Does eating more to weight less work for everyone?

Options

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Fitbit and found out I was way off on my TDEE.
    Online calculators gave me appx 2100-2300 avg daily burn.
    Fitbit over the past week and a half has given me 2700-3200 daily burn.
    I've been cutting 20% off that and still losing.
    I ate half a pint of Ben and Jerry's last night and woke up 3lbs lighter today.
    This **** works!
    You just have to believe in it!

:|

Not all of us can eat half a pint of ice cream and lose three pounds. To assume so would be ridiculous.

Agreed
    IIFYM it does.

Agreed. If I want something like that, I add it in to my diary, then plan the rest of my macros around it.
    Getting to my macro targets is like a game to me, I love the challenge of getting as close as possible.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 4" and eat around 2000 calories every day. I eat every single calorie I burn and NEVER net below my BMR (1450 NET). I never eat below 1800 either, even on rest days. I have been doing this since Feb, am almost 30 pounds down and am almost to my goal weight. I work out a fair amount and LOVE to eat. Why not eat more if you can? I have suffered on 1200 calorie diets in the past and gained some, if not all, of the weight BACK. I swore this time would NOT be a diet and it hasnt been. I feel healthy eating enough to fuel my body and confident that I am setting a good example for my daughter. I never want her to think she has to be hungry to be healthy, it is quite the opposite! I couldnt say the same on any "diet" I did in the past. :)

Oh, I forgot to mention I just increased my calories (again!) to 2100 to break a plateau. The human body is amazing if we treat it right!

I couldn't have said it better myself!! So true!! :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I just asked a DR and a Personal Trainer about this. Both said I should be eating more often (6 times a day) but same amount of calories and not to eat after 8pm. It is supposed to get your body into a regiment of your metabolism burning all day. I take in 2000 calories (5'11" male) but eat 5 times a day breakfast at home, morning snack lunch and afternoon snack at work, then dinner when I get home. They suggested 6 times but I can seem to swing that.

So I would say its eat more often not eat more.

Dr's don't spend much training on this topic anyway, and certainly not keeping up with current info, I'll let the Dr off the hook, though they should really just refer you to someone else.

Who would ask a roofing contractor to comment on the HVAC system and count on an informed opinion, even though a vent stack may come through the roof.

The PT has sadly just stuck with some old myths that many studies have disproved.
    Body burns the same amount of energy, or metabolism you might say, digesting food spread out or several bigger meals.
    The difference is usually just the opposite of what you want.
    Keep ingesting carbs all the time, you just keep your insulin elevated, and fat-storage mode on, and possibly getting low blood sugar if prone to that, and that will just make you feel hungrier faster than needed.

Eating 1 meal a day after 8pm might indeed be a bad idea, and going to bed at 10 pm. But having normal dinner time and snack later has been shown in studies to not cause any differences in weight loss or gain.

Might ask the PT about their continuing education, or curiosity on keeping up with current info.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I've been cutting 20% off that and still losing.
    I ate half a pint of Ben and Jerry's last night and woke up 3lbs lighter today.
    This **** works!
    You just have to believe in it!

:|

Not all of us can eat half a pint of ice cream and lose three pounds. To assume so would be ridiculous.

Agreed
    IIFYM it does.

Agreed. If I want something like that, I add it in to my diary, then plan the rest of my macros around it.
    Getting to my macro targets is like a game to me, I love the challenge of getting as close as possible.
    I've had rice, bread, cheese, chocolate milk and even BANANAS today. And I'm still under my carb and fat goals with 200 cals to spare, and over 200g of protein.

I consider a day a disaster if I don't eat something just because I enjoy it.
  • SlinkyNewMe
    SlinkyNewMe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Eating more didn't work for me. I have been eating around 1500 - 1600 for the past three months or so, after plateauing on 1200 cals a day. I have not lost any more weight. I exercise mainly doing Body Pump classes two or three times a week, other than that I am quite sedentary, apart from being busy around the house, and short walks to do school pick up. I am still on the same weight I was three months ago.

So today I have set my calories back to 1220, will exercise four times a week. I will eat 1200 calories on non exercise days and 1500 - 1600 on exercise days.

My stats - Height = 5 feet 3 inches. Starting weight on Weight Watchers Oct 2011 = 189 Starting weight on MFP December 2011 = 174, current weight = 169 lbs, goal weight = 133 lbs. Age 46.

I would say everyone is different, play around with what works for you. Eat healthy, get exercise. Good luck!
  • heybales
    Options

Can you tell from the FitBit site what they must have used for the BMR to base the calorie estimates off of?

MFP of course uses Mifflin, BodyMedia uses Harris and then adjust based on your sleep heat I suppose.

And then to your stats, how close is your more accurate Katch BMR compared to Harris BMR in case they use that.

I'm thinking, you might actually be higher, which means FitBit's foundation for estimating calorie burn, is underestimated - and you are actually burning more!
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    small.jpg

This happened to me, eating more. Om nom nom, fooood.

WOW! You look amazing! Well done on an awesome tranformation! :-) :flowerforyou:
  • heybales
    Options
    Eating more didn't work for me. I have been eating around 1500 - 1600 for the past three months or so, after plateauing on 1200 cals a day. I have not lost any more weight. I exercise mainly doing Body Pump classes two or three times a week, other than that I am quite sedentary, apart from being busy around the house, and short walks to do school pick up. I am still on the same weight I was three months ago.

So today I have set my calories back to 1220, will exercise four times a week. I will eat 1200 calories on non exercise days and 1500 - 1600 on exercise days.

