Let's define "curvy" because I'm confused

Options

Replies

• yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Okay, so it doesn't matter if you're a size 0 or size 16 to my understanding. Curvy is pretty much having a defined waist, hips, and breasts. Pretty much having feminine curves in the right places. If you're curvy you won't lose your curves just because you lost weight. You also won't gain new curves just because you put on 50lbs.

That's my understanding of how a curvy women looks. If I'm just confused about it all, maybe someone else can enlighten me

Not in my world.

Curvy is often times used by women who can't admit they're overweight.

Right. They ruined it for us true curvy gals. So my goal has become to describe myself as "Athletic" instead :bigsmile:
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I would call myself curvy because my body is very "in and out". Pre-stepping up my fitness, my bust was 100 cm, my waist 68 cm and my hips 100 cm. My thighs narrow above my knees and my calves widen below my knees, and then into small ankles. Does that make sense? Mesomorphic / hourglass.

I agree completely that anyone whose bodies are also "in and out" - difference between calves and ankles, waist and hips, etc - is curvy.

In popular online usage however, curvy seems to be a polite way of saying overweight/obese, no matter whether the overweight/obese person has "curves" or not. So I think there's a difference between "correct" and "commonly used"

I agree with this !
  • kikokateyy
    kikokateyy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Okay, so it doesn't matter if you're a size 0 or size 16 to my understanding. Curvy is pretty much having a defined waist, hips, and breasts. Pretty much having feminine curves in the right places. If you're curvy you won't lose your curves just because you lost weight. You also won't gain new curves just because you put on 50lbs.

That's my understanding of how a curvy women looks. If I'm just confused about it all, maybe someone else can enlighten me

Exactly :smile: . I am 48-37-51. I'm pretty sure thats curvy haha
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    haha! I like this thread...

"Fat" females often call themselves curvy when, lets just face it, they're fat. Cruves look like CURVES. Even when I was at my heaviest, I wasn't curvy, just round and FAT.

Even now, im not curvy. Im straight, I wish I could change that with my weight loss, but I can't.

Our bodies are generally shaped the same with/without those extra pounds. There are skinny curves, athletic curves, healthy curves and fuller curves.

curves are CURVES. There, thats my 2 cents! :flowerforyou:
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Real curvy = waist proportionally smaller than hips & underbust (~70%) and not muscular (> 20% BF)
    Fake curvy = self-esteem way of saying "fat"

lol! and agree!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I saw the movie "Inglourious Basterds" on TV the other day. I read some reviews and was astonished that a review described one of the actors, Mélanie Laurent, as "curvy." Apparently having recognizable woman parts now qualifies you as curvy.

http://media.onsugar.com/files/2011/04/14/2/1546/15462711/f9/melanie-laurent-feet-5.jpg
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    Real curvy = waist proportionally smaller than hips & underbust (~70%) and not muscular (> 20% BF)
    Fake curvy = self-esteem way of saying "fat"

lol! and agree!

Good compressed definition. I agree, too.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    It drives me crazy when "round" women describe themselves as "curvy". Sure, "round" has a "curve" to it, but "curvy" as a body type is definitely more like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEeBr8p9n4bfo8lYgRgwv7Gd2f3PvehZA1Gh5Sw9hH6ENORgTB

than this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQx7gfjDfFa-mgLAYwZQZvAUXuSTiFzysaeMOGlNCz_rIlaWWQR

-Proudly Curvy 44-32-44 :smile:

Funny! :laugh: But VERY true... I WISH I could say I am "proudly curvy, but when my waist is a mere 2" smaller then my hips, that cant be so. :frown:
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I saw the movie "Inglourious Basterds" on TV the other day. I read some reviews and was astonished that a review described one of the actors, Mélanie Laurent, as "curvy." Apparently having recognizable woman parts now qualifies you as curvy.

http://media.onsugar.com/files/2011/04/14/2/1546/15462711/f9/melanie-laurent-feet-5.jpg

Actually, that IS the definition of curvy. Not fat.
  • somuchsolittle
    Options
    I do think that "curvy" can be used to describe women when we are chunkier.

But, I do think thin women can be curvy too to an extent. For example, I think that I have a "ruler" shape, but because I have a bubble butt, I look curvy in a profile picture. My measurements will say hourglass...but again, that is not because my waist goes in and my hips go out...my hip measurements are what they are because of my bubble butt...not hips.

When I think of a curvy woman, I do think of a woman whose waist does go in by more than 10 inches...not straight up and down, but the waist gets quite a bit smaller than her hips.

For example: 34-24-34 Does not seem or look curvy to me. But, 36-24-36...that woman will look curvier because he waist is a lot smaller than her breasts and hips.

I agree with this. I've always thought it had more to do with waist to hip ratio than anything, and i've seen people who are "fat" who fit the definition as much as people who are thinner, so. yes.

Lots of body shaming going on here, though. geez.
  • nasiasflyingcircus
    Options
    Curvy is a shape not a size. Of course you can be skinn/slim and curvy! Although fat has been linked with the term "curvy"...

Candice Swanepoel IS curvy:

http://www1.pictures.stylebistro.com/bg/Candice+Swanepoel+Pajamas+Intimates+Lingerie+SU1XRMuTUWRl.jpg

Adriana Lima on the other hand, isn't:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WK36ArsDkOE/Tt4_0CoJciI/AAAAAAAAC0Q/YIYot_WCTiw/s1600/11828_Adriana_Lima_2011_VS_Fashion_Show_J0001_064_122_589lo.jpg
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I do think that "curvy" can be used to describe women when we are chunkier.

But, I do think thin women can be curvy too to an extent. For example, I think that I have a "ruler" shape, but because I have a bubble butt, I look curvy in a profile picture. My measurements will say hourglass...but again, that is not because my waist goes in and my hips go out...my hip measurements are what they are because of my bubble butt...not hips.

When I think of a curvy woman, I do think of a woman whose waist does go in by more than 10 inches...not straight up and down, but the waist gets quite a bit smaller than her hips.

For example: 34-24-34 Does not seem or look curvy to me. But, 36-24-36...that woman will look curvier because he waist is a lot smaller than her breasts and hips.

I agree with this. I've always thought it had more to do with waist to hip ratio than anything, and i've seen people who are "fat" who fit the definition as much as people who are thinner, so. yes.

Lots of body shaming going on here, though. geez.

Yeah it wasnt meant to piss people off. Not everyone has to be curvy.
  • mfpcopine
    Options

Really? She's obviously not overweight, but curvy? Interesting.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

melanie-laurent-feet-5.jpg

Really? She's obviously not overweight, but curvy? Interesting.

I wouldn't consider her curvy...but again, I'll be honest...I only consider 1 out of 5 women on this board who call themselves curvy...to actually be curvy.

THIS is what curvy used to mean...before it was hijacked:

Salma-Hayek---From-Dusk-til-Dawn-Pr.jpg

1533370-salma_hayek_as__psylocke.jpg

What it means now...who knows. But in my eyes...that's still the dead center of the real definition.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Lets not and let everyone's perceptions be their own. No one has the right to "define" a look, but the person looking. And invariably, it will be different than your own.
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    In proportion to your frame: big boobs, big butt, wide hips.

^^^^^^^^^I Like this description.....only thing I would add on is small waist.....
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I've seen some smaller women with great curves and some larger women with no shape. I don't consider myself curvy but hippy- LOL.
  • Kenhabes
    Kenhabes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Wait, "curvy" now means "fat"? What the f**k is wrong with people?

Curvy is curvy is curvy.
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    when i think of curves these are the women in hollywood that pop in my mind...scarlett johansen, jessica biel, meghan good, selma hayek, etc.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Jessica Rabbit.
This discussion has been closed.