Guiltless pizza? Does such a thing exist!?

Options
wolveslovemee
wolveslovemee Posts: 156 Member
Hey everyone!

Please dont laugh at my post because I am dead serious! lol
I am looking for a recipe for guiltless pizza. Not to eat everyday, or replace meals with it, but because once a week, or during the um...lady..times...I like to kind of loosen my grip JUST a little bit.

I know there is no such thing, but perhaps there are some supplements I can make?

For example...maybe using Polenta as a crust?
Low fat 2% mozerrella cheese (1/4 a cup is only 80 calories)
Some lower sugar sauce?

Surely such a thing can be made right?

lemme know if you have any ideas!

Replies

• Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat tortilla or pita, spread with crushed tomatoes (crush your own, no added perservatives or sodium), sprinkle italian seasoning, add mozzarella or veggie cheese (I found a real good soy one years ago and now it's nowhere to be found :( ), add veggies, maybe grilled chicken if you like.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Well, you can start your pizza off with a cauliflower pizza crust. I've made it before, and its actually really good. Its pretty low calorie (definitely more low cal than flour based crusts). The recipe calls for regular cheese, but I've found that you can decrease the calories even more by using fat free cheese. The odd texture of fat free cheese actually lends structure to this pizza crust.

After you have the crust, creating your own pizza sauce is a healthy option. Cans of plain tomato sauce are around 40 calories per half cup. Jars of premade pizza sauce can be upwards of 90 per half cup! Just find a can of plain tomato sauce and add your own herbs and seasoning.

Next we move onto the cheese. Use reduced fat cheese. You can use fat free cheese if you want (regular cheese has a little over 100 calories per ounce. Reduced fat cheese has about 80. Fat free has 45). Its quite a reduction in calories, but the texture can be very rubbery, especially when its sprinkled plain and exposed to dry heat.

Also, with the cheese, it helps to add a little pamesan. Parmesan is a strong flavored cheese, so you can use less mozzerella and still get a good cheesy taste (plus parmesan adds an "umami" taste, also known as savory)

As for the toppings, veggies are your friends. Pile on the peppers, onions, mushrooms, and whatever other vegetable floats your boat. It you like protein on your pizza, stick with lean sources like chicken breast.

Use lots of seasoning so that you get good flavor and are satisfied by the pizza.

Hope that helped! :)
  • JessicaMurch5515
    JessicaMurch5515 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I make mine on whole wheat tortillas like Sapporo suggested. I spread a tablespoon of marinara sauce on it and top with 1/4 cup of reduced fat shredded cheese and whatever veggies I have in the fridge. My favorite combo is mushrooms, green peppers and onion.
  • maddiedog22
    maddiedog22 Posts: 116
    Options
    As said above cauliflower crust really good
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Any pizza is guilt free if it fits your calories.

When I want pizza... I want REAL PIZZA. Thick crust, lots of sauce, lots of cheese, and delicious toppings. If I wanted vegetables on a cracker, I'd have veggies and crackers.

I just can't wrap my mind around pizza-guilt. I have half of a DiGiorno on a regular basis... at least once a week. That's about 800-1000 calories for those four slices, which is just about the same amount I eat for dinner any other night. After exercise, I have about 2000 calories a day to play with, which usually works out to about 300 for breakfast, 400 for lunch, a couple hundred here or there for snacks, so it fits. The only "problem" is that it's high in sodium, but as long as you're not expecting to see a loss on the scale the next day and don't have any health issues that would be aggravated by sodium... not seeing any problems. :smile:
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you're looking for something with less calories or a healthier version of regular white flour pizza.
    I use this recipe as an alternative to delivery pizza because it's made with whole wheat flour:

http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/Recipes/Recipe/CE-Whole-Wheat-Pizza-Dough.aspx
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

When I want pizza... I want REAL PIZZA. Thick crust, lots of sauce, lots of cheese, and delicious toppings. If I wanted vegetables on a cracker, I'd have veggies and crackers.

I just can't wrap my mind around pizza-guilt. I have half of a DiGiorno on a regular basis... at least once a week. That's about 800-1000 calories for those four slices, which is just about the same amount I eat for dinner any other night. After exercise, I have about 2000 calories a day to play with, which usually works out to about 300 for breakfast, 400 for lunch, a couple hundred here or there for snacks, so it fits. The only "problem" is that it's high in sodium, but as long as you're not expecting to see a loss on the scale the next day and don't have any health issues that would be aggravated by sodium... not seeing any problems. :smile:

Amen to that!

