Guiltless pizza? Does such a thing exist!?

Options

Replies

• kaymarie78
    kaymarie78 Posts: 104
    Options
    Well, you can start your pizza off with a cauliflower pizza crust. I've made it before, and its actually really good. Its pretty low calorie (definitely more low cal than flour based crusts). The recipe calls for regular cheese, but I've found that you can decrease the calories even more by using fat free cheese. The odd texture of fat free cheese actually lends structure to this pizza crust.

After you have the crust, creating your own pizza sauce is a healthy option. Cans of plain tomato sauce are around 40 calories per half cup. Jars of premade pizza sauce can be upwards of 90 per half cup! Just find a can of plain tomato sauce and add your own herbs and seasoning.

Next we move onto the cheese. Use reduced fat cheese. You can use fat free cheese if you want (regular cheese has a little over 100 calories per ounce. Reduced fat cheese has about 80. Fat free has 45). Its quite a reduction in calories, but the texture can be very rubbery, especially when its sprinkled plain and exposed to dry heat.

Also, with the cheese, it helps to add a little pamesan. Parmesan is a strong flavored cheese, so you can use less mozzerella and still get a good cheesy taste (plus parmesan adds an "umami" taste, also known as savory)

As for the toppings, veggies are your friends. Pile on the peppers, onions, mushrooms, and whatever other vegetable floats your boat. It you like protein on your pizza, stick with lean sources like chicken breast.

Use lots of seasoning so that you get good flavor and are satisfied by the pizza.

Hope that helped! :)

I really want to try the cauliflower crust! It sounds so yummy!
  • ShyFeather
    ShyFeather Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Here are some of the pizza recipes I have saved on my pintrest. Each one uses a different kind of crust and toppings so it can give you some ideas to make your own kind of pizza.

Breakfast Pita Pizza ~ 383 calories for whole pita
    http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/cooking-ideas/5-best-bacon-dishes-weve-ever-seen?page=8

Light Barbeque Pizza ~ 157 calories a slice
    http://pinchofyum.com/light-bbq-chicken-pizza

3 Cheese Spinach Flat Bread Pizza ~ less than 250 calories for whole pizza
    http://greenlitebites.com/2011/12/05/cheese-spinach-flat-bread-pizza/
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    All pizza is guiltless pizza for me.
    I don't feel guilt for eating things I like. I just plan them into my calorie goals.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    We make a 100% whole wheat pizza every week and I have it down to 110 cals a slice and it's delicious.

Wow how do you manage to get it such a low calorie?!
    Thats awesome, share your secret please!

12" 100% Whole Wheat Pizza Shell- Mama Mary's is perfect bc it's so thin and crispy
    1/2 cup natural pizza sauce-I buy an organic with no added salt and has very low sugar
    1/2 cup FF or 2% Shredded Mozzarella
    Turkey Pepperoni-I don't care for alot but if you add more it doesn't increase the cals too much
    1/2 cup diced onion

Bake at 425 for 10 minutes.
    Serves 8

I've also done Hawaiin BBQ Chicken Pizza with similar stats but that recipe is complicated due to the healthy BBQ sauce.

Just a matter of changing from regular pepperoni to turkey, switching your cheese and using 100% WW; you improve your macros greatly and still have great tasting pizza.

FYI: People please read the thread before continuing to comment on the guilt part.
  • JB5349
    JB5349 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have taken a whole wheat pita, tomato sauce, 4 oz steak, mushrooms broccoli and low fat cheese - it is awesome and works out to be aprox 400 calories!

The other option is McCains extra thin crust pizza they have a bunch of different ones and the calories are between 130-170 a slice - i usually add a bunch of veggies and then eat away! They are pretty good too

Hope that this helps
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Lol, I never have guilt eating pizza.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I buy the whole wheat pizza crust from my grocery store and pile it with lots of stuff.. Fat free mozzarella, extra lean ground turkey, spinach, beans, ANYTHING! The ones I've made serve 8 and are around 150 calories a slice.
  • npk3034
    npk3034 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    200 Calorie pizzas:

1 Josephs Pita (flax and other healthy ingredients) 60 calories (though I have seen some others for around 100 that look yummy!)
    2 tblspns of sauce about 20 calories give or take
    9 slices turkey Pepperoni about 35 calories
    1/4 cup of Mozzerella (1/2 FF and Half part Skim MIXED together - I put 1/4 cup each in a baggie and shake to mix, then use half of it) about 60 calories

I added Mushrooms to mine which brought it up to about 200 calories - but you could put whatever veggies you want on it. The point is, without the veggies, it's only about 175 calories for a whole Pita Pizza. and you could have TWO pretty easily at that:) YUMO!!

