Does eating more to weight less work for everyone?

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    It's not about eating a lot but more about eating smaller portions more times in a day. That way it keeps your metabolism going throughout the day and your body never goes into starvation mode thus losing weight. It's working for some people it's all all about being careful with what you eat and when.

You are a new poster so welcome! With respect, your info is incorrect. Eating more frequently, or less frequently within a 24 hour period has no impact on metabolism. Also, that has nothing to do with starvation mode which is not triggered until somwhere between 4 and 7 days of severe calorie restriction. You have posted a myth and a fallacy with your first post. Congratualtions! I think that must be a record!! :flowerforyou:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    A stall is no weight OR measurement changes in 3 weeks.

Did you measure?

Since you were exercising with good workout there, and actually feeding enough for your body to make improvements, that means easily no weight loss, only fat loss.

Remember too, just as you cannot spot reduce, you can't spot measure, like just the waist, must measure many spots.

I have been measuring waist, hips and thighs - no change. I am so stalled, that if you looked "stalled" up in the dictionary you would see my face frowning back at you!:huh:

No, there are many with 3-6 months of no weight nor measurement changes, plugging along doing the same thing that isn't working. So at least you aren't insane. Isn't that the definition of insane, doing the same thing expecting a different result.

3 spots is all?

Ya, this fits in exactly with the idea of wanting to spot reduce, you are measuring 3 spots, and could be losing fat other places and would never know.

This is the same reason many people notice they seem to fit in the same pants but can gain some lbs before the pants are negatively effected. Same effect going the other direction.

You need to measure everywhere there are fat stores, lower arms, upper arms, neck, chest, natural waist, belly button, hips, thighs, calves.

If, if, you reset your metabolism somewhat, you'll likely get some more loss on the 1220 again, and eating more on workout days will help greatly. I'm thinking you may have just missed where you were losing.

Do recommend though, add the extra calories related to the workout in the next 24 hrs, doesn't have to be the same day you "earned" them, so you may be green on workout days by half the workout, get the other half in breakfast or lunch or snack the next day, and don't worry about being in red.

MFP logging stops at midnight your time, your body's needs can go well into the next day.
  • gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It's not about eating a lot but more about eating smaller portions more times in a day. That way it keeps your metabolism going throughout the day and your body never goes into starvation mode thus losing weight. It's working for some people it's all all about being careful with what you eat and when.

You are a new poster so welcome! With respect, your info is incorrect. Eating more frequently, or less frequently within a 24 hour period has no impact on metabolism. Also, that has nothing to do with starvation mode which is not triggered until somwhere between 4 and 7 days of severe calorie restriction. You have posted a myth and a fallacy with your first post. Congratualtions! I think that must be a record!! :flowerforyou:

Yikes, be kind...
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    My problems with the Road Map post are these:

1- There is no reason a person trying to lose weight has to eat above their BMR. Seriously, research it, ask any doctor, think about it. Here's one trainer's explanation in the link below. I've talked about this ad nauseum so I'll stop trying to explain it myself. People act like I'm saying the earth is flat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpAvFsIUxvY

2- The body doesn't flip a switch at some calorie level and start catabolizing muscle and changing hormonal responses. It's all on a scale. The reason you see 1200 and '2 lbs/week loss goal' so much is because those are believed to be levels that are aggressive enough to produce results while minimizing negative externalities like metabolism slowing and excesive LBM loss.

3- People not losing at 1200 usually haven't given it enough time. They're working out too hard, they're impatient, they want scale results, but water effects are hiding fat loss.

I did your math. For me, it recommends about 1580/day, which is a great plan. I choose to go a bit lower, around 1350 (which is below my BMR, by the way). I am not damaging myself, lacking energy, losing hair, lethargic, etc., etc.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Of course it doesn't work for everyone. Nothing works for everyone. Weight Watchers (which is eat less) works for some, but not all. Eat more works for some, but not all.

Everyone is different. Everyone has to find and follow what works best for him/her.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Yikes, be kind...

I was trying to be. Trying to say it as nice a way as I could and put in a little humor.
  • beckajw
    Options

Here we go again. Another MFPer just looking for a fight because he/she has nothing better to do with his/her time.
  • beckajw
    Options

Lol I have a feeling you are about to get attacked.