My stats - Height = 5 feet 3 inches. Starting weight on Weight Watchers Oct 2011 = 189 Starting weight on MFP December 2011 = 174, current weight = 169 lbs, goal weight = 133 lbs. Age 46.

I would say everyone is different, play around with what works for you. Eat healthy, get exercise. Good luck!

A stall is no weight OR measurement changes in 3 weeks.

Did you measure?

Since you were exercising with good workout there, and actually feeding enough for your body to make improvements, that means easily no weight loss, only fat loss.

Remember too, just as you cannot spot reduce, you can't spot measure, like just the waist, must measure many spots.
  • DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I just have to say. My god do I love eating a lot of food. It's so awesome what regular exercise can do for your body. You know, when you are giving it enough of a load to efficiently burn the energy you consume within a reasonable range .
  • julia_shealy
    Options
    You have to remember that this sites calorie intake is a loose calculation you may need to increase. I know for my self this website is at least 200-300 calories off since I breast feed. I have to remember that eating too little makes you gain when you eat right initailly bc your body went into "starvation" mode.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I can't say whether it worked for me or not as when I increased my calorie from 1300 to 1600, I also started exercising and lifting. I ended up at my record high weight. 3 months later my weight and inches were still creeping up so I decided to drop back to 1200 and I lost all the "gained" weight. I really don't know what went on then. Even now I am not sure if eating 1200 will keep me losing.
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I have not upped my calories, right now I'm at 1200 which is good enough for me. My sister was stuck for about a month or so and she upped her calories and steadily lost weight!!! Just depends on the person and what your body is used to I think. I have noticed when I plateau, chaning up what I eat, or workout routine without adding calories for a few weeks, will usually get me going again.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying people should make charts like Waldo's. I'm saying you don't need to obsess over which TDEE estimate is right for you, are you eating at the right deficit from TDEE, etc. Pick a number you think seems do-able and about the deficit you want, in a month see if you lost the weight it predicted. If not, adjust from there. No charts needed.

You understand that calories is a measure of energy, and that our body gets calories from stored body fat? We don't have to fuel our exercise (or our BMR) from today's food. That's how weight loss works. We eat 1200 to get adequate nutrients and satiety (not calories). We burn calories to reduce stored fat.

Thank you for clarifying.
    Have you tried eating more to lose weight?
    I can't say whether it worked for me or not as when I increased my calorie from 1300 to 1600, I also started exercising and lifting. I ended up at my record high weight. 3 months later my weight and inches were still creeping up so I decided to drop back to 1200 and I lost all the "gained" weight. I really don't know what went on then. Even now I am not sure if eating 1200 will keep me losing.

Did you have the info correct on setting up your routine?
    Were you cutting 20% from TDEE?
    How often did you work out?
    Was it just water weight or was it actual fat gains?
    I tried to read your Road Map post, Dan, but it had so many misinterpretations in the first four paragraphs I had to stop. I DO agree that TDEE minus 20% makes a lot more sense than the MFP plan. That's about all, though.

Explain so when I post update 3.0 i'll better understand where you are coming from.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Didn't I see you say in another thread that you also stopped lifting? That would also cause water and glycogen to normalize and result in lower weight.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Can you tell from the FitBit site what they must have used for the BMR to base the calorie estimates off of?

MFP of course uses Mifflin, BodyMedia uses Harris and then adjust based on your sleep heat I suppose.

And then to your stats, how close is your more accurate Katch BMR compared to Harris BMR in case they use that.

I'm thinking, you might actually be higher, which means FitBit's foundation for estimating calorie burn, is underestimated - and you are actually burning more!

Just today I took a 2+ mile walk.
    Map my run indicates a 300cal burn while my fitbit logged 290.
    *shrugs*
    The only problem I have with fitbit is its hard to use with weights.
    Thats how I stay in shape.
    So I still estimate a 100cal burn per 20mins lifting and stick with that.
  • albayin
    Options
    Hello Dan,

Thank you for your attention. I am not sure what info you were asking "on setting up the routine". Anyway what I did was to add cardio of 1 hour, 4 days/week, 3 days of WT, half hour each session.

My TDEE was 1900 or something like that. I forgot...basal was 1312 or something like that. I was eating 1200-1300 for almost a year and managed to lose 10 pounds, then...things happened and I was told to add exercise and calories so I did. And now you got the whole story. :)

I am not sure if it was all fat. But my pants no longer fit and I looked....bigger in the mirror and on the camera.
  • aatetu803
    aatetu803 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's not about eating a lot but more about eating smaller portions more times in a day. That way it keeps your metabolism going throughout the day and your body never goes into starvation mode thus losing weight. It's working for some people it's all all about being careful with what you eat and when.
  • DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    It's not about eating a lot but more about eating smaller portions more times in a day. That way it keeps your metabolism going throughout the day and your body never goes into starvation mode thus losing weight. It's working for some people it's all all about being careful with what you eat and when.

Lol I have a feeling you are about to get attacked.
  • albayin
    Options

Didn't I see you say in another thread that you also stopped lifting? That would also cause water and glycogen to normalize and result in lower weight.

Could be. Thank you for remembering me. :) I am trying out different methods...I simply can't stand how I looked and felt. :(
  • SlinkyNewMe
    SlinkyNewMe Posts: 213 Member
    Options

A stall is no weight OR measurement changes in 3 weeks.

Did you measure?

Since you were exercising with good workout there, and actually feeding enough for your body to make improvements, that means easily no weight loss, only fat loss.

Remember too, just as you cannot spot reduce, you can't spot measure, like just the waist, must measure many spots.

I have been measuring waist, hips and thighs - no change. I am so stalled, that if you looked "stalled" up in the dictionary you would see my face frowning back at you!:huh: