Almond Milk/Soy Milk/Rice Milk--Which is best?

Options

Replies

• yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    There isn't? hmph cool, do you know if the almonds are really raw? or pasturized? Edited= ok just looked it up, don't like the ingredients, about a million gums to thicken it and also added vitamins etc. not my cup of tea.

I seriously doubt that it's either raw or unpasteurized.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is my favorite! I like the vanilla version in my cereal....yum!! The chocolate version is great too!

I personally didn't care for the chocolate at all. Thought I should add that since you asked for recommendations.
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I am in the UK and for me the best replacement milk product is kara milk replacement with calcuim its based on coconut

does not taste of coconut can be put into hot drinks and boiled without curdling and to me has no nasty after taste
  • chicago_dad
    chicago_dad Posts: 357
    Options
    35 calorie Silk almond milk = taste is OK (don't drink it plain-- mix with protein powder or cereal) = the way to go.
  • lewisab
    lewisab Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love Almond milk. I like Silk Vanilla or Chocolate Soy milk if it is really cold.
  • D2nawoman
    D2nawoman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    my favorite taste wise is almond... (diamond) and they do have a no sugar added one that tastes good to. Of course I like the chocolate one best. But in things as far as cereal or oatmeal or quinoa I like original almond milk no sugar added
  • KariDahlstrom
    Options
    There is an almond/coconut mix made by Almond Breeze. There is an unsweetened variety that I LOVE. It has 45 calories per serving. I used to be a HUGE milk drinker. Now I can't stand the taste of it because this is soooo much better.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I use coconut milk but only the kind that come in the carton (the cans are nasty and get thick) I have read too many bad things about soy milk to try it. I eat a lot of almonds so I may have to try almond milk.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    So, I can't have milk anymore (yes, please pause for a moment to mourn my favorite cheddar cheese....).

Almond -
    doesn't taste like Almond
    Diamond is a good brand
    Sweet?
    Higher in calories

I am truly sorry about the cheese. I'm a cheese addict.

I only switched from cow's milk because I live alone and almost inevitably just watch half of it go bad before I can use it all-- soy & almond last much longer! I used to buy soy, but switched to almond. I most often buy the Coconut Blue Diamond Almond Breeze -- it's only 60 cals/cup (which is 20 fewer cals than are in the vanilla 8th Continent soy I bought previously). I personally find both the regular Almond Breeze and the coconut variety to be delicious. Especially on the strawberry Special K !!
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    almond milk is awesome!! I just started drinking it. I have only tried the blue diamond original *not unsweetened* variety. It does have a slight almond taste to it!

...and it's about half the calories and half the sugar of 2% milk
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Almond Milk can be sweetened or unsweetened. I started with the unsweetened by Blue Diamond (45 cals per cup) and really liked it. My husband accidentally got the sweet kind and it is 90 cals, and really sweet. I like it, it just reminds me of drinking the milk after a bowl of sugary cereal, not really a replacement for milk, in my opinion. I use it in smoothies-with banana and blueberry it is sublime, sweet or not!

I avoid soy for the most part, I think there are some reasonable concerns about it.

I have never tried rice milk.

Nothing beats milk for protein though. I saw an ad for almond milk enriched with protein but I haven't found it yet. There is a link to a coupon here if you can find it:
    http://bricks.coupons.com/Start.asp?tqnm=xdpmdna34578474&bt=wi&o=98014&c=PV&p=QT6uRnFh&utm_source=YouTube&utm_medium=Banner&utm_content=CoconutFamily300x250&utm_campaign=TURTFY12
  • equestequine
    Options
    Almond Milk all the way! Almond breeze in particular. I like the vanilla in cereal but the unsweetened plain is just like milk. IMO.

I can't have dairy, gluten, coconut, crab,....the list goes on and on. Soo I've had to try a lot of alternatives. In the milk category - almond wins every time. Although I see it as an additive/indulgence to my diet. Not super healthy. Just something to help the occasional bowl of cereal go down.

Humans aren't made to consume COW milk. plain and simple.
    Avoid soy like the plague. Way toooo risky.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am actually very allergic to soy milk -- pay attention to your body's reactions on these processed soy products. These soy milks are highly processed...

How so? I thought it was made by just boiling dried organic soy beans. And while I realize boiling is processing of a sort, it's certainly not "highly processed". That's the same way they made almond milk isn't it?
  • lemosop
    lemosop Posts: 2
    Options
    I gather from what I've read that I'm jumping into this conversation a little late. But in any event...

The problem with soy is not that soy beans cause cancer, necessarily, but that they are so heavily fertilized which can have adverse effects on health. Engineered foods are seldom more healthy than natural foods, and generally one should avoid inorganic foods when possible (especially when the food, like soy, is particularly susceptible to absorbing chemicals).

I drink So Delicious Vanilla favoured Coconut Milk and think it's delicious. I do not drink it because it is low in calories or fat, but for a couple other reasons. A) Because it is a natural, organic, unfertilized source. B) I like fresh, light-tasting milk. Skim milk does the trick for me as well, however dairy sometimes bothers my stomach and cattle are heavily exposed to antibiotics and growth hormones.

Almond milk is also great. I just frankly prefer the taste of the So Delicious milk.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    We have been dairy free for almost a year and still mourn cheese every so often- sniff.. A Moment of silence please...
    Anyway.. My children prefer almond milk- I make it now. I prefer full fat coconut milk in the can.
  • mamamia05
    mamamia05 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic unsweetened almond milk is the way to go for me...makes a great protein shake too!
  • clandry11
    clandry11 Posts: 3
    Options
    I like Almond Milk! I find it taste good. I normally buy either Silk Almond milk or Earth's Own. The original unsweetened is the best way to go if you want to keep the calories lower. I sometimes use rice milk for cooking.
  • clandry11
    clandry11 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have been of dairy for a while and find that Daiya cheese is the way to go if you still want something that melts(pizzas, qusedillas...) in replacement of cheese. I can warn you...it does not taste like cheese ... but I still enjoy it!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The problem with soy is not that soy beans cause cancer, necessarily, but that they are so heavily fertilized which can have adverse effects on health. Engineered foods are seldom more healthy than natural foods, and generally one should avoid inorganic foods when possible (especially when the food, like soy, is particularly susceptible to absorbing chemicals).

I live in a fairly small town so I'm sure bigger cities have more options, but I can't even find non-organic soy milk. But I also do not agree that organic foods are necessarily healthier because of pesticides.

I've been drinking soy milk for almost 20 years with no negative affects (I don't like the taste of milk). No cancer, boobs didn't magically grow bigger, nothing. My PCP says I'm "the picture of health" which is not bad at my age. But, as I only drink organic I can't really say if non-organic would cause problems.
  • KRFinLeth
    KRFinLeth Posts: 22
    Options
    Almond milk. There's an unsweetened one with only 30 calories per 250 ml. I've tried soy milk but the texture of almond is better (I think). I've never tried rice milk.