...And she was...
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories as I had plateaued but still nothing happened. I went back down and a couple of weeks later finally lost 2 pounds. So many people have done really well by upping their calories though so it's well worth a try!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories as I had plateaued but still nothing happened. I went back down and a couple of weeks later finally lost 2 pounds. So many people have done really well by upping their calories though so it's well worth a try!

It kinda worked the same me with me...I guess when people saying "upping your calorie" they didn't finish saying "then lower it again you should see something different". Good luck to you.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

1- There is no reason a person trying to lose weight has to eat above their BMR. Seriously, research it, ask any doctor, think about it. Here's one trainer's explanation in the link below. I've talked about this ad nauseum so I'll stop trying to explain it myself. People act like I'm saying the earth is flat.

2- The body doesn't flip a switch at some calorie level and start catabolizing muscle and changing hormonal responses. It's all on a scale. The reason you see 1200 and '2 lbs/week loss goal' so much is because those are believed to be levels that are aggressive enough to produce results while minimizing negative externalities like metabolism slowing and excesive LBM loss.

3- People not losing at 1200 usually haven't given it enough time. They're working out too hard, they're impatient, they want scale results, but water effects are hiding fat loss.

I did your math. For me, it recommends about 1580/day, which is a great plan. I choose to go a bit lower, around 1350 (which is below my BMR, by the way). I am not damaging myself, lacking energy, losing hair, lethargic, etc., etc.

And again, just because you chose a different way, doesn't mean Dan's is wrong - just different to your choice.

Also - we've already established that youtube guy doesn't even understand BMR

the beauty of youtube is everyone can find something to support opinion - for example this guy says to eat above BMR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PTyXnoDfVw

At the end of the day, everyone is going to do their own research, and then pick a method that works, and that fits in with their lifestyle.

I agree the peope that start on 1200 are impatient - they are usually the ones aiming for 2lb a week, which is unrealistic for a lot of them.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Did NOT work for me.. I'm now trying to lose the ~20# I gained doing it.

I'm happy (and jealous!) for those for whom this has worked, but one size does not fit all.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

the beauty of youtube is everyone can find something to support opinion - for example this guy says to eat above BMR

The above statement can be equally applied to anything on the internet, newsgroup, blog, anything in that catagory. :)
  • christiangandy
    christiangandy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    you will lose weight by upping your calories ,,,,only if you also start upping ur workout intensity, as it will lift you out of survival mode....but if you just increase your calories....it should put a bit of weight on you first and then start to give you more energy, ....when you get that energy, you must use it......plenty of scientific studies to prove this.....good luck!!!
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Worked for me. Was on 800-1000 (medically supervised plan) and lost about 10 pounds but felt terrible. Found this site, researched, reached out to several folks, including Dan who worked my numbers and I switched. Eat 1,700/day and strength train 3xs/week and I've lost 33 pounds, plus 5 inches off my waist, 5 inches off my hips, down 9% BF and I keep losing at a steady clip. The bonus? I don't feel like complete crap every day from not getting enough nutrition!

So yea, it might not work for everyone, but it's worked for me and I'm thrilled. BTW, going from my VLCD to fueling my body took about a month of up/down/plateau before the decline was strong and steady ... so give it some time!! (And Dan walked me off that "I'm quitting!" ledge, too).
  • SlinkyNewMe
    SlinkyNewMe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    A stall is no weight OR measurement changes in 3 weeks.

Did you measure?

Since you were exercising with good workout there, and actually feeding enough for your body to make improvements, that means easily no weight loss, only fat loss.

Remember too, just as you cannot spot reduce, you can't spot measure, like just the waist, must measure many spots.

I have been measuring waist, hips and thighs - no change. I am so stalled, that if you looked "stalled" up in the dictionary you would see my face frowning back at you!:huh:

No, there are many with 3-6 months of no weight nor measurement changes, plugging along doing the same thing that isn't working. So at least you aren't insane. Isn't that the definition of insane, doing the same thing expecting a different result.

3 spots is all?

Ya, this fits in exactly with the idea of wanting to spot reduce, you are measuring 3 spots, and could be losing fat other places and would never know.

This is the same reason many people notice they seem to fit in the same pants but can gain some lbs before the pants are negatively effected. Same effect going the other direction.

You need to measure everywhere there are fat stores, lower arms, upper arms, neck, chest, natural waist, belly button, hips, thighs, calves.

