Almond milk vs. Soy Milk vs. Rice Milk...

Options

Replies

• mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    What about real milk? That's all I drink.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Also, can you use all of the above in baking/cooking as you would moo cow milk? That, I haven't tried.

you can, sort of, it dosent tast right tho
    in my opinon any way
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options

its yummie
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    since soy causes your body to produce estrogen, too much of it can be harmful for your hormone balance. so i drink almond almost exclusively (plus i think it's SO much better). the original silk kind is already naturally sweet, so it's better to avoid the sugar and drink that.
  • kutterba
    kutterba Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I like the low fat vanilla rice milk on my cereal, but there's no calcium so need to take a supplement. I use the original Silk coconut for cooking.
    I quit drinking milk at 25 and - what a surprise! - my skin totally cleared up! Unfortunately, when you stop drinking milk, you lose the enzymes to digest it. Interestingly enough, I can still eat small amounts of cheese, yogurt or sour cream w/o adverse effects, but not regular milk or half & half. and I always use butter, not margarine. There is virtually no lactose in butter.
    :smile: Every body is different, keep trying new stuff to see what works best for you.
  • southernpurplevegan
    southernpurplevegan Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I persoanlly like Almond Milk it's pretty good especially Silk's PureAlmond Brand that line seems to taste pretty good. I also love Coconut Milk and Oat Milk which these are good for coffee. As for Soy Milk it's a big NO NO for me I throw it up as soon as I drink it. I haven't tired Rice Milk yet.
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I typically drink cow milk, but I also drink rice milk because I like the taste of it.
  • rkk1
    rkk1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Soymilk is a good source of protein... I have seen as much as 9 grams of protein per cup, for unsweetened plain soymilk. I use this often. On the other hand, it may not be as good of a choice for someone who is allergic to soy or has thyroid conditions.

Rice milk is less allergenic than soy, but most sweetened rice milk has a lot more calories than almond milk.

Coconut milk is a good source of medium chain fatty acids, which are good for you. I think the refrigerated coconut milk is healthier than canned, as the canned is much higher in fat and not as fresh.

There is also hempmilk as well, which is probably one of the healthiest options, and it has a good omega 3-6-9 balance.

I personally use a combo of soymilk, almondmilk, coconut milk, and hempmilk. (I get all of these in the plain version either unsweetened, or low sweetened. Often I throw them in cereal or in smoothies, so the extra sweetness is not needed.) The soymilk is for times when I want to up my protein, the almond milk is for when I want to keep my calories lower, the coconut milk is to throw in some healthier fats (or add it to a savory dish), and the hempmilk is also when I want some healthy fats with a bit of protein thrown in as well.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of rice milk. I like almond and soy though, especially the Silk brand.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Cause I'm lactose intolerant as eluded to in the OP ;-)
  • lilnstrong
    lilnstrong Posts: 3
    Options
    I can't tolerate any animal milk or I would absolutely drink it. So, we use almond or coconut milk for all cooking and baking. We use the plain unsweetened for anything savory and the sweetened/ vanilla for baking. They always turn out great.
    The rice milk had a very mild taste but is not nearly as nutritious as the almond/ coconut. Also, as others have said, because of the effects of soy on hormone production, we generally stay away from it. For butter we use earth balance. It doesn't contain any lactose or whey.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I had no clue about the soy/estrogen connection... off to google ;-)
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I do drink some of the good ol' moo cow here and there, but I also have to watch my weight and can't go moo cow every time I want a glass of milk, so I have a carton of Silk True Almond unsweetened original for drinking, and it's only 30 calories a cup. (That's in Canada, 35 cals in the States I think.) I've had soy before and it's alright, but it has a tendency to leave a weird aftertaste and sometimes it curdles and the curds gather at the bottom of the glass (eccchh!!!) and I don't want cheese in my glass. I haven't tried rice milk, but I'm sure it's just as good as almond milk. Almond milk's good on cereal and oatmeal too, tried it.
  • sophiathedss
    sophiathedss Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    unsweeetened almond milk...for everything~ love it:love:
  • HodderAL
    HodderAL Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    We have dairy allergies and lactose intolerance in my household, so we've been trying different kinds of milk. My children can't tell the difference between regular cow's milk and Natura Soy Milk (original).

I'd like to try SO Delicious Cocunut Milk, but I can't find anywhere locally that carry it :( I even asked a local grocery store, and they said they can't order it. Oh well.

Right now I'm drinking a mix of Almond Breeze and Natura Soy Milk, depending on what I'm in the mood for. Natura has Iron, Protein, Calcium and other good things (B12, etc). It's higher in calories than Almond Breeze (1 cup of Almond Breeze is 40 calories while 1 cup of Natura is 100 calories). But Almond Breeze is higher in sodium, so it depends on where my macros are.

I've substituted both in recipes and haven't had any problems.
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    I like soy (Silk brand) on my Kashi cereal. Only use soy that is not GMO (genetically modified). I like that it has more protein. Almond milk is very good also.
  • toomuchsweetness
    toomuchsweetness Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    soy give me a gross after taste, it's to thick and way to sweet...I haven't tried rice milk though...i'm stuck on almond breeze 60 calories

loooooooooove it... makes bran cereal yummy
  • choirgirl1130
    choirgirl1130 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i have been using recently silk light vanilla soy...replaced my creamer in my coffee...enjoy it :0)
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I like soy milk, coconut milk, and rice milk. Plain. Vanilla is always way too sweet for milk, imo.
  • jaimemariel
    jaimemariel Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Almond milk, unsweetened.

I try to limit soy so no soy milk and rice milk has the consistency of water.

Coconut milk is also great. Very flavorful but high in saturated fat.