Sarvation mode is just wishful eating...

Options
All this 'i cant reach my calories etc etc... we were all fat that is how we got fat by eatng too many calories. Eat less, burn more, be thin!!!

Replies

• Jordant107
    Jordant107 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I dunno about 'starvation mode'..............................to me, if energy out is more than energy in, you'll lose weight!?!?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Inb4 OMG STARVATION MODE EXISTS!!!!
  • ALISHAWILLIAMSON
    ALISHAWILLIAMSON Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing! I wouldn't have a hard time eating all these calories if I was eating crap...but if I eat crap I feel like it:) I don't eat back all my calories, if I'm starving I'll have a snack. But, I don't worry about eating the 700 calories I just busted my butt to work off. Thanks for saying it!!
  • Jordant107
    Options
    Im not saying it doesn't exist, Im just a bit unsure as to it!! Logic would tell you that eating less would result in a bigger loss.......?!?
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode only occurs when your body literally has nothing left.. like an insanely low body fat percentage. The term is way overused. You lose weight by expending more calories than you consume.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    FAIL
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    All this 'i cant reach my calories etc etc... we were all fat that is how we got fat by eatng too many calories. Eat less, burn more, be thin!!!

Yup, that's it, simple as that!
  • michellegr88
    Options
    I have trouble eating in the morning. I dont feel like eating so I just drink my coffee and water and then its 5pm....I know that cannot be good on my body but I am just not hungry and kind of nauseous thinking of food and then I only eat 1200 if I am lucky I just feel like I need to eat earlier and then if its 1200 I am okay but eating 1200 between dinner and bed isnt good.
  • spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Im not saying it doesn't exist, Im just a bit unsure as to it!! Logic would tell you that eating less would result in a bigger loss.......?!?

For a while. Until your body isn't getting enough nutrients to support itself. My mom's a perfect example of this - she weighed the same for years (175), eating less than 1200 calories a day. I finally broke down and started helping her eat more, bit by bit. She gained a few pounds at first, but once that hurdle was passed the weight just started coming off. And she feels a lot better. More energy.

I wouldn't call her situation starvation mode, but her body was really hanging on to what it had.
  • Jordant107
    Options
    Starvation mode only occurs when your body literally has nothing left.. like an insanely low body fat percentage. The term is way overused. You lose weight by expending more calories than you consume.
    This I can understand!! I can imagine that the body would go into this mode as a 'self preservation' defence against burning muscle etc, but until you have that super low body fat %, I think that it's bit of a myth!!
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    STARVATION MODE the act of me stuffing free dinner rolls in my pocket at red lobster mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm there good
  • Jordant107
    Options

For a while. Until your body isn't getting enough nutrients to support itself. My mom's a perfect example of this - she weighed the same for years (175), eating less than 1200 calories a day. I finally broke down and started helping her eat more, bit by bit. She gained a few pounds at first, but once that hurdle was passed the weight just started coming off. And she feels a lot better. More energy.

I wouldn't call her situation starvation mode, but her body was really hanging on to what it had.
    Or could it be that her body just needed a change?!? I find that if I do the same exercises day after day, with the same reps and same weight, my gains will stop after about 3-4 weeks. But if I change my training in some way to 'surprise' my body, the gains continue to rise!!
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I have trouble eating in the morning. I dont feel like eating so I just drink my coffee and water and then its 5pm....I know that cannot be good on my body but I am just not hungry and kind of nauseous thinking of food and then I only eat 1200 if I am lucky I just feel like I need to eat earlier and then if its 1200 I am okay but eating 1200 between dinner and bed isnt good.

There's nothing wrong with this. I purposefully put off eating most of my calories until the end of the day because it just works better for me. As long as you're eating well when you eat doesn't matter.
  • clotho
    clotho Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Well I suppose it depends on what your goals are. Personally I want to be thin but more importantly health. If you eat too few calories to sustain your body's functioning than your body uses stored fats and muscles too. Also you will have a down shift in metabolism and energy because your body will be like "I'm starving, I need to conserve calories." The balance is to have enough calories and nutrients to keep your body functioning well but few enough that your body needs to burn fat. That is why many people lose weight faster (and healthier) by eating more calories of very nutritious food and exercising more.
  • kaddydaddy
    kaddydaddy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I dunno much about starvation mode, but I think it's probably all relative. I think if someone has a higher body fat %, it'll make use of that in cases of severe calorie deficit.

So far in my experience, I've had no problem with having a calorie deficit combined with burned calories from exercise. I figure my body will let me know if it doesn't like it.
  • Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel
    Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Maybe the term is thrown around a lot, but even MFP (you know, the site you are using?) warns you if you don't eat enough when you log, telling you it is unhealthy...
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    STARVATION MODE the act of me stuffing free dinner rolls in my pocket at red lobster mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm there good

Mmmm I loveee red lobster cheddar biscuits!!!
  • Jordant107
    Options
    I dunno much about starvation mode, but I think it's probably all relative. I think if someone has a higher body fat %, it'll make use of that in cases of severe calorie deficit.

So far in my experience, I've had no problem with having a calorie deficit combined with burned calories from exercise. I figure my body will let me know if it doesn't like it.
    Seems like a good solution- if we do what works for us, and not worry:)
  • spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Options

Or could it be that her body just needed a change?!? I find that if I do the same exercises day after day, with the same reps and same weight, my gains will stop after about 3-4 weeks. But if I change my training in some way to 'surprise' my body, the gains continue to rise!!

That could be part of it. I think a larger part of it was her trying to survive on two cheese sticks, half a chicken breast and some lettuce every day. Years of this and little exercise and her metabolism slowed down to the point where some days she wasn't even hungry at all.
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Call it what you want, but some people eating under their BMR for an extended period of time will slowly start losing less and less weight. It doesn't happen in everyone, but it does happen in some. Will cutting back on calories further and/or exercising more start it again? Yes. However, another option that has proven to work for many is to eat above your BMR and below your TDEE. It is a slower loss many times, but you are still losing weight without as much of a deficit. It took about 6 months for it to finally catch up with me. Unless somehow I completely forgot how to read a heart rate meter and food scale, then my metabolism slowed down reducing my BMR.