Genetics-- is that why you're overweight?

Options
Klamber26
Klamber26 Posts: 212
Watched Weight of the Nation on HBO last night. Had some interesting facts if you can make it past all the drama. According to the show, genetics are accountable for 60-70% of the factors that contribute to body weight.

Do you agree with this estimation? Do you think you were born to be a healthy weight, overweight, or obese? If not, what has led you to believe otherwise?

Replies

• Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Uh Oh...be prepared for the "OMG, HOW DARE YOU? I'M FAT BECAUSE I EAT, DON'T TRY BLAMING ANYTHING ELSE" train.

As for me, I think they do play a part. People in my family are large, we're very big boned and big people. Now the amount of food we all eat def. played a HUGE roll in why we are the size we are, but I've looked back and there are quite a few heavy people in the family.

As for me, I'm fat because I eat lol
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    While I would love to say that my weight issues are entirely my own fault...but I do believe that we are products of our environments to a degree. I love them all and mean no disrespect to my fabulous family, but it's looking like 'genetics' win out in my family tree for the obese factor. :ohwell:
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    The way your body is built and the way you carry excess weight: yes, genetics. My sister has a medium frame and carries all of her weight in her stomach area, so when she gains a few lbs due to poor eating habits/not exercising, that's where it shows up, just like my mother, her mother, and her mother...

I was blessed with the body frame of the women on my dad's side: very proportionate, small framed women who gain weight extremely evenly. I can weigh 15lbs more than my sister (and she's 4 inches taller than I am) and appear to be the same clothing size.

The actual physical gaining of the weight, however, is due to what you're putting in your mouth and how much or how little you're moving around. Now, if your family has always had poor eating habits and you gained weight just like the rest of them (or they had healthy eating habits and you remained in good shape like the rest of them) then it's not just your genes, it's the poor (or great) eating habits you learned from your family.
  • stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I hope not lol. Most of my relatives are pretty big.
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Yep. I have a genetic predisposition toward pasta, whiskey, coca-cola, and peanut butter.

It all plays a part, though. If I neglect myself, I default to skinny fat. Other people seem to default to ginormous, and other people seem to default to awesome. Lucky *kitten*, lol.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    The way your body is built and the way you carry excess weight: yes, genetics. My sister has a medium frame and carries all of her weight in her stomach area, so when she gains a few lbs due to poor eating habits/not exercising, that's where it shows up, just like my mother, her mother, and her mother...

Agreed. You may have chunky thighs or a big butt because of genetics, but you are not obese because of genetics. You're obese because you have poor eating and exercise habits.

This is just what we needed ... another excuse for people to stay unhealthy.
  • DrewMaxwell
    DrewMaxwell Posts: 269 Member
    Options

Agreed. You may have chunky thighs or a big butt because of genetics, but you are not obese because of genetics. You're obese because you have poor eating and exercise habits.

^^^^ Couldn't agree any more! If I were to continually blame genetic, I'd be HUGE, but I take responsibility for myself and my weight. I know, in what range I feel best and it isn't in the range my body would naturally have me settle at. It's all about personal responsibility.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    My body likes to deposit fat in the most asthetically unappealing way.

So I fight to replace it with muscle, or lean it out.

My Indian and Brazilian backgrounds are fighting to make my butt either flat or boing-y.I'm battling tooth and nail to keep it somewhere in between :P

I'm sculpting my own body and kicking genetics in the soft bits. :flowerforyou:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree that genetics play a part in the "factors that contribute to body weight", just like they can contribute to depression, high cholesterol, and lots of other health issues.

When I gain weight, I carry that weight the same way, in the same places the women in my family have for generations, but as with everything else, its just another hurdle to keeping healthy. Those women didn't kick *kitten* in the gym or for that matter, have the information available to us these days about health concerns. They also were never encouraged to be athletic the way girls are today.

Of course, its not an excuse to say "I'm just fat because my family is fat". Some of us just have to work harder!!
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options

This. While my family is all obese, morbidly obese actually, there comes a time to take responsibility for ourselves. I over ate and kept on eating as a teenager and here I am 32 at 370 lbs and I blame no one but myself. No more excuses.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Genetics can play some role, but I think what and how much we eat plays a far greater role. But, to pull out the saying from a comic I saw the other day....

It is ironic that religiously zealous people will say homosexuality is a choice, but that obesity is genetic....

*runs from the flamethrowers*
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    What people don't get is that being able to retain body fat is actually a genetic benefit.
    Who is going to survive a famine?
    Those who pack on the pounds easily. Our bodies are not designed for food that is so readily available in such abundant quantities. That is where the behavioral aspect comes into play. We now have choices and it is up to the individual to make the right ones.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I think genetics may be part of it... but I know for me it was mainly bad eating habits, no exercise, and portions that were out of control.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Obesity runs strongly in my family... I was obese, but I beat it through hard work, proper nutrition, and exercise.

Of course genetics play a large role in many aspects of our lives and health specifically; however, our choices can trump a large portion of the problems crappy genetics can cause.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    The majority of my immediate and extended family are overweight.

I am not.

The End.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I agree that genetics may determine where the fat goes but we all know it is calories in/calories out. I would not be fat if I didn't eat too much and not exercise enough. My children are in their 20's and both are at healthy weights. My mother was thin until she was in her 40's ... she stopped riding horses and exercising and gained weight. I can't blame genetics ... i can blame hand to mouth disease LOL
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Genetics? NO
    Donuts..Chocolate and Pizza? YUBETCHA!!!
    :drinker:
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I do think genetics plays a huge role. I am East Indian..so I do have a tendency of carrying a bit more belly fat..but with that said...you still have to educate yourself on what is good/not good to eat.

I have a sister who is about 5'2" and looks like she is about 180 pounds...she is fat..and blames it on society..not on her eating mcdonalds for breakfast lunch and dinner. She is stayed with my niece for a few days..and my niece blamed my sister for her recent weight gain.

I think we all look for reasons outside of ourselves for our weight..but at the end of the day..its all about what you put in your mouth..and how much you move. I know very few Indian women who are my age..that arent fat in one way or another...like being married gives them an excuse to "let themselves go"..I for one want to be around for a while..so I watch what I eat about 80% of the time..and have fluctuated between 135-140 since Thanksgiving..
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I know I'm not overweight by genetics because most of my family are skinny minis naturally. Especially my dad's side. I was over-weight because I had no self-control, motivation, and determination. Until I found some, and some other tools and lost 35 pounds. Now I have the tools and mind-set to keep it off forever! :tongue:
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    NO. It is not proven that genetics are to blame.
    Its because you dont eat right and you dont move your body. Technology has played an enormous role in this, as more and more people now sit behind a desk.

If you need to prove me wrong, please go find evidence of an obese caveman.