Sarvation mode is just wishful eating...

Options

Replies

• coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    BMR
    TDEE
    BMI

Scientific calculations.

Who cares? I don't.

I do what works for me and you do what works for you!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Inb4 OMG STARVATION MODE EXISTS!!!!
    Im not saying it doesn't exist, Im just a bit unsure as to it!! Logic would tell you that eating less would result in a bigger loss.......?!?

For a while. Until your body isn't getting enough nutrients to support itself. My mom's a perfect example of this - she weighed the same for years (175), eating less than 1200 calories a day. I finally broke down and started helping her eat more, bit by bit. She gained a few pounds at first, but once that hurdle was passed the weight just started coming off. And she feels a lot better. More energy.

I wouldn't call her situation starvation mode, but her body was really hanging on to what it had.

My body does this immediately if I eat less than 1400 calories a day for more than a week.
  • Melampus
    Melampus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Maybe the term is thrown around a lot, but even MFP (you know, the site you are using?) warns you if you don't eat enough when you log, telling you it is unhealthy...

I have had that warning once. On that particular day I had eaten what I would eat on a day with no exercise but had taken quite a bit of exercise. That resulted in a calorie deficit for the day of about 1,800 calories which did seem to produce a measurable weight loss (900g) but the following morning I felt noticeably lethargic which gradually eased during the day as I ate.

This one incident is the only time I can say I have been short of energy since starting to diet at the beginning of this month - in fact since starting the diet and also taking a few more opportunities for exercise I would say I have more energy than before.

Does the one incident prove the existence of starvation mode? I don't know but it is certainly consistent with it.
  • TeriLynnSpano
    TeriLynnSpano Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    STARVATION MODE the act of me stuffing free dinner rolls in my pocket at red lobster mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm there good
  • TeriLynnSpano
    Options
    You are always so funny! and I can totally relate!! Love U!:happy:
  • TeriLynnSpano
    Options
    :laugh:
    STARVATION MODE the act of me stuffing free dinner rolls in my pocket at red lobster mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm there good
    You are always so funny! and I can totally relate! Love you!
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    All this 'i cant reach my calories etc etc... we were all fat that is how we got fat by eatng too many calories. Eat less, burn more, be thin!!!

This is all kinds of wrong I don't even know where to begin.
  • Chigger56
    Chigger56 Posts: 105
    Options
    BMR
    TDEE
    BMI

Scientific calculations.

Who cares? I don't.

I do what works for me and you do what works for you!
    THIS ^^^^^
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode only occurs when your body literally has nothing left.. like an insanely low body fat percentage. The term is way overused. You lose weight by expending more calories than you consume.

^^^

Agree
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I accidentally ate at or under BMR this week and did 45 mins-1 hr of cardio (including sprints) after 12-16 hours of fasting every day. I am already in single-digits body-fat wise. I just read about starvation mode and got scared! I checked the scale, figuring I must have gained at least 10 pounds, but instead I am down 1.5 lbs and 1% body fat. I am so confused, what is going on?! I thought I had to eat 5000 calories/day to get awesome abs?! Please help!
  • lulu_1
    lulu_1 Posts: 100
    Options
    What if you don't want to eat less than 1200 calories but it you can't eat more than 1200 easily, meaning you get really full so then what?
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode only occurs when your body literally has nothing left.. like an insanely low body fat percentage. The term is way overused. You lose weight by expending more calories than you consume.

I completely agree!! I'm reading Brad Pilon's Eat Stop Eat... and he goes into some detail citing lots of research articles to support the fact that "starvation mode" does not occur as often as we think it does.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options

Re anorexia - good point. Same thing with the lap band. If reducing calories significantly didn't work then the lap band would not be treatment for morbid obesity.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Yeah, let's listen to the guy with three posts who joined this month. He must know everything.
  • Neahpata
    Neahpata Posts: 322 Member
    Options

LOL took me back. My grandmother used to ask for more of the cheese biscuits and then stuff them in her purse. :laugh:
  • manvsfood
    manvsfood Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    All this 'i cant reach my calories etc etc... we were all fat that is how we got fat by eatng too many calories. Eat less, burn more, be thin!!!

This is all kinds of wrong I don't even know where to begin.

^^^This is true, and people are actually going for this bs... :indifferent:
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options

I did not get fat by eating to much
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have trouble eating in the morning. I dont feel like eating so I just drink my coffee and water and then its 5pm....I know that cannot be good on my body but I am just not hungry and kind of nauseous thinking of food and then I only eat 1200 if I am lucky I just feel like I need to eat earlier and then if its 1200 I am okay but eating 1200 between dinner and bed isnt good.

There's nothing wrong with this. I purposefully put off eating most of my calories until the end of the day because it just works better for me. As long as you're eating well when you eat doesn't matter.

I do the same.
  • EmptyCokeCan
    EmptyCokeCan Posts: 22 Member
    Options

ACTUALLY I got fat by getting pregnant, breaking my back and no longer able to exercise as I used to. I've ALWAYS been a 1 meal a day person. Its HARD for me to eat enough calories each day.