To those big losers out there :-)

Options
12346»

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Grade 3 Osteoarthritis both knee's, torn meniscus both knee's and a torn ACL in my left after once weighing 560 lbs. has left me unable to run but with DonJoy OA braces and injection therapy and pain pills I enjoy walking and spend alot of time on the elliptical (very low impact on my knee's) 35 months ago I could not walk from one room to another so being able to walk and finish a 5k (18 minute miles now) I am quite content with that.... Would love to run but am not to disappointed, having my life back is much my satisfying.... :-) Best of Luck.....
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I started running when I was 380 pounds (ignore my ticker...I've lost over 150 pounds, just pre-MFP). Just last November (around 310 pounds) I had to quit - after progressing to being able to run 5 miles non-stop - because I got injured (plantar fasciitis - though not one doc has said it was because of my weight). Just ran last week again for the first time since December! Can't tell you how much I've missed it! I say if you want to run, try it. You might turn out to be someone who loves running. But don't just do it because you'll lose weight "faster" or whatever. I think the best exercise program is the one that makes you excited to go do it. For some it's Zumba, others do P90x like it's their job, and for some of us, running just makes us want to run more.

My tips?
    1) Take it slow. I had to start out pre-C25k and work my way up to that, but for most people it's a great beginner's program. (But don't be afraid to repeat weeks if you need to.)
    2) Find good running shoes and replace them as needed. (I waited too long, hence my injury.)
    3) Forget the treadmill! *lol* I hate those things and I won't run on them. I'd rather switch a running day than run on them (though I have before for speedwork...only time I use the darn things is when I'm trying to control my speed). I just like the intuitive nature of letting my feet and body pick the pace and not trying to maintain the same speed the entire time.

Good luck and have fun!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Just wondering for all you big losers out there, how many of you have picked up running as an exercise compared to how many exercise in the gym or do dvd's???

It seems whenever I read a big weight loss story, the person has started running during their journey. I really want to start, just really scared to at 223 lbs.

Leah

I'm 250 lbs and I run. I'm not fit enough to do 8 min miles...yet, but I do run. It's all about setting small goals for yourself and keep trying until you reach them. Make sure you have the right shoes, though. I had to learn that the hard way.
  • JBHawaii
    JBHawaii Posts: 94
    Options
    Just wondering for all you big losers out there, how many of you have picked up running as an exercise compared to how many exercise in the gym or do dvd's???

It seems whenever I read a big weight loss story, the person has started running during their journey. I really want to start, just really scared to at 223 lbs.

Leah

At 235, I had the exact same problem! It really is hard when you are carrying that extra weight and I deffinitely worried about my knees and lower back. BUT- I did start running eventually... here is how I did it,
    1) Buy a new pair of running shoes. I suggest Brooks Adrenaline as they make a very supportive and padded shoe.
    2) I walked EVERY SINGLE DAY... I didnt walk for 5 min though, I walked at least 40 mins a day. Best way to do this is walk to/from work or lunch or in the evening to the grocery store.
    3) After a month or so I began running, lightly. I started with 1 mile and am now up to 2.5-3 mile runs each tiei go (about 2x per week)
    4) make sure to stretch

Its scary at first but it gets much better. Just make sure to walk every single day from now on. Get the muscles and joints used to the work and then really push yourself to run as far as you can.

God luck!
  • Genericwit
    Genericwit Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I started by walking my dog for a few miles a night after work and twice on a saturday and sunday, as i had bad shin splints and this helped build the muscles up in my shins....
    After a couple of weeks i left the dog in the house (dont worry he still got a walk as well!) and started to jog, found a pace i was comfortable at and i havent looked back since...

I wouldnt waste my money on gym membership get out in the sun / rain / snow and enjoy the fresh air!

I did that, too. I'd take my dogs for a walk around the block. Then I'd take a path around the neighborhood. Then I took them to the next neighborhood over's lake. Before I knew it, I was walking them ~3 miles a day. Then I started jogging in time with some faster paced music until I couldn't. I'd alternate between jogging and walking, keeping my heart rate up. Next thing I knew, the dogs and I were steadily jogging something like 7 miles a day. You just gotta get started and push.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself a big loser yet, but I started running at 310 was walking before that. Check out New Balance's Good Form Running for tips on how to do it without hurting yourself. Start slow, and get into a good flexibility routine after your workouts.

Good Luck!
  • speediejane
    speediejane Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    not a big loser but walk and do you tube exercises
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Hi, I haven't read all the replies, so I dare say this has already been recommended, but I have just completed C25K, and I was amazed at how well it worked for me. I was probably around 225 when I started, certainly within a few pounds of where you are, I run outside as there is a good park near me, and I don't have access to a treadmill. I thought I was going to die, the first session, after a 30 second run, and each week I was convinced I wouldn't make the step up to the next level, but every time I tried, I found that I could. It wasn't always easy, but it was doable. My key has been making sure that I go at a pace that's comfortable, so I'm not doing a 12 minute mile yet, but I am building up my stamina, and I can now run for 30 mins straight, and I will just keep trying to improve. I actually get up at 6am to run 3 times a week, something I would never have believed possible, so I definitely recommend that you give it a go. Good luck with it :flowerforyou:
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I totally started running. I used to hate it now I love it...great stress relief!!! I do run on the treadmill tho. I just ran outside for the first time this weekend and you know what it wasn't bad, however the difference between running on the ground and running on the treaddy is quite different to me. But I did it none the less and it wasn't until I started running that my body started to really transform. It's amazing! I tried to c25k but i'm just not good at it. cuz once I start running I just keep going and if I stop...that is it...i'm done! I started running just over 300lbs and am now about 292. I started at 3.0-3.5 pace walking and now I walk at 4.0 and run at 5.0 for at least 5 minutes straight. I started running a mile in 23-25 min and can now run a mile between 14-15 min! So I say just try it...who cares about n e one else. strap up and get to running! I LOVE IT! and highly recommend it! I forgot to mention that I run 5 days a week now and if I'm really feeling good I will run outside on the weekends early morning! :) So good luck to you!!!
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I am 256 lbs and just started learning how to run. I saw a lot of women much bigger than I at the 5k race I participated in on Sunday. They were running - I was walking. I so envied them!

I am really going to get serious about my running training now that I have been in a race and have seen what others can do .
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!