Almond Milk/Soy Milk/Rice Milk--Which is best?

Options
agbaeb
agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
So, I can't have milk anymore (yes, please pause for a moment to mourn my favorite cheddar cheese....).

I'm looking for a milk replacement and would like some opinions on which of these 3 is better (or do you have another option?).

So far, what I know:

Soy-
Raises estrogen level
Soy is not so great for you
greater risk of cancer (or so I've read)?

Almond -
doesn't taste like Almond
Diamond is a good brand
Sweet?
Higher in calories

Rice Milk-
Eck...?
Not good for drinking
Grainy??

Help! :)

Replies

• seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Soy - No actual reputable studies that show soy causes cancer. Just think the Asians would be keeling over in droves since it's a major staple of their diet over there. Lots of flavors. I buy the light chocolate silk and use it to sweeten up plain cereal that has very little sugar in it.

Almond - Buy unsweetened and sweeten with stevia, equal, agave, etc.... I really like the vanilla flavored in my coffee and cereal.

Rice - Meh. Like drinking melted rice pudding which I am not super fond of.
  • Tanya8373
    Tanya8373 Posts: 16
    Options
    I buy the almond milk. It does taste somewhat like almonds. I also buy the natural/unsweet version. I use it on cereal and also mix some lite hershey's syrup in it. I have always HATED milk, but I enjoy the almond milk. I think this is why..... I LOVE ALMONDS!!:smile:
  • ItsDiana
    ItsDiana Posts: 60
    Options
    All milk or just cow milk? I've got a milk intolerance and prefer to drink goat milk. But to answer your question: alpro soya's got almond milk which is low in calories :) I thought it was about 50-55kcal per 200ml!
    On the other hand: there's loads of flavours to soy milk! I miss milkshakes most, and vanilla or banana flavoured soy milk is what I drink now ;)
  • sexycheesemonkey
    sexycheesemonkey Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I love Almond Breeze brand of Almond milk. It's not too thick, and have the same consistency as regular milk, where as Diamond is very thick in my opinion, almost like a creamer. I dont like soy milk, it leaves an odd taste in my mouth, coconut milk, I have yet to try and am probably going to with my next pay check. And rice milk was gross to me...lol but I had it a while ago.
  • AndMee
    AndMee Posts: 23
    Options
    I don't like any of them, but I too had to choose between the evils and the lesser for me was Almond. There are many brands out there so it may come down to personal taste preference. For me, my choice was Silk PureAlmond (Original). It tastes better when I put it in the freezer for a few minutes.
  • kirbear1980
    kirbear1980 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i would choose almond milk taste the best to me and it only has 60 calories (unsweetend) its great in smoothies :happy:
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    My favorite was 8th Continent Original Lite soy milk. It's the low in sugar and fat and still tastes good, but sadly no one around here carries it anymore. Instead I use Silk Unsweetened Almond for cooking and baking. I'll use either that or Silk Lite Original, or Vanilla, for smoothies and drinking.
  • Percyjs
    Percyjs Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I prefer unsweetened Almond milk. it's only 35 cal per serving and it's YUMMY in a smoothie! :)
  • kgeldreich
    kgeldreich Posts: 73
    Options
    I like almond milk best--pleasant taste, good texture/ thickness.
    I alternate between Trader Joe's Almond Smooth vanilla or plain depending on how sweet I want it.

Also some grocery stores carry coconut milk which I haven't tried (for drinking not in the can)
    http://silkpurecoconut.com/

Some also carry hemp milk (I find the taste too strong).

I used to get different nut milks from a woman at the farmer's market so you could also think about making your own if you had time---I loved pumpkin seed milk. She also had sunflower seed milk, cashew nut milk. They all just tasted like the nuts they were made from.
    http://www.cybelepascal.com/how-to-make-sunflower-milk/

http://foodbykristin.wordpress.com/2009/04/23/nut-and-seed-milks-the-benefits-of-soaking/

http://healthyblenderrecipes.com/recipes/home_made_raw_cashew_milk/
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I researched all (and coconut and hemp milk) when my daughter was diagnosed with Lactose and casein intolerance...

For us the conflicting studies about soy made us cross it off our list (mainly due to the fact most soy is GMO and it is in everything so adding soy milk on top of soy she gets in her every day diet of snacks and such was just to much for me)

Hemp and rice milk were out based on the taste

She didn't like coconut milk (but i did)

so Almond is what we wound up with - I do buy the vanilla sweetened because she doesn't drink all that much and she can afford (and probably needs) the extra calories with the sweetened. She may drink maybe a cup a day (her school has lactose free milk available)...I like having it on hand as I will splash a little in my coffee or tea from time to time.

For awhile we were doing lactaid milk but almond milk is actually cheaper for us (plus I can usually find a coupon) - we buy what is on sale or cheapest - it is usually Almond Breeze (because of coupons) but we have bought Silk before.

