussed is on the forum. If you are in a thread reading about how promotion of HCG is forbidden then it is possible you could see an HCG ad on that thread. If a thread mentions babies or having kids or mom of x kids or whatever then you will get ads pertaining to kids like diapers and stuff.

It is not always something you looked up yourself. One time I saw a thread where the topic was one thing and one poster 3 pages into it mentioned something silly that had nothing to do with the thread and I saw an ad pertaining to that.
  • thefreebiemom
    thefreebiemom Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Its funny. I responded to a thread about someone from Canada looking for ideas on what to see on a road trip to the US. I told her that if she was going to the Grand Canyon then she should see all of the stuff we have in Utah on the way and while she was going through anyways she could probably hit Yellowstone Natl Park too. I now have ads popping up about Jackson Hole vacations (the city that you fly into to get to Yellowstone or Grand Tetons)
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Ok, this makes sense now that it searches for similar things. I think I did search to see what other calorie counting apps are out there so it may have taken that and brought up the HCG adds and Sensa adds. I did not know your search engine was tied in. Still, with that said, you would think MFP could say that no matter what the search engine history is, do not allow certains adds and I would think there would be a way Google could comply. But then again I am no rocket surgeon.

people perform surgery on rockets? :o

"Nurse get me my scalpel... "

"Mr. and Mrs. Rocket, we managed to save Junior"