I don't eat frozen pizza but we make homemade pizzas once a week (Friday night is pizza & movie night at our house) and I made a big (dinner plate sized) pizza with a nice medium thick crust and lot of toppings & cheese. Depending on how much dough I use and the toppings I can get it as low as 500-550 calories but usually it's more like 700 for a BIG pizza and it's totally worth every calorie.
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I have heard of making the crust from quinoa flour- I haven't tried it but plan to do so. Anyone else?
  • SuperSneaky
    SuperSneaky Posts: 43
    Options
    Check out "Poor Girl Eats Well" for a polenta pizza crust, and (never home) maker has all sorts of "healthy" crusts -- some even use beet and pumpkin puree.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options

Always so full of wisdom. THIS!
  • reka74
    reka74 Posts: 70
    Options
    I agree too.
    The real pizza I vote for. I just eat less than I used to... lol
  • Love2HikeMT
    Love2HikeMT Posts: 42
    Options
    Okay, weird as it may seem, this is my very favorite pizza:

Homemade pizza dough...
    Pesto base first, then
    shredded carrots (put on paper towels first and press out juice), then
    chopped fresh spinach, then
    low fat mozzarella shredded cheese, then
    shredded Parmesan cheese (good stuff), then
    crumbled dried basil....

Bake at 400-450-degrees for 10-12 minutes...

Sooooo yummy....

If you eat meat, you could add ~ after the spinach ~ crumbled, cooked pork sausage or shredded chicken or whatever...
  • Escarda
    Escarda Posts: 131 Member
    Options

I agree with this post!
    I see this as a lifestyle change not a diet. Which means indulging in the foods i love, but all in moderation!!
    And i think that is the key!
    A few days ago i picked up this 900 calorie meat feast pizza from asda. Cooked it and had half of it for breakfast, and put the other half in the fridge for the next day.
    So for breakfast 400 calories of heavenly pizza, filled me up for about 5 hours, where i then had a healthy dinner with veggies and the rest.
    And had calories to spare at the end of the night.
    And trust me i have a low daily calorie goal..
    It can be done! So in essence; all pizza is guilt-free pizza. As long as you plan the meal before you have it..
    I say enjoy, live your life! And loose weight at the same time! =)
  • Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    I love pizza! It's my favourite thing EVER.

I make my own pizzas, I know exactly what goes into it and I can put all sorts of things on top. Bugger the whole 'proper pizza only has a few toppings' school of thought, the more the merrier for me!

My pizza dough is a homemade flour-based dough, and is probably the most calorific part of the meal. But I roll it really thin (love thin-crust pizza). I do my own tomato sauce with a tin of tomatoes and herbs and spices. Then I go to town on the toppings - am yet to find something that doesn't 'go'! A new favourite is broad beans - seriously, a few blanched (and peeled) broad beans thrown on are delicious AND a fantastic splash of colour! I don't use a lot of cheese on my pizza, but the cheese that I use packs a punch. Often I'll use a few shavings of parmesan or something like that - tasty but not over-the-top.

I think I worked out before that two slices of my pizza (which is all I can fit in by the time I've overloaded it with toppings) comes out at about 500 calories. Maybe 600, depending on what meat I used. I'd literally eat it every day if I could, but the dough takes a while to rise, knock back, rise again etc. But if it wasn't for the timing issue I'd eat pizza EVERY SINGLE NIGHT.

Honestly, if I had to choose between being healthy and eating pizza I'd totally choose pizza. But you can have both! Anything's guilt-free as long as you've planned for it and have the calories free.
  • Michelleypoo82
    Options
    Kashi, California Pizza Kitchen, Newman's Own all make yummy thin crust frozen pizzas!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

Don't know her but she's smart and hot. Pizza is delicious. Pizza on portion control is even more satisfying. I had half a personal last night. It was real and only 380ish calories. No substitute for the real thing.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I just made myself a pizza on a new grill pan I bought for cooking outside on the grill. I used the Flatout light original flatbread, sliced tomato thin to cover it, then topped with 1.5 ounces of freshly shredded low fat mozzarella along with some fresh onion and sprinkled with oregano. All for around 240 calories!!! DELISH!!!!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    why does pizza = guilt? guess I missed the memo .... because I had two slices of hawaiian stuffed crust for lunch today.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bumping for later