If, if, you reset your metabolism somewhat, you'll likely get some more loss on the 1220 again, and eating more on workout days will help greatly. I'm thinking you may have just missed where you were losing.

Do recommend though, add the extra calories related to the workout in the next 24 hrs, doesn't have to be the same day you "earned" them, so you may be green on workout days by half the workout, get the other half in breakfast or lunch or snack the next day, and don't worry about being in red.

MFP logging stops at midnight your time, your body's needs can go well into the next day.

Thanks, I will have a go at the lower calories and see how it goes. Because i work out on alternate days, I will only ever be on 1220 for one day at a time, which should help!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options

And again, just because you chose a different way, doesn't mean Dan's is wrong - just different to your choice.

Also - we've already established that youtube guy doesn't even understand BMR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PTyXnoDfVw

At the end of the day, everyone is going to do their own research, and then pick a method that works, and that fits in with their lifestyle.

I agree the peope that start on 1200 are impatient - they are usually the ones aiming for 2lb a week, which is unrealistic for a lot of them.

I didn't say Dan's plan was wrong. Or that people should not pick his method.

That youtube guy has like a masters in physiology.

I've said this many times before but it's hard to find authoritative people who refute "don't eat below your BMR" because no one says "don't eat below your BMR" outside a few dieter forums.

2 lbs/week isn't considered unrealistic for ANYone outside of MFP's forums.

I'm not going to go around with you again. Dan asked me what parts of his Road Map post I took issue with, I told him.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

To a point this is correct. But the 40-50% drop in leptin alone will result in fat loss slowing.

This is info spouted by the same BS people who say eating 6 meals a day will help me lose fat.
    The fact is when dieting and working out too much you have increased cortisol above and beyond the normal limits of what the body produces naturally.
    This will burn LBM.
    It's what it does under stress!

When metabolic rate slows so does fat loss. Why do you think the national average dietary intake on food labels is 2000-2500.
    1200 cals is what I eat for breakfast!!!!!
    Thats like saying "My car isnt running well so i'll cut down on the oil and only keep the tank 1/4 full!"
    I laugh at this. The people who have jumped on board with the Road Map have lost fat.
    Period.

I challenge you to eat 1800 daily.
    Measure your results weekly.

There is no reason unless you are Obese II or higher to eat below BMR.
    There is no reason to eat less if you can eat more and lose weight.

Why dont you try this for 1 month and see?
    Unless you have some medical reason not to eat properly then I dont see what the fuss is.

And I can find several studies showing that in the long run, a moderate deficit creates longer weight loss.
    Why cut so low if you dont have to.
    Thats all.

So...when will you try it?

BTW my way isnt my way.
    I learned this from pros in the field.
    People who charge $300 an hour for their input on health, weight loss and muscle gains.
    They arent doctors or RNs.
    They are nutritionists who didnt take 120 question quiz to get a state certification.
    This info works.
    And untill you try it I feel your points are moot.
    I feel that no matter what school you went to and what degrees ore certifications you have, untill you admit that this works I wont stop.
    Period.
    I challenge you Mcarter99, just like I challenged Watboy (who by the way is losing fat and gaining lean mass) to try my methods.
    If it doesnt work I will back down.
    Unless you have some type of medical issue preventing you from losing weight,my methods work.
    Youll eat better.
    You wont feel hungry.
    Youll maintain LBM better than these low cal deals.
    1300 cals is laughable.
    I have women at 5' tall eating 1800 and losing fat working out a hand full of times a week.

So when will you try it?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Did NOT work for me.. I'm now trying to lose the ~20# I gained doing it.

I'm happy (and jealous!) for those for whom this has worked, but one size does not fit all.

20 lbs over what period of time?

Because that would mean 70,000 extra calories if it is thought that was fat lbs.

That would mean 10,000 extra calories if it was glucose stores (not actually possible).

That would mean 20,000 extra calories if it was new muscle (which would then hold more glucose).

So whichever thing you think it was, divide the above by number of days to gain it, there's your surplus each day.

Now take whatever you were eating at each day minus that surplus, there's your TDEE for whatever your routine was during that weight gain time.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of scared of this too. I have lost 43lbs and now my weight loss has just stopped, no matter what I do I can't lose. I've decided to go from 1200 to 1500 cals a day (with exercise) and just hope that works. I think it can be very daunting if you're raising it for the first time, but it's worth a try.