This is a SERIOUS topic!! Respond ASAP...

Options

Replies

• kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I will be here forever and ever and ever. It isn't a chore to me to log my calories, I've been doing it so long I'm used to it. I like having friends on here too, they motivate me and I hope that I help motivate them too!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I assumed people would understand it's just a post that brought about a reason for discussion. The word serious was to display my concern and want for others thoughts on MFP not being here. It is a bit "serious" to me, but perhaps not as serious to others. :tongue:
    I was just kidding. :) Although I did come in expecting something rather different. Maybe like "I just ate ___ that expired last year and feeling nauseated. what do I do?? " lol
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, if you have to log on everyday to keep yourself in check then you aren't really learning how to be healthy. What happens if your power goes out for a week, are you going to get fat? If so then you have failed to really grasp the concept. Let her go and try it out. There is not one right or wrong way to do this healthy life thing.

Exactly my thoughts and very well said. I have learned some great info on MFP and I do log on MANY times daily at this point BUT, I'm still a newbie when it comes to educating myself about eating healthy and I want to be here. So for now, I'll stay. If an MFP friend told me they wanted to try on their own I would support them however I could and would not delete because they are venturing out on their own. Hmmm...isn't that kind of an Unfriendly thing to do..? Deleting the friend, I mean.
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    There is no finish line, per Bob Harper, so MFP is in fact FOREVER for me.

What are your thoughts? Do you plan on letting MFP go one day?

MFP is very helpful to me, but in truth, it can be as bad and as much a distraction as fb. I can sit on here all day reading and responding etc... helping others forever while my butt grows wider on the couch.
    I have not gone that way... BUT I could have.

Nothing that runs on electricity is forever in my mind... the future is too uncertain. I'd like to take the skills and new habits with me as I fly away~ cutting the apron strings as I go, free... and empowered to fulfill my potential.

We are not all the same, and the causes for our health concerns are many and varied. So, maybe some can walk away and be ok, and others need to keep with it to keep the focus.

Peace~
  • peppiee
    peppiee Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thinking I'm going to be here forever also. The National Weight Control Registry tracks people who have lost weight and kept it off, and most continue to exercise, continue to watch what they eat, and continue to weigh themselves at least once a week. Pretty much what MFP allows us to do. After all the hard work, I certainly don't want to go back.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I went on vacation and was on MFP every day.. and I still couldn't do it on my own yet. I have a nutritionist that does all my meal plans for weight loss. I'd have been fine as I lost the 2 lbs that I gained while I was away, but I felt naked without my support network and my normal food choices.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I don't delete people who don't log in. It doesn't affect me if I don't really know them, and if I have gotten to know them, I'd want to be there if they ever came back. :)
  • Alma_Sana
    Alma_Sana Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • heddylyn
    heddylyn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've been at my goal weight for almost a year and I still track on MFP every single day. I see it as the "life style change" that everyone talks about. It is so easy for me to underestimate what I'm eating if I don't track it. I have no plans of stopping. It has just become a part of my life and it works great for me!
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    actually, I do! I care about people and I know that if they signed up for help, then they probably still need motivation and they will eventually come back. I have had friends that I added over a year ago who I have written when they go astray and they have come back and are doing well on here.

I guess I have a big heart and love to help others so it does not take anymore time for me to "check on them" or send an encouraging message then it does for me to type this response out!
  • TwtyMami35
    TwtyMami35 Posts: 99
    Options
    I don't know... Right now, in the early stages of my lifestyle change, I need MFP for accountability and encouragement. But down the road, when I'm more set in my routine, maybe not so much?? When I quit smoking, 9 years ago, I logged into the support website multiple times a day. Now I log in once a year on my anniversary to encourage those just starting out. I could see MFP becoming something more that that for me....

BEAUTIFUL and added motivation! Thank you!
  • belle0226
    belle0226 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have tried on another site before joining MFP and I thought I could go a while on my own there. That was a mistake. I came here per a friends recommendation. I accept I will always need to know how much I ate or can eat to stay where I need to be. There really is no finish line.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've given up logging my food for the most part. Some days I do, some days I don't. I've been maintaining about the same weight for almost a year now.

But I still log into the site daily. I think I'm around 515 days in a row.

I do deactivate no-shows after about a week or three.
  • TwtyMami35
    Options
    actually, I do! I care about people and I know that if they signed up for help, then they probably still need motivation and they will eventually come back. I have had friends that I added over a year ago who I have written when they go astray and they have come back and are doing well on here.

I guess I have a big heart and love to help others so it does not take anymore time for me to "check on them" or send an encouraging message then it does for me to type this response out!

I have read others with big hearts and reasons as good as yours for why they continue to support and drop lines to those who have been MIA for a short period. These posts, including yours, have made me rethink my process. Thank you for the response!
  • garita93
    garita93 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I delete people that have been inactive/not loggin for a month.
    this.

and yeah i think i'll be sticking with MFP once I reach my weight goal and am ready for maintenance. The food logging in itself is a great way to stay accountable with myself and not at least give a second thought about any foods i might want to indulge in.

Besides that I've e-met some pretty cool people on here that I'd like to keep in contact with.

I tend to delete after a month too because I figure I may not have seen a post about vacation and I don't know many people who vacation for more than a month. Besides, I am in it to win it!
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    oh and not sure why the rest of my response was blank but yes I think I will always use this site to keep myself accountable!
  • TwtyMami35
    Options
    I've given up logging my food for the most part. Some days I do, some days I don't. I've been maintaining about the same weight for almost a year now.

But I still log into the site daily. I think I'm around 515 days in a row.

I do deactivate no-shows after about a week or three.

And you look MARVELOUS!!!!! 515 days is outstanding!!!!!
  • lizzus
    lizzus Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree that we probably can't depend on it forEVER, but I have no plans to stop logging any time soon! I haven't learned all the skills I need yet to be successful without being held accountable for everything that I put in my mouth. ;) I haven't deleted anyone but I can see why you would and don't see any issues with it. :)
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I try and contact them to see if they respond and I don't plan on leaving mfp anytime soon.
  • terry_mtb
    terry_mtb Posts: 45
    Options
    I have grown to love my friends and when they have not signed on for awhile..I usually think I hope they are ok..You never know. I dont think of my friends as quitters on here, but at times life throws you a hardball and you cant get on. Sick, hospital, death..morbid maybe but that is life...me I will not leave even when I reach my goal. I have pretty much gave up facebook.
    Here perfect strangers seem to get where you are more than family..the days you dont want to get up or move...MFP is until I expire.