I also keep a small pantry carton of unsweetened on hand in case we decide to bake something that requires milk...They also have single serving packs of the sweetened Vaniila and sweetened Dark Chocolate - we keep a few on hand in case she goes to spend the night at someone's house or needs to pack her lunch for a school field trip.
  • agbaeb
    agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    All milk or just cow milk? I've got a milk intolerance and prefer to drink goat milk. But to answer your question: alpro soya's got almond milk which is low in calories :) I thought it was about 50-55kcal per 200ml!
    On the other hand: there's loads of flavours to soy milk! I miss milkshakes most, and vanilla or banana flavoured soy milk is what I drink now ;)

I'm not sure actually. I just got tested today and I CAN'T have cow's milk, butter, aged cheeses. I CAN have soft cheeses, sour cream, and yogurt.

Anyone heard of this?
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is not at all higher in calories, and in fact is much lower. The brand I use is Silk, I get the unsweetened vanilla or unsweetened regular variety and it's only 35 calories for a cup. I like it partially because it's heavy on the calcium and B12. It does not have much protein though, so if that's what you're looking for, I would stick with an unsweetened soy variety. You could also get the protein fortified almond milk, but I tried it and didn't like the taste, AND it separates in hot liquids (and I pretty much only use it in coffee, so that was bad). I find the almond milk very mild tasting, and it doesn't bother me at all, but I was never a milk person. I am not a fan of rice milk - not very tasty, imo, and I think it separated in my coffee too. I like Silk soymilk a lot, especially the kids vanilla (YUM!), but I've been trying to keep from taking in massive amts of soy, so that and the reduced calorie amt prompted my switch.

Have you tried coconut milk? A lot of people like that, but to me it was too similar to rice milk, in a bad way.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Soy-
    Raises estrogen level
    Soy is not so great for you
    greater risk of cancer (or so I've read)?

Almond -
    doesn't taste like Almond
    Diamond is a good brand
    Sweet?
    Higher in calories

I have never tried rice milk, but none of the above is true, except perhaps that Diamond is a good brand (which is subject to opinion).

Organic soy is good for you. It can raise estrogen levels, but it can also lower them. It has been shown to regulate estrogen levels. It does not cause cancer or raise your risk of cancer.

Almond milk does have a faint almond taste, but mostly tastes like water (probably because it is mostly water). It is sweet if you buy it sweetened. Even the sweetened almond milk is lower in calories than regular milk, and most soy milk.

Edited to fix typos.
  • ThatOthrVeganChic
    Options
    Used to drink Silk Light Vanilla soy milk. Now I drink Blue Diamond unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Its got 40 calories a cup and no sugar. However in my opinion it only tastes good on cereal or when added to something. If you are a milk straight from the jug person or a cookie dunker Blue Diamond Almond vanilla almond milk is pretty good. Its the only one i can drink from a glass. I don't like rice milk.
  • JenRLo
    JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure actually. I just got tested today and I CAN'T have cow's milk, butter, aged cheeses. I CAN have soft cheeses, sour cream, and yogurt.

Anyone heard of this?
    [/quote]

I had to all cow dairy when I was breastfeeding my son because of his lactose intolerance. Low-and-behold, I felt better too. When he was weaned I had HORRIBLE experiences trying to go back to milk. I have recently (about 6 years after my first failed attempt at reintroducing dairy) started with yogurt and low-fat cheeses. I've been able to tolerate them, but I'm too scared to try actual milk. I tried a slice of pizza and was sick. A friend mentioned that it probably wasn't the lactose in milk (makes sense because Lactaid the pills never worked for me), but the high fat content of certain dairy products. I don't feel sick when I eat low-fat/nonfat dairy. I don't know if that is the same for you - you'll have to ask your doctor.

As for alternatives, I agree Almond is best, it cooks well too. I too agree that there is A LOT of soy in everything so tend to shy away from soy milk, but when I need a chocolate fix, Silk Chocolate Milk is heavenly! You just have to remember one thing, do not compare any of the non-dairy milks to cow’s milk - you'll be disappointed. Just think of them as new beverages. Also, Soy Dream ice cream works for milkshakes.

Good Luck.
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I prefer unsweetened Almond milk. it's only 35 cal per serving and it's YUMMY in a smoothie! :)

^^This. The 35 calories is a big plus...:)
  • aleatha5
    aleatha5 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Are you able to do Goat's milk? My husband and son can't do cow's milk (a problem with the protein in the cow's milk) but they tolerate goat's milk very well. I also use goat's cheese to make things like mac n' cheese and grilled cheese for my son.

I like almond milk and keep it as a back up. I don't like soy for the reasons you mentioned. I also get them coconut milk ice cream and snacks (like ice cream sandwiches) and almond yogurt.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I've found that Silk's unsweetened almond milks are the most creamy and delicious out of the three choices. The unsweetened kind is only 35 calories per cup!
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Lactose intolerant. Silk Pure Almond unsweetened 35 calories a cup is the way to go for me. Taste great. Lowest calories on the market.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I can't have cow's milk or soy.
    It's going to come down to what you PERSONALLY like taste wise as a drink itself, none of them are going to taste like real milk.

1. Rice Milk - It's the one I like the best but the calories and carbs can be a bit high
    2. Coconut milk - I use it with my protein powder in the morning, it's good, but on it's own it has that weird coconut aftertaste
    3. Almond Milk - I've since been taken off almonds as well but I didn't like the taste when I tried it before then
    4. Hemp Milk - Gross.

I'm only intolerant to Cow's milk so next year I'm allowed to introduce Goat's milk and that's what I will be doing.