Does eating more to weight less work for everyone?

Options

Replies

• twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options

I second this ... if you are after success stories and to see how it works go to this group and see for yourself. Ask questions you want to know. Ask the people who are doing it.

But if your after a quick fix then look else where ... this is about changing your lifestyle not just a few months. This way you continue to eat, lose weight and enjoy life as it should be.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

Good for you, nice job there.
    Btw do you believe that you wont ever have to lower calories?
    I mean that you can keep them static forever?
    Because i can tell you for sure you cant!
    Unless you are an exception to the law of thermo dynamics

Actually, most succesful people here find the opposite, when they get to their last few pounds they up their calories not lower it, because they switch their loss goal from 1lb/2lb per week to 0.5lb per week as they get closer to maintenence, so that they gradually get to maintenance calories instead of one big jump.

There are also a bunch of people eating at the maintenance level of their goal weight.
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options

Actually, most succesful people here find the opposite, when they get to their last few pounds they up their calories not lower it, because they switch their loss goal from 1lb/2lb per week to 0.5lb per week as they get closer to maintenence, so that they gradually get to maintenance calories instead of one big jump.

There are also a bunch of people eating at the maintenance level of their goal weight.
    Oh really?
    Guess i been doing it all wrong getting to sub 10% bodyfat, year in year out.
    And why do you assume, i lose more than half a pound per week?
    And eating at maintenance, is exactly what i do when i reach my goal, to stay at the achieved level of condition!
  • Martin0524
    Martin0524 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation. I was eating well under 1000 calories a day for about 10 months. Then I stalled and increased becasue my trainer suggested. I lost more weight but stalled out again. So instead of upping my calories I upped the intensity of my workouts.. I am now a year & 5 months out and I'm fighting to lose my last 10pounds.. And the scale just keeps teasing me.. 3 pounds up 5 down, 2 up , 1 down... Its killing me..
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    It is so hard to change the mindset of less calories in. I'm still under my calorie goal everyday. Still losing. ]I will wait until i stop losing to change the way i do it. It seems obvious that everybody loses the weight different. Whatever weight loss method you use, when it works, stick with it. If it stops working, change it up.

This is kind of like waiting to put oil in your car, until the engine siezes up...then having to wait while your husband/boyfriend puts in a new engine lol.
  • ladyraven68
    Options

Oh really?
    And eating at maintenance, is exactly what i do when i reach my goal!

I didn't assume anything about you.

You said people would have to drop their calories lower to continue losing, I'm just saying that is not strictly true, it just depends on what their goals are.

many people start at a goal of 2lb a week and then reduce their goals following this sort of target

"If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal"

so as they get closer to goal, they increase their calories, not lower them.
  • ladyraven68
    Options
    Does eating more to weight less work for everyone? Obviously I know one has to fit in regular exercise and keep a balanced diet and not do the dog on it? .... Im just confused about the whole starving yourself makes your body go into starvation mode and can stop you from losing weight , and eating more can help you lose weight? Is anyone confused by this?? :huh:

*weight less ....in the subject box i mean...*facepalm*

Here's a nice thread of success for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/531086-before-and-after-pics-no-starvation?
  • sniperzzzz
    Options

Oh really?

You said people would have to drop their calories lower to continue losing, I'm just saying that is not strictly true, it just depends on what their goals are.

many people start at a goal of 2lb a week and then reduce their goals following this sort of target

And i stand by this, you will have to at one point lower your calories, in order to keep progressing.
    Do you think this is not true?
    If so please explain, i would like to know how i could get to sub 10% body fat eating above the level i need to eat in order to lose 0.25lbs a week.
    Are you saying if i ate more calories i would continue losing this amount or more weekly?
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Doesnt really work for me but shifting my calories from high to low does. So I will eat a few days at close to 2000 then drop to 1400 and this gets me the best results. I have tried to eat more consistently but it doesnt work for me. The 1200 recommended though is ridiculous. I find it almost impossible and I love veggies.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Oh really?

And i stand by this, you will have to at one point lower your calories, in order to keep progressing.
    If so please explain, i would like to know how i could get to sub 10% body fat eating above the level i need to eat in order to lose 0.25lbs a week.