Thanks for sharing...loved it :)
  • fatmom51
    fatmom51 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    When I'm in the mood for pizza I usually make an english muffin pizza ..they are so low in calories and they do the job for a pizza craving ! add a ton of veggies or chicken to it to make it high protein ..it's win win !!

I was about to suggest this, too, but someone else suggested the Sandwich Thins, which might hit the texture of crust even better, depending on what kind of crust you like. (Pitas or tortillas will work, too!) They also sell pizza sauce in a squeeze bottle so you can make an individual one when the mood strikes without having to open an entire can. Try the low-fat cheeses, turkey pepperoni as someone suggested, if that's what you're craving.

And to the OP, please don't apologize. I totally got what you were asking. Obviously you know that you CAN try to work pizza in. You're just looking for ways to make a healthy, yummy pizza at home. I'm not much on finding and then making recipes (even though I love to browse them I just don't have time and it's usually just me at home since my girls have busy lives). But you could take a peek at the Hungry Girl website since she has awesome "guilt-free" recipes since most of us are here because we've learned we can't always have the full-fat, full-sugar versions of the things we love (in the quantities we had been eating) and need to find substitutes for the times in-between.
  • wolveslovemee
    wolveslovemee Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Wow these are some awesome recipes! Thank you all so much, I actually copy and pasted all three pages of the thread so I have them written down!

Thanks very much <3
  • istril
    istril Posts: 11
    Options
    Oh! I almost forgot, one of my favorite kinds -- french bread pizza!!! The only problem with that is that the crust is still made out of french bread and the carbs add calories, but you can totally cut out all the fat and grease. Plus you can just slice the french bread a little thinner. I LOVE the crust on french bread pizza so I think this is a nice option in terms of calorie cost vs. flavor.
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have two versions of guiltless pizza.

Thin Crust pizza, made with a Whole Wheat Tortilla, Low fat mozerella cheese, sauced with jarred sauce (about a 2 tbs) , and topped with 2 whole black olives (chopped), Grilled Chicken Strips, Artichoke hearts, and a few diced peppers and onions.

*Tip put the tortilla in the oven for about 4 minutes before putting the toppings on. Put the toppings on the side that was facing down in the oven.

The second version is a little more guilty. Whole Wheat Pita for the crust, topped with Jarred Sauce, Monzerella cheese, Turkery Pepperoni and Turkey Sauge.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Have a single slice of the real deal. If it fits in your cals, it's guiltless.
  • veganpoler
    veganpoler Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I eat my pizza without cheese, and I make a crust 50/50 whole wheat and white flour. Top with tomato sauce and lots of grilled veggies. When it comes out of the oven, I drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil and top with some chopped fresh basil.

Cheeseless pizza is awesome. You might think pizza is all about the cheese, but try it without sometime and I guarantee you will be pleasantly surprised! It tastes delicious and you feel energized, not heavy, after eating it.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I made mini pizzas using Cauliflower on Friday and they were super yummy! It didn't taste like cauliflower at all. This is the recipe I used http://joandsue.blogspot.com/2012/05/cauliflower-pizza-bites.html
  • hmckeg
    hmckeg Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I make personal pizzas on plain rice cakes, I love them!
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    GUILTLESS PIZZA_TOASTED OR BAKED! You Pick!!!

90 calorie round bread (or 100 cal) (2 slices)
    30 cal low sodium/low fat pizza sauce (1/4 cup)
    50 cal fat free string cheeese sliced (1 sitck)
    1/2 chppped roma tomatoe (med)
    1/2 cup raw spinich

NOW: This is your topping options you pick and choose according to your calorie intake (you might have to look up some ingredients according to your brands- but always go fat free, healthy or low sodium, sugarless when you can):

35 calorie Hormel turkey peperoni (about 7 slices chopped)
    or
    26 calorie (1 slice lunch meat )low sodium lean ham (chopped)
    or
    1.0z skinless chicken or skinless turkey (get creative)
    or
    2 table spoons pineapple chunks
    or
    2 med mushrooms chopped
    or
    2 large olives chopped
  • imsleepdeprived
    imsleepdeprived Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Wantstobefitagain
    Wantstobefitagain Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Use pita bread as the crust, whole wheat pita bread is awesome and about 130 calories
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that pounds a chicken breast thin and uses it instead of the regular crust. Then just top with a smidge of sauce, tad of cheese and veggies