Let's define "curvy" because I'm confused

Options

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Wait, "curvy" now means "fat"? What the f**k is wrong with people?

Curvy is curvy is curvy.

No...I think it still means the same thing...it's just that the clothing industry has latched onto it as a polite way to describe overweight women (and parents often tell their kids the same thing growing up...if they're heavy). Unfortunately it stuck.

See, here's the thing. I'm fat (right now). I'm not built, or buff, ot stocky, or any other polite term for describing a guy who is larger in various ways than others (my favorite self delusion for guys like this is 'bulking'). I'm probably 25% bodyfat at the moment...and while I'm still muscular overall...it doesn't change the fact that I am overweight, and more importantly, at a bodyfat I am not happy with.

When I'm back down to sub 19%...then I'll be happy to be called built, or buff, or stocky...or whatever else. Till then...fat gets the nod. Reality is reality...dressing it up for ourselves doesn't change it a bit...and just sets us up for disspointment and hurt in the long run.
    when i think of curves these are the women in hollywood that pop in my mind...scarlett johansen, jessica biel, meghan good, selma hayek, etc.

Exactly.
  • Ohmydaze
    Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    My measurements are 34 -25 - 36.

An hourglass figure is defined as a figure where the waist is more than 9in smaller than the bust and hips. So even though I'm pretty small in the boob department, I'm an hourglass (although leaning towards pear when I don't work out)

I have a fairly toned, slim but certainly curvy figure. I go in a lot at the waist, with round hips and a nice *kitten*. Bigger boobs would be nice, but I'm happy with what I have :)
  • kymillion
    kymillion Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    what did you call me..?

ech .. so lemme get this straight .. I have large breasts a smaller waist and a larger back side.. I definitely need to lose weight 10 really unwanted pounds and twenty or so so I can feel top notch again.. but when I finally do I will be referred to as curvy ..

which means no matter what I am fat? F#@K..? seriously. . . . ?
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I think there are actually 3 definitions of curvy floating around:

- Some people consider curvy to be ample T + A, whether the woman has a smaller waist or not. This definition excludes curvy women with smaller assets, but who still possess the hip-to-waist ratio of a classic hourglass figure (Melanie Laurent, i guess)
    - Some people use curvy as a euphemism for being fat
    - Some people consider curvy is when the waist is a certain number of inches smaller (usually 10+ I think) than the hips, no matter if a person is underweight, overweight or anywhere in between. I think this is the correct definition. Boobs + butt do not automatically = curvy, nor does being overweight.

I also think that for someone with an hourglass/pear shaped figure, being very overweight or underweight/low BF may give them less of a defined waist than if they were at a healthy weight, as well.

/two cents.
  • Chantal34
    Chantal34 Posts: 128
    Options
    Im 31-26-40 so for the mist part I am a curvy woman. Just wish I could gain back some boobage...:grumble:
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Substantially smaller waist measurement than hip and/or bust measurements.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    I think there are actually 3 definitions of curvy floating around:

- Some people consider curvy to be ample T + A, whether the woman has a smaller waist or not. This definition excludes curvy women with smaller assets, but who still possess the hip-to-waist ratio of a classic hourglass figure (Melanie Laurent, i guess)
    - Some people use curvy as a euphemism for being fat
    - Some people consider curvy is when the waist is a certain number of inches smaller (usually 10+ I think) than the hips, no matter if a person is underweight, overweight or anywhere in between. I think this is the correct definition. Boobs + butt do not automatically = curvy, nor does being overweight.

I also think that for someone with an hourglass/pear shaped figure, being very overweight or underweight/low BF may give them less of a defined waist than if they were at a healthy weight, as well.

/two cents.

I agree with you...pretty much completely.
    what did you call me..?

ech .. so lemme get this straight .. I have large breasts a smaller waist and a larger back side.. I definitely need to lose weight 10 really unwanted pounds and twenty or so so I can feel top notch again.. but when I finally do I will be referred to as curvy ..

which means no matter what I am fat? F#@K..? seriously. . . . ?

You lost me here...what did who call you? And in my opinion, curvy does NOT mean fat...its the new meaning people have latched onto though...as was mentioned above.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I've found, that when I am at my goal weight, I look the most "curvy" because I actually get a waist and my booty looks big in comparison to the rest of my body. My chest stays fairly good sized as well. I am apple when I am overweight and certainly not "curvy." I look like a bowling ball.

So to me, "overweight" =/= curvy.

However, some women are able to pull off "overweight" and look awesome. They just pack their weight in their hips and bust and little on their waist. For example, Christina Hendricks.

Honestly, I think it depends on the person's body type.

Some people will always be "hourglass" some people have to work to have that figure.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Nice booty? All that jelly and no toast?

:laugh: what the heck is toast?
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I don't really consider "Curvy" a body type like people like to.
    I consider it just any old adjective.. and I use the definition

Having many curves: "a curvy stretch of road".
    (esp. of a woman's figure) Shapely and voluptuous.

So, for me, curvy can be fat.. because your rolls can definitely look like a curvy stretch of road. Or it can be a sleek hourglass, or it can be a big old pair of boobies sitting on top of an otherwise slender girl. Or it can be a woman who just has curvy legs because her thighs are very shapely and taper well to her calves which are also shapely.. Or it can be... *goes on endlessly*

If we're discussing the shape "hourglass" obviously it's a bit more strict and does not include those with a less steep waist/hip ratio.

I'm a fat, curvy, hourglass.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Okay, so it doesn't matter if you're a size 0 or size 16 to my understanding. Curvy is pretty much having a defined waist, hips, and breasts. Pretty much having feminine curves in the right places. If you're curvy you won't lose your curves just because you lost weight. You also won't gain new curves just because you put on 50lbs.

That's my understanding of how a curvy women looks. If I'm just confused about it all, maybe someone else can enlighten me

Not in my world.

Curvy is often times used by women who can't admit they're overweight.

I agree with the OP, I am "overweight" and have never, will never be curvy.
  • TxAlpha
    TxAlpha Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    When I see a woman and the first thought I have is...."she has a nice shape"....that's curvy.....its the proportion.....not necessarily the size.......most of the time it when the woman's waist is smaller in ratio to the rest of her body.......
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    You're correct. I dont nderstand why some woman believe that if they lose weight they will lose their curves. Well, ur boobs & butt might shrink, but if ur not a ruler then u will always have curves. My curves have actually gotten better as I've lost weight. When I was fat, I hardly had any shape at all it seemed, but I can actually see my curves now. 35/29.5/38 is my measurements. I believe I'm an hourglass :)
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I think we can all agree then, that 'curvy' is a completely useless term to describe anyone these days. Personally I have never used it to describe myself or others because it is just so meaningless... I guess the term *could* apply to me given that I have a booty, proportionately small waist, reasonable bust-size....
  • Nataliaho
    Options
    this is my fave description... though many would probably disagree that this woman is 'curvy'...
    Curve1.jpg
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I think we can all agree then, that 'curvy' is a completely useless term to describe anyone these days. Personally I have never used it to describe myself or others because it is just so meaningless... I guess the term *could* apply to me given that I have a booty, proportionately small waist, reasonable bust-size....

All women are curvy unless they're a ruler. If you're an apple, ur upper body is bigger and curves into a smaller lower body. If you're a pear, ur upper body is small & curves to a bigger lower body. If your an house glass, you curve n2 ur small waist and back out to ur hips.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    this is my fave description... though many would probably disagree that this woman is 'curvy'...
    Curve1.jpg

Amen that's curvy!! You posted that before and I looked ALL effing over for it to make a point in another thread.

Love it :)
  • Nataliaho
    Options
    Curve1.jpg

Amen that's curvy!! You posted that before and I looked ALL effing over for it to make a point in another thread.

Love it :)

Same it's totally my inspiration pic!!
  • HisChild2011
    HisChild2011 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hmm...lemme think a sec. I've always liked curvy...even at my highest weight. I've also always had a waist significantly smaller than my hips. I also think Beyonce and JLo - I would also consider pre-weight loss JHud curvy. Me = 36/32/43; still a work in process but I like me curvy :)
This discussion has been closed.