You guys are arguing two different points. She's arguing that eventually you will reach a point where you don't need or want to continue losing bodyfat...and thus enter maintenance. No need to lower your calories any more. I agree with this. Sometimes, people can do all of that by raising their caloric intake (assuming they started at a very low calorie level initially). I don't see this as a 'regular' thing...or even close. But it's entirely possible...and really will depend on where they start, how their activity level develops, and where they want to end.

You're arguing that if you are at a specific body mass...with a specific caloric intake, and still have too much bodyfat, you MUST lower your intake to reach that new bodyfat goal. Again...I agree completely.
  • ladyraven68
    Options

Oh really?

Are you saying if i ate more calories i would continue losing this amount or more weekly?

If someone is constantly eating at a sensible defict below their TDEE, why would they need to lower it to keep progressing?

Lets say someone has a TDEE of 2000, and eats at a 20% defict, so eats 1600, why would they need to go lower - why do you think they would stop progressing?

As for your specific numbers, yes, you may need to lower your calories to coninue losing the same absolute amount of lbs, but that's because the 0.25 becomes a higher % of your bodyweight so will need a higher defict.

a 300lb person who loses 1% of weight will lose 3lbs per week, but by the time that person weighs 200lb, their 1% is now 2lbs. Sometimes people think their loss has slowed, but they are looking at an absolute value rather than the loss relative to their bodyweight, which may have remained consistant.
  • sniperzzzz
    Options

Oh really?

If someone is constantly eating at a sensible defict below their TDEE, why would they need to lower it to keep progressing?

Lets say someone has a TDEE of 2000, and eats at a 20% defict, so eats 1600, why would they need to go lower - why do you think they would stop progressing?

As for your specific numbers, yes, you may need to lower your calories to coninue losing the same absolute amount of lbs, but that's because the 0.25 becomes a higher % of your bodyweight so will need a higher defict.

a 300lb person who loses 1% of weight will lose 3lbs per week, but by the time that person weighs 200lb, their 1% is now 2lbs. Sometimes people think their loss has slowed, but they are looking at an absolute value rather than the loss relative to their bodyweight, which may have remained consistant.
    Ok tell me where i said to lower maintenance below 20%?
    And what's your argument with me, suggesting lower your calories gradually.
    That same 20% percent calorie deficit wont, remain effective forever!
    What do you think happens when someone loses weight, they will eventually have to lower calories to remain at a 20% deficit.
    Do you think im advocating low calories? If so your mistaken.
    One more thing, this whole eat more to weigh less thing works because, initially people dropped cals too low to begin with, when they did not need to do so. So obviously if they increase them they will still lose weight because they are still in a deficit.
    When that deficit is no longer effective, and the body has adjusted what do you think they need to do to carry on losing weight? I will tell you, lower calories. Or do a ton of cardio blow your cortisol levels sky high and turn into a catabolic mess.
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    The eat more to weigh less does work for everyone in terms of how MFP starts you off.
    It's about always getting proper nutrition to fuel your day as opposed to working out to eat.

So set MFP to 20% below TDEE.
    Delete the section on workouts per week.
    Dont eat back calories because they are already calculated.
    Enjoy fat loss.
    've been eating more for two-three weeks now and my weight has not gone down. I don't know how long it takes for our bodies to adjust. I was eating 1200 for about a year then stalled. I've tried eating more and nothing yet. I keep going between the same two pounds. It's frustrating.

2-4 weeks.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map

Exactly this^^^^^ You need to know your TDEE and eat at a deficit of it and you will lose. When your body trusts you are going to continue to feed it, it will let go of what it doesn't need. It took 2-3 weeks for me and I just had a 1.8 lb loss last week. No weigh in for this week yet but I'm very optimistic. I feel lighter :happy:
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Eating more absolutely does not work for everyone and I'm one.
    I lost about 16lbs before hitting a plateau. I started eating my exercise calories to get more in and never lost anything. Now that I'm back to 1,200 and NOT eating exercise calories, I'm losing again. Everyone is different.

