Anyone else hate to be called "ma'am"?

Options

Replies

• Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    The first time it happened to me it made me feel incredibly old, however; I would rather be called ma'am than some of the other things I could be called.

better than btich or skank....lol....love you!!! but you might prefer btich.

I would prefer btich not skank, skank makes me sound dirty lol *kitten* maybe but it depends on the person and the situation really ;)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I hate it too!

At work, we have to call the customers sir or madam/ma'am when approaching them (sales/retail) It bugs the hell out of me.
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I've been called worse!
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 and still not real fond of being called ma'm. I worked at a military base and kind of got use to it as the airmen all were very respectful. I remember my mother telling me she felt very old when people ma'med her.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    What I don't like is when someone "younger" than me calls me honey. If it's an older lady or someone elderly I think its cute and don't mind at all but when its a younger person I think its kinda irritating.
  • caspergirl7
    caspergirl7 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Typically in the south its not because that someone thinks your old.. I say ma'am & sir to everyone even if they are younger than me.. Its just a sign of respect..
  • koalajazzie88
    Options
    I'm also from the south so I was raised to call all of my elders Ma'am or Sir ..no biggie really.... but now when I get called ma'am Im like "Damn I'm someones elder".......All in all though Its better than HUN or DEAR.. those are terms of endearment so if you dont know me then it comes off as condesending and rude!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I will respond to any greeting in the same spirit in which it was sent. Honey, darlin, sweetie, sir... I don't overthink it. People who use these use them on everyone.
  • sassykitty101
    Options
    I don't like it. But have gotten used to it. I hate it more when it is from people that know me, as they can call me by my name.
  • SquidandWhale
    Options
    Sometimes I 'No ma'am,' my dog to correct her. That's how much of a habit it is for those us raised in the south.
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Only when I'm surrounded by college kids and they refer to me as so. :laugh: LOL
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm also from the south so I was raised to call all of my elders Ma'am or Sir ..no biggie really.... but now when I get called ma'am Im like "Damn I'm someones elder".......All in all though Its better than HUN or DEAR.. those are terms of endearment so if you dont know me then it comes off as condesending and rude!

Here too. True Southerner.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I like it!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    You can take it as you will, but, at least for my generation, and the way I was brought up it is intended as a term of respect. I use Sir and Ma'am often. It is the way I was brought up. At home and in the Marine Corps. I start every relationship by giving the other person the benefit of the doubt.

If you want my disrespect, you have to earn it. You won;t like it, though.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I love it! It shows manners and respect. It helps that I am old enough to call folks sweetie and not get nailed. :laugh:
  • trailtripper
    Options
    Sometimes I 'No ma'am,' my dog to correct her. That's how much of a habit it is for those us raised in the south.
    ^ THIS! Wife does this to both of our Westies. They immediately sit at attention. Wife says they are better trained then me. I tell her that maybe to try a different type of award for getting it right "so I will remember"
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I'm not a Ma'am, I'm a Lady! :sad:
  • CountingCaloriesSuxass
    Options
    I like being called Ma'am..its makes me spank harder
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    I did until a ruggedly handsome older gentleman tipped his cowboy hat, nodded and said it...:blushing: OMG!!! Ma'am no longer sounded nearly as bad as it once did!!
  • starfish1783
    Options
    What I HATE though is "honey" or "sweetie" or any other term of endearment. I know it is a cultural thing too but I just feel so...violated? when someone I don't know refers to me in a familiar, intimate way like that. :sick:

DON'T CALL ME YOUR HONEY WOMAN!! :mad:

^^^ THIS!!!!!!!! I get called "sweetie", "honey", "baby" and every other annoying name you can think of. I work at a police department and i'm just like - don't make me have you arrested! It annoys the bejeezus outta me!

I would rather be called "ma'am" all day then one of those. Ugh! :explode:

Thank you. Rant over now. :bigsmile: