This is a SERIOUS topic!! Respond ASAP...

Options
You know the messages you receive when an MFP Friend has not logged in for 3,5, or 7 days, etc? Do you check on that friend? I will be honest and tell you that if they didn't let us know they were going to be away for awhile, after 10 days I delete. I am not at all trying to be mean, but I add friends and request to be friends for support.

The reason I bring this up is because I have an MFP Friend who has been gone for 2 weeks because she is seeing if she can stick to her goals without MFP. Her exact words were that she knows she can't use MFP "forever". OMG! The thought of no MFP logging. I had plans to continue to use after I reached my next goal. There is no finish line, per Bob Harper, so MFP is in fact FOREVER for me.

What are your thoughts? Do you plan on letting MFP go one day?

Replies

• myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I tried not using MFP for a month last year. That experiment didn't go so well. So, for the foreseeable future, I don't intend to stop using it.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'll be here forever... lol
  • robinhardysmall
    robinhardysmall Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Now that I have found MFP- oh no! This is how I stay accountable to myelf as well as my friends~ I know what would happen if I left for a day- I would be over double my calories for one day!
  • mangojh2
    mangojh2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Good question.... I guess I haven't thought that far ahead... but if I gave up MFP wouldn't I end up where I was before?
  • sherim71
    sherim71 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    At this point, I have never even given that a THOUGHT. I have only lost 13 pounds. I have at least 30 to go. I get on MFP daily. I also have deleted MFP friends, if I don't know them in real life, if they don't log on for a period of time. So as long as I am working on those 30 pounds, MFP will be working right along beside me :)
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    You can check out any time at night, but you can never leave.
  • Silence88
    Silence88 Posts: 26
    Options
    I have no plans of not using MFP. I'll always use the app, even when I hit my goal weight.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, if you have to log on everyday to keep yourself in check then you aren't really learning how to be healthy. What happens if your power goes out for a week, are you going to get fat? If so then you have failed to really grasp the concept. Let her go and try it out. There is not one right or wrong way to do this healthy life thing.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I delete them too unless I know they are on vacay.

I will count calories forever. When I don't my weight goes up. So I'll do it here or spark or wherever but I will keep doing calorie counting forever.
  • marylouise123
    marylouise123 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I will be here until its not here anymore (God forbid that happen).. I will need it just as much when I maintain as I do now.. I have an addiction to food & I know I need the support.. Also I want to help people to.. I to delete people who have been absent for over 20 days... Sometimes less.. To each his own - but I love MFP & I will be here as long as they have me.... :)
  • BriskisGrl
    BriskisGrl Posts: 461
    Options
    I comment on it and ask if they are receiving this for them to come back and try to encourage them to do so.. (since a lot of times messages go to email) I had a friend that stopped for a week . She had broken her phone so couldn't log in and sincerely appreciated the encouraging responses she had received to come back.
  • TwtyMami35
    TwtyMami35 Posts: 99
    Options
    WHEW! I am so glad there are others as addicted...I mean dedicated as me....LOL...I truly had not though of MFP not being a part of my life until I read her post where she checked in to Lexus know she was putting herself through this test. I was in shock....lol, but seriously. I have yo yo dieted for many years and MFP has been the FIRST plan that has motivated and happily pushed me to succeed.

I am not even going to test myself. I know I would have withdrawals. Look what happens when the site or app is down....LOL..
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I definitely understand how you're feeling. I typically do send message an "are you doing alright" sort of message. I've only had one who didn't respond. I haven't bothered to unfriend her because I keep hearing that because of a glitch, they don't usually leave your newsfeed. I've had a couple of friends come back too.

Most of us have more in our newsfeed than we can keep up with. In my book, you're justified in removing friends who don't participate.
  • wolftrax
    wolftrax Posts: 50
    Options

Welcome to the Hotel California...You can stab it with your steely knife, but you can't kill the beast..
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    You know the messages you receive when an MFP Friend has not logged in for 3,5, or 7 days, etc? Do you check on that friend? I will be honest and tell you that if they didn't let us know they were going to be away for awhile, after 10 days I delete. I am not at all trying to be mean, but I add friends and request to be friends for support.

The reason I bring this up is because I have an MFP Friend who has been gone for 2 weeks because she is seeing if she can stick to her goals without MFP. Her exact words were that she knows she can't use MFP "forever". OMG! The thought of no MFP logging. I had plans to continue to use after I reached my next goal. There is no finish line, per Bob Harper, so MFP is in fact FOREVER for me.

I agree with you 100% It's like if you need a friend to help you with a problem, then forgetting that friend once problem solved. MFP is a blessing for me. Without it, I wouldnt be learning about a healthier lifestyle or wouldnt be inspired on a daily basis by some of the stories I read. Even if I reach my goal weight, I will still be experimenting with different foods etc and I still need MFP to help me with that. :-))
  • queenstatus
    queenstatus Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    HELLO. I DO CHECK ON THEM BECAUSE I BELEIVE THAT THAT IS WHAT WE ARE SUPPOSE TO DO. GIVE SUPPORT AS WELL AS RECEIVE IT. SOMETIMES PEOPLE ARE GOING THROUGH THEIR OWN PERSONAL STRUGGLE AND NEED TO BE CHECKED ON. YOU NEVER KNOW, JUST BY YOU CHECKING ON THEM MAY HELP THAT PERSON. ISN'T THAT WHAT WE ARE ALL HERE FOR? AS FOR YOUR FRIEND, THAT IS HOW SHE FEELS AND MAYBE SHE WILL BE SUCCESSFUL. WHAT WORKS FOR ONE MAY NOT WORK FOR ALL. I, MYSELF DO NOT KNOW ALL ABOUT THAT BUT I WISH HER THE BEST. I KNOW THAT I NEED MFP AND THE FAMILY THAT I HAVE MADE SINCE BEING HERE.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You know the messages you receive when an MFP Friend has not logged in for 3,5, or 7 days, etc? Do you check on that friend?
    I will send them a message, asking them what is going on, and hope they come back . if I get no response after a couple days, then they go away.. with that said, I have had a couple that did come back, it was simply personal home issues that kept them away ( hey life happens)

well since I still have 140 pounds to lose, I will be here for a long time, and by that point, im sure it will be a habit (already been 84 days) .. I might not log my food as much once I am at goal but I will still log in .. even then , I am just saying, if I have had a busy day and don't log my food, no big deal .. taking a couple days a week from logging won't hurt me ( permanent non tracking probably will cause the weight to return )
  • TwtyMami35
    Options
    In my opinion, if you have to log on everyday to keep yourself in check then you aren't really learning how to be healthy. What happens if your power goes out for a week, are you going to get fat? If so then you have failed to really grasp the concept. Let her go and try it out. There is not one right or wrong way to do this healthy life thing.

I totally agree with you. Funny you should make this statement. I bought a food diary, paperback. I work on a PC ALL day at work and we go down ALL the time. This gave me the ideato get the food diary in paperback. When MFP goes down I am still cool as a cucumber because I write down the food, beverages, and exercises to log later.

It's more of a good habit. Writing it down makes me accountable.
  • TwtyMami35
    Options

Well said!