Does eating more to weight less work for everyone?

Options
Does eating more to weight less work for everyone? Obviously I know one has to fit in regular exercise and keep a balanced diet and not do the dog on it? .... Im just confused about the whole starving yourself makes your body go into starvation mode and can stop you from losing weight , and eating more can help you lose weight? Is anyone confused by this?? :huh:

*weight less ....in the subject box i mean...*facepalm*

Replies

• BrokenBarbiexoxo
    BrokenBarbiexoxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am coming to terms with this and trying it from Monday, my current calorie goal is not making me lose weigt so I am upping. It's scary!
  • SkippingQueen
    Options
    I'm thinking of trying it because I have been the same weight for weeks now....and have tried switching things up,,,,,The whole concept is freaking me out.
  • ginamc04
    ginamc04 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have an article about this, let me see if I can find it!
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I've been eating more for two-three weeks now and my weight has not gone down. I don't know how long it takes for our bodies to adjust. I was eating 1200 for about a year then stalled. I've tried eating more and nothing yet. I keep going between the same two pounds. It's frustrating.
  • scatgash
    scatgash Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Bump ^_^
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    No
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I think it is going to be different for each individual. There will be some trial and error involved.

For me, I can't eat as many calories as reccommended for maintenance without gaining. Or maybe I'm being inaccurate in figuring calories eaten, and calories burned. I'm making an effort to be very careful with my logging, and watch the weight (and how my clothes are fitting) carefully.

Do an internet search and check several sites with calculators to see what is reccommended, also.

That was the long answer.

For me the short answer is, no, that doesn't work for me.
  • BrokenBarbiexoxo
    BrokenBarbiexoxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of trying it because I have been the same weight for weeks now....and have tried switching things up,,,,,The whole concept is freaking me out.

Me too!! But I need to do something, I don't each much and haven't lost for awhile and I gained today.. So it's nt working.

Scary to eat so much though o.O
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Yes. If u are patient enough and dont expect a quick fix.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Does eating more to weight less work for everyone? Obviously I know one has to fit in regular exercise and keep a balanced diet and not do the dog on it? .... Im just confused about the whole starving yourself makes your body go into starvation mode and can stop you from losing weight , and eating more can help you lose weight? Is anyone confused by this?? :huh:

It should be weigh, not weight. lol

Yes, it works for me. I work out a lot, burn a lot, and eat a lot. Down 80lbs currently.

You didn't gain it all overnight, don't expect to lose it all overnight either. Or even in a week.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    The eat more to weigh less does work for everyone in terms of how MFP starts you off.
    It's about always getting proper nutrition to fuel your day as opposed to working out to eat.

So set MFP to 20% below TDEE.
    Delete the section on workouts per week.
    Dont eat back calories because they are already calculated.
    Enjoy fat loss.
    've been eating more for two-three weeks now and my weight has not gone down. I don't know how long it takes for our bodies to adjust. I was eating 1200 for about a year then stalled. I've tried eating more and nothing yet. I keep going between the same two pounds. It's frustrating.

2-4 weeks.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    If you eat above your BMR but below your TDEE it should.

If you want to research it for yourself, check the group out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Despite all of the tiresome arguments that arise daily regarding this subject, I don't think there is a real correct answer to this question. Unfortunately it's a bit of trial and error. IMO, when you begin with a large deficit, you will lose weight at first, but your body will eventually adjust to the calorie deficiency and your weight loss will slow down. I think you have to play around with slowly changing your net calories to find what works for you.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It works for those willing to try long enough.

Some forget it took them 3 or more weeks at decent weight loss, then another 3 plus weeks of diminishing weight loss amount as metabolism slowed down, until no more loss in scale or measurements.

It may take just as long to wake it back up.

Even those who have yo-yo dieted and their metabolism is ready to drop fast, don't seem to have it speed back up that fast.
    Hence their problem of getting off a severely restricted diet and gaining the weight back so quickly.

The problem is, too many think eating more than they are currently eating at severely restricted level is eating too much, with no concept of what they were eating before that got them into trouble.

If one could record exactly how much they ate at large weight and weren't gaining, they would know exactly how much to deficit 500 from to lose weight, without any change to routine at all.
  • madmex569
    madmex569 Posts: 49
    Options
    It is so hard to change the mindset of less calories in. I'm still under my calorie goal everyday. Still losing. I will wait until i stop losing to change the way i do it. It seems obvious that everybody loses the weight different. Whatever weight loss method you use, when it works, stick with it. If it stops working, change it up.
  • SkippingQueen
    Options

It should be weigh, not weight. lol

I already corrected myself if you read the post properly :happy: ....and I just realised I corrected myself wrong hahahaha ......i know it was meant to be weigh though :)
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Sort of. Everyone's optimum maintain or lose point is different even if you are the same height, current weight and bone structure. We're all individuals.

I do know for myself if I consume less than 1400 calories a day my body doesn't lose any weight. So I'm better off to work out more to eat more. Gotta fill that tank with quality fuel though too. Eating clean helps (and I'm not perfect LOL!).
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    It's worked for me... It IS scary, and you'll surely find people who say the opposite of me. But every time my weight loss has stalled, I've upped calories, and I lose again.
    human body is weird >.<
  • Theresafinallygetsitright
    Options
    I redid my calculations with fit2fat and have been using those for about the last month, lost 14 pounds this past month and was losing 10-12 before. Also, I had my Vo2max calculated and what I am eating for goal weight is the same as my current bmr (nice!! lol) and that calorie requirement used my own science so I feel more confident about what I am doing. Lastly, and a little off topic, the estimate of calories burned is about 1/3 too high according to my Vo2max calculations AND my hrm (polar ft80).