The most annoying 'compliment'?

Options
1111213141517»

Replies

• lucamp
    lucamp Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Have you had gastric bypass is my favorite

I have had this too since it seems that whenever anyone loses a lot of weight this has to be the only solution. I would never ask someone that.
  • NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    A rumor was started in my apartment that I had AIDS. I found out when a really nice young man asked me who was I doing and he was sorry to hear I was ill. I asked him what was he talking about and then he told me. After that was straightened out, they told me I had cancer, the they being the folks in the building, not a doctor. That was four years ago.

When people find out I workout now they want to know why?
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I got the 'You can't loose anymore, you will be too skinny' yesterday. Um, Hello? I'm still considered overwight on my BMI for at least 9 more pounds. Sigh. At least he noticed that I lost weight.
  • tdigirl
    tdigirl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I hate hearing "You've lost weight?" No I haven't lost weight but inches. "Oh muscle weighs more that fat." UH NO. It takes up less space.
    "You work out how 4 days a week?" Yes, I go 4 days a week and lift heavy and do cardio. "You should do more cardio."
    "How much are you lifting?" Depends. I tell them my max on rep stats. "Oh you are going to hurt yourself or look like a man." LOL
    "Are you sure you don't have a power gut?" NO, it's not a power gut. I've had to c-sections within 30 months and was so heavy with my first daughter that everything just kinda got stretched out.

I just found it's easier to say yes and thank you and move on because I really don't care what anyone thinks. I'm doing this for ME!
  • ChshireKat
    ChshireKat Posts: 117
    Options
    This is actually a rather funny thread to read.
    I have only ever had a compliment about lossing weight from my family and only after they saw me NOT looking at a picture from before. I have never had the pretty face compliment 'til last year and that was from my boyfrend, who has the same BMI I do. I have actually had "if only you had a great personality," when I heard it in my teens I read it as "chunky girl with bland personality, you have no redeeming qualities". Needless to say it took a long time to learn that they where an a**hole.
  • angrodriguez92
    angrodriguez92 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    "you're getting too thin, huh? you know that boys don't like skinny boys, right?" oh yeah, thanks

Amen.
    I don't get why people think it is ok to say that. It is just like saying, "you know boys dont like fat girls".
    You're right, everything i do is to please males. My body only exists for the approval of others. Scoff.

This thread is AWESOME.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I always hated the "don't lose anymore weight, you look great the way you are"
  • angrodriguez92
    angrodriguez92 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    "you know you'd really look better if you lost another 30 pounds" THANKS GRANDMA

My family! It is always ^ OR "Ang, you really are gettin skinny you want me to make you something... we got ice cream..."
    They are a big traditional italian family that expresses love, boredom, happiness, sadness with eating, and feeding you.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    you have such a pretty face!

This. Really? I'm so fat that all you can come up with is you think my face is pretty? Which you probably only said it because you felt you needed to say something and that was the first thing you could come up with. Or "You tan well!" ............... fml
    Be glad they aren't just honest.
    Cut these folks some slack for making the attempt at being kind.
    Imagine your mortification if everybody just started saying the truth we all dance around.
    OUCH!
  • sleonardbranson
    Options
    That is the worst compliment, I guess people think they are actually giving you a compliment but actually it dosen't feel that way to us... You look great for having five kids... WHATEVER.... That is the one I always get....

So I guess if I didnt have five kids then I would look terrible... Who knows... Lol
  • phatycake
    phatycake Posts: 216
    Options
    You're doing great! Keep up the great work....
  • mrsRhughes
    mrsRhughes Posts: 122
    Options
    Great thread! I hate when people tell me ...

" You need to eat a cheeseburger or ten! "
    " How much more weight are you going to lose?? You'll blow away!! "
    " I wish I was as dedicated as you but I just can't because of BLAH BLAH BLAH "

I weigh 123 and am 5'7". Totally acceptable for my height...so no, I don't need to eat 10 cheeseburgers. I eat a TON, and usually around 1900 cals a day (I do eat a semi-vegetarian diet, though). And I HATE OTHER PEOPLE'S EXCUSES!! Don't bash ME for my lifestyle just cause you don't want to change yours!
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    My least favorite compliment is "You don't need to lose weight, you look good."

I mean, it's nice. It's meant well. And thanks and stuff.

But it's up to me to decide if I want to lose a few pounds, not them!

Even worse is when it happens as they're pushing cupcakes or cookies at you. Or they insist the cupcakes they brought to potluck only have 100 calories, but you can look at the little snacks and tell that they have more than that. I can't log on hearsay, buster!!
  • kennacoconut
    kennacoconut Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    While using the aeroglider at my dad's house a few days ago... I meantioned I have lost 10 pounds. Someone responded "you have no hips now. You're going to be one of those skinny *****es with no curves and I'm going to throw donuts at you."

Can't please everyone...
  • lengirl75
    lengirl75 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You're wasting away to nothing.

Really because if that is the case then nothing is a whole lot more like something...
  • TessJ86
    TessJ86 Posts: 1
    Options
    not really a compliment... but my 'best friend' didnt want me to diet because she was finally smaller than me after I had put on 10kilos and she had lost a couple.

Safe to say that didnt stop me and she doesnt compliment me on how much I have achieved now.
  • undermajorconstruction
    Options
    BUMP!
  • lisadlocks
    lisadlocks Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Well you have lost the weight. But can you keep it off?

Or "You look so much younger". Then followed by I didn't mean you used to look old.