Anyone else hate to be called "ma'am"?

Options

Replies

• pollyineedtobeskinny
    Options
    I'm from the UK near Liverpool so no one EVER uses the word ma'am.. I'd prefer to be called ma'am, rather than some of the words used here. :glasses:
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I use the word ma'am almost everyday you never know what rank a woman holds through her husband LMAO.
  • alipene
    alipene Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I love it! Only ever hear it from Americans though. Doesn't sound right with an English accent, and the nearest here is Madam - yuk!
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Most ladies don't like to be called "ma'am" I guess the association with middel age is a just one. I'm older than most people on earth and i occasionally out of respect call ladies maam. I try NOT to when addressing a ladiy in her 30's to 50's, but sometimes I slip. I think it is out of repect wne we use that term and maybe ladies should try to overlook it. But we, you and us guys are only human!!

Basil
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    most of the time it doesn't bother me.
  • Krizzo87
    Krizzo87 Posts: 14,186 Member
    Options
    I am not from the south, but my dad is. He was always raised to be respectful and did the same with me and my siblings. I call anyone older than me sir or ma'am. If I'm trying to get a woman's attention and she's clearly quite young, I will say miss, just in case they're unreasonably sensitive to this, too and I don't want to get their panties in a twist. It's a sign of respect people. Be glad that person isn't just saying "hey, you" or "hey, b***h. It has nothing to do with you being old.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    "Excuse me *****, could you fetch me a drink." I don't think that would go over well.
  • javajinny
    javajinny Posts: 78
    Options
    I was thrilled when I finally became a ma'am. :) in my twenties teens and kids starting ma'am'ing me and I loved it! It's a respect thing. It's not about being "old," it's about being wiser and showing deferment to that age earned wisdom.
  • itsmeterrih
    itsmeterrih Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Born and raised in the South, I raised my children to say 'yes Ma'am, no Ma'am.' It sounds a lot better than just 'no'.
    Of course, that is how I was raised. If I responded to an adult without saying 'Ma'am, or Sir' I was corrected. I can see it's old fashioned, but it's what feels right to me.
  • sahm23ladies
    sahm23ladies Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I say I'm WAY too young to be a ma'am. (although clearly I am not!)
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Despise it.
  • Fat2Fit145
    Fat2Fit145 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I do not like to be called ma'am. I realize that it's intended to be respectful but it makes me feel like I'm middle aged (I'm only 28). I'd rather be called "Ms"

Any ladies feel the same way?

hahahah.... i feel the SAME way, and im also 28... i feel so old when ppl do :(
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Yes because it make me feel old. I still feel like I am 17 most days.
  • kar1ey
    kar1ey Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    lol i hate it too. i prefer "miss" :)
  • SquidandWhale
    Options
    It really gets my goat when women complain about being called ma'am because they perceive it as something that ages them. It's a sign of respect by someone who was raised correctly--it's not about you. Ugh, it drives me nuts.

(I'm 29 and have no problem being called ma'am. I'm a woman, not a girl making 'miss' rather moot.)
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I'd rather not be called at all. :indifferent:
  • a778c466
    a778c466 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I like it. And I call every woman ma'am, and guys sir. I think of it as being respectful more than anything else and use it regardless of the person's age.
  • a778c466
    a778c466 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It really gets my goat when women complain about being called ma'am because they perceive it as something that ages them. It's a sign of respect by someone who was raised correctly--it's not about you. Ugh, it drives me nuts.

(I'm 29 and have no problem being called ma'am. I'm a woman, not a girl making 'miss' rather moot.)

This. I don't get it.
  • BioMechHeretic
    BioMechHeretic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Absolutely hilarious concept. You could move 2 threads one on top of the other.

1 thread with women complaining about being called ma'am and how they hate it, and a second talking about how guys don't have any respect anymore and chivalry is dead.

Seriously, it's because thoughts like this killed it. You killed it. Most guys have no idea wtf to even do anymore.

Being as I was raised right, I will always use it out of respect and if someone gets offended, they're clueless and I'm not much interested in them as a person anyway.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I do not like to be called ma'am. I realize that it's intended to be respectful but it makes me feel like I'm middle aged (I'm only 28). I'd rather be called "Ms"

Any ladies feel the same way?

Nope. But then I grew up as a military brat and then in the South... So no, it doesn't offend me. I think it did once when I was 16... but it is a sign of respect. Ms or Miss to me sounds like they are trying to denigrate me (if my name isn't attatched) and treat me like a child.