I'm well aware everyone is different BUT eating 1200 calories is terrible for your body and the weight you are losing is probably muscle....it's possible to not lose any pounds but look better....i personally don't even pay attention to the scale...I measure myself and go off of how my clothes fit and what not...doing a little research will show that 1200 is WAY to low. and all the research I've ever done has said to eat your calories back. People who just pay attention to how much they weigh and nothing else obviously don't do any research or eat clean when they do increase their calories....if you do increase your calories to about 300-400 more than what you are now and start eating mcdonalds or junk then of course you're going to gain.

my point is that when you do increase your calories you need to know what to eat and what not to eat and how much,
    you need to increase protein and do strength training as well or the lbs that you are losing are coming from your muscle mass and that WILL hurt you in the long run...if you make it 20-30 years down the road.

and MFP is extremely inaccurate if it is telling someone who is 5'8 to consume 1200 calories....
  • ProjectTae
    ProjectTae Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I just started about 2 weeks ago and I'm finally starting to see the scale move in the right direction! I was only on the 1200-1600 cal diet for about 2 weeks though, so it may take more time for you to see the same result! just keep with it, you will probably gain a bit initially but do not give up! Oh and btw I now eat 1970 (TDEE-21%) cals a day compared to 1200 and only eat back exercise if it net below my BMR which is 1570.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    What do you think happens when someone loses weight, they will eventually have to lower calories to remain at a 20% deficit.
    One more thing, this whole eat more to weigh less thing works because, initially people dropped cals too low to begin with, when they did not need to do so. So obviously if they increase them they will still lose weight because they are still in a deficit.
    When that deficit is no longer effective, and the body has adjusted what do you think they need to do to carry on losing weight? I will tell you, lower calories. Or do a ton of cardio blow your cortisol levels sky high and turn into a catabolic mess.

I really, really think the two of you are speaking at cross-purposes here.

She's saying that if you select your initial calorie goal appropriately, you may be able to reach goal without ever having to reduce them.

You're saying that eventually you'll get to a point where your calorie intake will become maintenance and your weight will stabilize, and in order to continue dropping weight you'll have to lower your calories.

If the point where your weight stabilizes is under your goal weight -- then both of you are right.

Example: According to MFP calculations anyway, at goal I'll need 2015 calories to maintain. Right now I'm set for 1750 calories. Although loss will be slow when I get closer to the goal, I should still continue dropping until I hit goal, because I'll be at a 250+ calorie deficit, unless the BMR calculations are wrong for me (which bridge I will cross when I come to it).
  • crisanderson27
    Options

She's saying that if you select your initial calorie goal appropriately, you may be able to reach goal without ever having to reduce them.

You're saying that eventually you'll get to a point where your calorie intake will become maintenance and your weight will stabilize, and in order to continue dropping weight you'll have to lower your calories.

If the point where your weight stabilizes is under your goal weight -- then both of you are right.

Example: According to MFP calculations anyway, at goal I'll need 2015 calories to maintain. Right now I'm set for 1750 calories. Although loss will be slow when I get closer to the goal, I should still continue dropping until I hit goal, because I'll be at a 250+ calorie deficit, unless the BMR calculations are wrong for me (which bridge I will cross when I come to it).

Thank you for saying that more clearly than I did. I'm posting from my phone...watching the kids in the pool...so I was a bit distracted.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Thank you for saying that more clearly than I did. I'm posting from my phone...dropping the kids off at the pool...so I was a bit distracted.

Fixed.

Hi I'm 14.
  • sniperzzzz
    Options

Thank you for saying that more clearly than I did. I'm posting from my phone...watching the kids in the pool...so I was a bit distracted.
    Ok i agree maybe some crossed wires here :embarassed:
    IMHO mfp is to blame for all this confusion setting cals too low.
    So when people do eat more calories, and still continue to lose , "which they will" because they are still in a deficit, you get all threads like this where everyone gets confused. and think eating more will get them to lose weight. And they will temporarily
    until the deficit becomes ineffective.
    Then calories will have to be lowered, at some point.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Thank you for saying that more clearly than I did. I'm posting from my phone...dropping the kids off at the pool...so I was a bit distracted.

Fixed.

Hi I'm 14.

Ok, usually I'm right there with you man...but this time you totally lost me lol.