Almond Milk/Soy Milk/Rice Milk--Which is best?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    One of my posts was from the Harvard study site

It was from the Harvard School of Public Health site and was the same thing I posted. But it says nothing about studies by Harvard showing soy harmful.

I've read a lot about soy and have seen the dire warnings on the internet, but never from a medical site. I tend to ignore "health information" that can't be backed up by science. But, I don't want to hijack the thread, so I'll drop it..
  • vmessyness
    vmessyness Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    As someone who grew up on soy milk, I used to love it. But it really pales in comparison to almond milk. If you can get FRESH soy milk, it is amazing, but the kind you buy at the store is pretty lacking. Rice milk is plain old not good.

Silk makes the best almond milk. I like the "Original" almond milk, it is about 2/3rds the sugar and calories of a cup of skim milk, but MUCH MUCH creamier. It has a super neutral flavor, which in cooking and coffee drinks replicates milk the closest.

I personally do not like Blue Diamond brand. The texture is off and so is the taste. Not as smooth as Silk. Also the most popular variety of it is the Unsweetened Vanilla, which I find is almost bitter, and definitely not neutral enough to use in cooking.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

It was from the Harvard School of Public Health site and was the same thing I posted. But it says nothing about studies by Harvard showing soy harmful.

I've read a lot about soy and have seen the dire warnings on the internet, but never from a medical site. I tend to ignore "health information" that can't be backed up by science. But, I don't want to hijack the thread, so I'll drop it..

Actually it did:

In fact, a handful of unsettling reports suggests that concentrated supplements of soy proteins may stimulate the growth of breast cancer cells. (23, 24
  • Alma_Sana
    Alma_Sana Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Silk Vanilla
  • rainydaze613
    rainydaze613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I prefer the taste of unsweetened almond milk.
    I like the soymilk my mom makes from scratch (as in, drained from fresh cooked soybeans, or the kind found on Beijing street corners xD ) but the stuff you buy in western grocery stores can't even compare. I don't really like the taste of unsweetened soymilk, but the sweetened kind usually has more sugar than I feel is necessary. So yeah, unless it's homemade from cooked soybeans I don't like plain soymilk much. Soy ice cream and yogurts, however, are another story.
    I've only tried rice milk once and felt like I was drinking water.. so. yeah xP
  • eig6
    eig6 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Almond Breeze. I buy which ever almond milk is on sale though, the silk brand is almost as good. I also buy the almond/coconut breeze blend to make "Starbucks" lattes with at home, it mixes better with the syrups and adds a really nice flavor! I think its too sweet for most other things though.
  • minime2b
    minime2b Posts: 168
    Options
    Silk brand unsweetened original or vanilla Almond Milk are what we use. Only 35 cals and does the trick. My hubby feels this makes the best protein shakes
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Almond is the only one that tastes ok to me. Oh, there are also verious coconut-derived milk substitutes that don't have a strong coconut flavor but are pretty ok.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Hemp...mmm. For calories, though, I'd go with unsweetened almond.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Actually it did:

In fact, a handful of unsettling reports suggests that concentrated supplements of soy proteins may stimulate the growth of breast cancer cells. (23, 24

What do concentrated supplements of soy proteins have to do with soy milk? You said soy milk was bad.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Another vote for 8th Continent Soy Milk. Vanilla almond milk and vanilla rice milk are tasty beverages in their own right, but they have almost no protein (and the little protein they do have is an incomplete protein, meaning it doesn't provide all the amino acids). Soy milk has 8g of complete protein per cup, comparable to cow's milk, as well as healthy unsaturated fats. http://www.8thcontinent.com/health-and-recipes/health-benefits/soymilk-myths/
  • aftermemory
    Options
    I adore almond milk, although I really dislike the sweetened kind. I use unsweetened vanilla in my cereal and smoothies and I use unsweetened original in cooking recipes if it calls for milk.

I don't mind soy milk, though. It took me a bit to get used to (as opposed to almond milk - I found that once I discovered unsweetened almond milk, I took to it right away, but that COULD be attributed to getting used to soy first before trying almond) and started out just ordering it in my lattes at coffee shops. Since I don't know any place that offers almond milk lattes, I always get soy at restaurants or coffee shops and it's fine.

I never could like rice milk. Way too flavorless and watery, although I might like it better now that I don't really drink regular milk.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

Actually it did:

What do concentrated supplements of soy proteins have to do with soy milk? You said soy milk was bad.

1) I never said soy was anything
    2) That quote was inside the paragraph talking about soy products
  • southernsweetie1978
    southernsweetie1978 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I like the Almond Milk by Silk that has vanilla in it. When I get a craving for a vanilla milkshake, I drink that instead! I never been a milk drinker but I love Almond Milk.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Actually it did:

Ah yes, you replied to my reply to someone else saying soy was dangerous so I assumed I was still talking to the same person. My mistake. But the entire paragraph you quote from Harvard was positive, except for the supplements. I don't do supplements so haven't researched those, but would tend to believe Harvard that it is "troubling". As for soy milk, I also agree with Harvard and consider it safe.
  • jawolfe
    jawolfe Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Almond...unsweetened!!
  • JujuZum
    JujuZum Posts: 1
    Options
    I am in love with unsweetened almond milk! I used to only buy the blue diamond one in both original and vanilla, but now get the refrigerated ones because they seem to be a better deal and seem to taste better to me. Always get unsweetened because it is delicious and only around 35 calories per cup! You also get the added calcium that is even higher than in cow's milk.

Almonds have healthy benefits even in milk form, so I'd stick to that.

Soy milk is okay, but since we get soy everywhere and it's higher in calories, I have it occasionally in coffee shops.

Rice is eh... take it or leave it...

One last thing - if you are lactose intolerant now (me too) then you can still enjoy your cheddar! As long as it's aged, the lactose comes out of it. Just avoid fresh cheeses like feta and fresh mozzarella.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've only tasted the almond milk. I use unsweetened, which has less sugar than cow's milk. According to the carton, it has 0 sugars, 45% of your daily calcium, and it's only 40 calories. The chocolate tastes the best - but it has tons of sugar, so I don't use it. If you like coconut, there's a coconut almond blend that tastes pretty good and still has less sugar than cow's milk. It's delicious and creamy in hot cocoa or hot cereal. The only thing wrong with almond milk (to me) is it's a little thick. Otherwise, it's a winner. :drinker:
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

Actually it did:

Ah yes, you replied to my reply to someone else saying soy was dangerous so I assumed I was still talking to the same person. My mistake. But the entire paragraph you quote from Harvard was positive, except for the supplements. I don't do supplements so haven't researched those, but would tend to believe Harvard that it is "troubling". As for soy milk, I also agree with Harvard and consider it safe.

Here is the paragraph:

In fact, a handful of unsettling reports suggests that concentrated supplements of soy proteins may stimulate the growth of breast cancer cells. (23, 24)

Soy Proteins may. So any high level of soy MAY. Thin? Yeah. But it is mentioned. Yes, it mentioned in a paragraph how soy might actually reduce cancer risks.......
  • bcattoes
    Options

Actually it did:

Here is the paragraph:

In fact, a handful of unsettling reports suggests that concentrated supplements of soy proteins may stimulate the growth of breast cancer cells. (23, 24)

Soy Proteins may. So any high level of soy MAY. Thin? Yeah. But it is mentioned. Yes, it mentioned in a paragraph how soy might actually reduce cancer risks.......

"supplements of soy proteins may" is what is says. You cutting "supplement" off doesn't change what Harvard is saying.