Anyone else hate to be called "ma'am"?

Options

Replies

• carlav02
    carlav02 Posts: 15
    Options
    I hate it too, but I understand why they say it, so I never mention my negative feelings about it when called ma'am. I just shake it off.
    :ohwell:
  • dezcast
    dezcast Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Doesnt bother me at all. No one says Ma'am or Sir where I'm from but when I travel I get it alot. It's kind of nice to hear acctually (and Im not old Im 26)
  • mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I know it's polite but I absolutely can not stand it!!!!!
  • S1NN3R
    S1NN3R Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I'm in Texas....it's ingrained in our DNA here. :tongue:

I don't mind it.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I actually like it. :) not sure why, but I do...

Me too.

Its kinda sexy
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    It really gets my goat when women complain about being called ma'am because they perceive it as something that ages them. It's a sign of respect by someone who was raised correctly--it's not about you. Ugh, it drives me nuts.

(I'm 29 and have no problem being called ma'am. I'm a woman, not a girl making 'miss' rather moot.)

^ this exactly. My mother is southern and very traditional. It's just how I was raised. It doesn't phase me one bit to be addressed as Ma'am. In fact, it puts a smile on my face when someone (especially a young person) has the good sense to use it.
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    drives me crazy. I know it's a respect thing but still drives me crazy!
  • hjkcollins
    Options
    I feel the same way when someone calls me ma'am, interesting topic as my grandson just called me that this morning and I said to him i'll give you ma'am...lol
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    I really hated it, until I happened to mention it to my (then elementary school aged) kids one day. Then they would tease me with it, and add "ma'am" after almost every sentence. Now I think it's charming; reminds me of my crazy kids!

I don't mind honey or sweetie, but then I'm from OK and work in pediatric healthcare and PEOPLE SAY IT ALL THE TIME, probably as a function of trying to calm scared children.

What I really don't like is when I have to call a call center for something and the person on the other end interjects either my first name or ma'am into every sentence. Good grief, once should be enough, I know they read from scripts but I wish those scripts would be revised.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I hate being called ma'am.

If someone were to call me sir I'd be fine with that though.
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    I personally don't care for it, but I suppose I candeal with it :grumble: haha
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Yea, I totally hate it when someone goes out of their way to be respectful to me.

I'd much rather be called a stupid b.
  • Wenzday7777
    Options
    i was always told in the service they are forced to say it but what it really means is ***** LOL and i hate it unless i have a whip in my hand that is ( just kidding ):tongue:
  • originalkazila
    Options
    I put on the military uniform everyday for work - it comes with the territory.
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    It really gets my goat when women complain about being called ma'am because they perceive it as something that ages them. It's a sign of respect by someone who was raised correctly--it's not about you. Ugh, it drives me nuts.

(I'm 29 and have no problem being called ma'am. I'm a woman, not a girl making 'miss' rather moot.)

^ this exactly. My mother is southern and very traditional. It's just how I was raised. It doesn't phase me one bit to be addressed as Ma'am. In fact, it puts a smile on my face when someone (especially a young person) has the good sense to use it.

Agreed. I admit the first few times I heard it, it kind of bothered me. Then I realized it's more about respect, which I'll take it, because let's face it, respect is sadly becoming a thing of the past.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I prefer "dark mistress" ...which is what I make my kids call me...:wink:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK near Liverpool so no one EVER uses the word ma'am.. I'd prefer to be called ma'am, rather than some of the words used here. :glasses:

Come to Texas or really anywhere in the South and you would be called ma'am... it's primarily a southern thing. Though military brats from all regions may have it drilled in their heads as well. :wink:
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it. I guess I'm used to it now.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I SO feel you! I'm 36 but get mistaken for a teenager when I am freshly shaved so I get called boy all the time.
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I live in Texas and work in retail. Every customer is Sir or Ma'am when I'm at work even though I am older than most of them. It's a sign of respect and I expect the same when I'm on the other side of the counter. It's a term of respect, not age. :smile: