Diet sodas. Yes or No?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Ingredients in Eggo Nutri Grain Waffles:

WATER, ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID), WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, VEGETABLE OIL (SOYBEAN AND PALM OIL), EGG WHITES, SUGAR, WHEAT BRAN, DEXTROSE, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF LEAVENING (BAKING SODA, SODIUM ALUMINUM PHOSPHATE, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), MODIFIED CORN STARCH, SALT, CALCIUM CARBONATE, DRIED BLUEBERRIES, APPLE FIBER, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, MALTODEXTRIN, CELLULOSE GUM, MALT FLAVORING, CITRIC ACID, WHEY, SOY LECITHIN, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, REDUCED IRON, NIACINAMIDE, BLUE #2 LAKE, RED #40 LAKE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B12

Um, hello?? I think it's funny that people who bash soda or diet soda because of the "chemicals" would have this in their diary! This is just one example. Saw SO many more hypocritical diaries, lol!

I will have my one Pepsi One a day, thank you very much! Hasn't stopped my loss at all. :)

Your ability to stalk people on here is amazing. Not impressed.
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I will have one once in a while but I no longer really like the taste of any soda.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweetners have been associated with cancer and other health issues.

No, they haven't.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options

Diet sodas mimic something sweet. This causes the body to produce insulin.

This is not true.
  • carld256
    Options
    I hate this topic because nobody is ever going to agree.

We don't have to agree. But when there's a choice between science and made up internet fear mongering, I'll stick with science.

Edit: I meant stick not stack :embarassed:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    I hate this topic because nobody is ever going to agree.

We don't have to agree. But when there's a choice between science and made up internet fear mongering, I'll stack with science.
    This. People like to take a side that they think has their best interests, but science doesn't take sides. It just gives you the correct information when something like this topic with various opinions come up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kornmaiden
    kornmaiden Posts: 109
    Options
    I try not to have them but do indulge once in a while.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I believe you and I are saying the same thing.

Quite possibly. I probably misunderstood your point. In any case, for me there is a definite relationship for me between eating/drinking sugary-tasting things and EXPECTING sugary tasting things. If I eat/drink them less often, I enjoy them more when I have them and I don't feel the need to have them all the time.
    How did you get heavy in the first place? Was it by over indulging your sweet tooth?

No, not as such. I used to work a very physically demanding job and was a tad overweight but not terribly bad. Then I took a desk job and, oopsie, neglected to take into account that sitting on my *kitten* all day might mean a "slight" reduction in my caloric intake was in order. Two steak bombs and two sodas for lunch works out well when you're lifting 100-pound items and carrying them around all day. When your most strenuous exercise of the day is walking 1/4 mile down the street to order said steak bombs? Yeah, not so much. I inflated like a bike tire attached to a CO2 cartridge.

However, once I started getting heavier and started noticing it, sugary comfort foods and a marked increase of soda consumption exacerbated the effect. And it really affected my ability to lose weight when I started out because the constant sugary taste fed into my cravings.

We're not all the same, and I'm sure there are people who can handle 5 diet sodas a day and still have no problems with macronutrient balance. I'm not one of them - I taste sugar and I crave carbs, the lighter and emptier the better.
  • carld256
    Options
    I got fat by overindulging my "food tooth".
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    If it's 'drink regular soda with tons of calories or diet without the cals' then, YES! I drink tons of sugar free koolaid since it was invented (yep I'm old! lol), it hasn't killed me yet and I've lost 35lbs since Jan. all while drinking diet drinks.

I think there are a lot of other things out there that are worse for your health than diet drinks.

This^ I wouldn't suggest drinking a ton of them, but I drink 1-2 a day with a ton of water..Not dead yet. Some things just don't go well with water. I'll take a diet coke with my tacos, and drink water the rest of the day. Working well so far I think! I like carbonated water too, love it actually, but I can't get it here. Where does everyone else get it?
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Not to seem random but I'm always curious if any of the people on these threads that shun diet pop or artificial sweetners are smokers? Just a curiosity of mine.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I believe you and I are saying the same thing.

Quite possibly. I probably misunderstood your point. In any case, for me there is a definite relationship for me between eating/drinking sugary-tasting things and EXPECTING sugary tasting things. If I eat/drink them less often, I enjoy them more when I have them and I don't feel the need to have them all the time.
    How did you get heavy in the first place? Was it by over indulging your sweet tooth?

No, not as such. I used to work a very physically demanding job and was a tad overweight but not terribly bad. Then I took a desk job and, oopsie, neglected to take into account that sitting on my *kitten* all day might mean a "slight" reduction in my caloric intake was in order. Two steak bombs and two sodas for lunch works out well when you're lifting 100-pound items and carrying them around all day. When your most strenuous exercise of the day is walking 1/4 mile down the street to order said steak bombs? Yeah, not so much. I inflated like a bike tire attached to a CO2 cartridge.

However, once I started getting heavier and started noticing it, sugary comfort foods and a marked increase of soda consumption exacerbated the effect. And it really affected my ability to lose weight when I started out because the constant sugary taste fed into my cravings.

We're not all the same, and I'm sure there are people who can handle 5 diet sodas a day and still have no problems with macronutrient balance. I'm not one of them - I taste sugar and I crave carbs, the lighter and emptier the better.

That was pretty much my story except it was athletics, injury and then beer without the athletics. I agree that we are all different in respect to our triggers. The theory I was stating was that perhaps the people that tend to crave sugar after eating artificial sweeteners probably already had a sweet tooth in the first place. While those claiming that it does not drive them to eat more perhaps did not have so much of a sweet tooth, such as myself.