Let's define "curvy" because I'm confused

Options
victoria4321
victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
Okay, so it doesn't matter if you're a size 0 or size 16 to my understanding. Curvy is pretty much having a defined waist, hips, and breasts. Pretty much having feminine curves in the right places. If you're curvy you won't lose your curves just because you lost weight. You also won't gain new curves just because you put on 50lbs.

That's my understanding of how a curvy women looks. If I'm just confused about it all, maybe someone else can enlighten me

Replies

• _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Nice booty? All that jelly and no toast?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    how or why does it matter how others define it?

it doesnt matter.
  • watchtheworld
    Options
    I would call myself curvy because my body is very "in and out". Pre-stepping up my fitness, my bust was 100 cm, my waist 68 cm and my hips 100 cm. My thighs narrow above my knees and my calves widen below my knees, and then into small ankles. Does that make sense? Mesomorphic / hourglass.

I agree completely that anyone whose bodies are also "in and out" - difference between calves and ankles, waist and hips, etc - is curvy.

In popular online usage however, curvy seems to be a polite way of saying overweight/obese, no matter whether the overweight/obese person has "curves" or not. So I think there's a difference between "correct" and "commonly used"
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    OP I agree that is also my definition of curvy. Where the waist is defined I'd also call it hourglass. And you can be curvy at any size and it is different to being "big". I for example am not curvy. The ratio of my waist and hips are too similar and no matter how much weight I put on this ratio doesn't change more than a little. The closest I can come to curvy is to build up my butt and upper body in an attempt to give a curvier illusion. Curves or no curves is genetic and not weight related.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    A line that deviates from straightness in a smooth, continuous fashion.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    In proportion to your frame: big boobs, big butt, wide hips.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I would call myself curvy because my body is very "in and out". Pre-stepping up my fitness, my bust was 100 cm, my waist 68 cm and my hips 100 cm. My thighs narrow above my knees and my calves widen below my knees, and then into small ankles. Does that make sense? Mesomorphic / hourglass.

I agree completely that anyone whose bodies are also "in and out" - difference between calves and ankles, waist and hips, etc - is curvy.

In popular online usage however, curvy seems to be a polite way of saying overweight/obese, no matter whether the overweight/obese person has "curves" or not. So I think there's a difference between "correct" and "commonly used"

This...particularly the last part.

The waist is the critical thing though.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    It drives me crazy when "round" women describe themselves as "curvy". Sure, "round" has a "curve" to it, but "curvy" as a body type is definitely more like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEeBr8p9n4bfo8lYgRgwv7Gd2f3PvehZA1Gh5Sw9hH6ENORgTB

than this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQx7gfjDfFa-mgLAYwZQZvAUXuSTiFzysaeMOGlNCz_rIlaWWQR

-Proudly Curvy 44-32-44 :smile:
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    i always thought "curvy" was "Trophy Code"* for a bigger woman, just like "stalky" is Trophy Code for a short, thick guy (I am "stalky")?

*Trophy Code - this is a phrase i came up with to describe words that sound positive to not hurt someone's self esteem, but still mean something generally negative - like when kids get a smaller "trophy" in competition now, despite losing (if score is even kept at all).
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    i always thought "curvy" was "Trophy Code"* for a bigger woman, just like "stalky" is Trophy Code for a short, thick guy (I am "stalky")?

*Trophy Code - this is a phrase i came up with to describe words that sound positive to not hurt someone's self esteem, but still mean something generally negative - like when kids get a smaller "trophy" in competition now, despite losing (if score is even kept at all).

I agree...that's part of the old definition that was typical when I was growing up. You had real curvy (hips/waist...shape)...then you had 'polite' curvy. The problem is...'polite' curvy has gotten out of hand (thanks clothing industry...your marketing gimmick worked)...and now means anyone plus sized...along with often being used to slight women who AREN'T plus sized.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I think of a coca cola bottle. I don't think it's relative of size, if you have that shape. I am a size 16 in my pants now, wearing a size L or 12 shirt and I get called curvy all the time because my waist is much smaller than my hips.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I think of myself as curvy. Curvy just mean curves, plain and simple. They can be skinny curves or thick curves IMO. Not to be confused with rolls. hehe
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Real curvy = waist proportionally smaller than hips & underbust (~70%) and not muscular (> 20% BF)
    Fake curvy = self-esteem way of saying "fat"
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Let's see some photos of your definition of curvy :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I think of curvy as any shape where the boobs and/or hips are prominent. Sofia Vegara is a curvy hourglass. JLo is a curvy pear. Sherri Shepherd is top-heavy curvy.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Curves are just that.....curves, no matter what size you are. It is better to have vertical curves rather than horizonal ones! :laugh:
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    curvy = luv handles , polite for fat
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    A line that deviates from straightness in a smooth, continuous fashion.

^^^ This. That was me before I gained a little weight and dropped body fat. Since I dropped body fat, I now have curves that I've never had before. Oddly enough, I'm also healthier than I've ever been before, too. :bigsmile:
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    curvy = luv handles , polite for fat

not necesarily true
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I don't use curvy to decribe myself anymore, even though I am text book hour glass. Over weight women have taken curvy to describe their bodies. so now curvy means fat
This discussion has been closed.