Easy for you eat healthy! You don't have kids!

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Having children requires you to eat nothing but cake, as you'll be attending birthday parties.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Umm...sounds like an excuse to be lazy. Why can't her kids eat heathy?? Kids are survivors...if she puts veggies in front of them, they'll eat if they're hungry enough. Seriously...some people just boggle my mind!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Having children requires you to eat nothing but cake, as you'll be attending birthday parties.

Oh how I wish this were true! LOL
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I am a parent and that is ridiculous!!! In fact, having a child has made me want to eat healthier simply because i want to feed her healthy, and not make more than one kind of meal!! I've started eating more veggies and fruits simply because i have her around. I think that it can be a little more difficult and time consuming than those parents who give their kids food out of a box all day.. not to say that i dont do that some of the time, but for the most part, our daughter gets all natural, and homemade food.
  • jennt_22
    jennt_22 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My spidey-senses detect a typical excuse here. Don't worry about it.

^ Yes, just another excuse in my opinion... I don't have kids but plan on sticking to my healthy lifestyle once I do.... Just cause you have birthday parties to go to doesn't mean you need to eat pizza/cake - no one is force feeding her the 'un-healthy birthday party foods'. She could even bring her own snacks and such if she was serious about it. When I know I'm going to a party or somewhere with bad food I try to eat before or bring my own.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    So today my friend was asking my advice on eating healthier. She said, "I've only had reduced fat this and no fat these and I'm still hungry! How did you make yourself LIKE healthy food!?" I said, "well, eventually you'll realize that it's worth it to spend your calories on healthy food, rather than processed. I didn't make myself like food-I tried a lot of things from searching online and through my grocery store. Eventually, processed and restaurant foods stopped tasting so good and I became full off of less calories and better for me foods. Now i CRAVE vegetables and fruits"

THEN SHE SAID,

"WELL ITS EASY FOR YOU. YOU DON'T HAVE KIDS. It's not realistic for me to eat like this, I have birthday parties to go to."

That hurt my feelings because, I want to eventually have kids...and, I feel like she was kinding throwing that in as a cop out!

BUT! I'm open to YOUR opinions-parents or not?!

Just because you go to birthday parties doesn't mean you have to eat the whole cake.

She's making excuses.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    That's stupid.

I have a 5 year old. He eats what I eat (for the most part). We all eat healthy in our house...and guess what? We go to birthday parties, and have cake! And I drink beer sometimes! And maybe once a month, my kiddo gets a happy meal.

It's a cop-out. People do their children a disservice by not stocking the fridge and pantry with healthy foods.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I luv excuses and denial... I've used them all
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I've got two kids and while I don't always eat as great as I'd like but I feel that I do pretty good (feel free to check my diary). Just because you're going to a birthday party doesn't give you an excuse to eat crap. It's a reason but not an excuse. A little planning and the party doesn't even have to be an issue. This is a lifestyle change, not a diet, you need to be able to live your life not hide away for fear of temptation.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I think she's missing the point of trying to generally be healthy in order to be able to enjoy things.

I have 4 kids, and I try to eat healthy as much as I can. I choose my own breakfast everyday, I bring my own lunch to work everyday. Yes, sometimes the kids have activities that involve pizza, Dairy Queen, etc. And I choose to participate in order to be part of their lives. But I limit the quantities I eat, and also they are rarely surprises, so maybe I'll do some extra exercise that day, or save up some calories in the days leading up. You can be generally healthy and still enjoy the fun times and parties. But it's all about choices and has nothing to do with having kids.

This is a good point. Sometimes, I just go have an ice cream with them. I mean, what the point of life if all you ever eat is brocolli? You need to have fun too. All this hard work you do should be rewarded. And, there is something to sharing an ice cream or something with your kids. It doesn't mean you turn into a pig. It just means hav a small single scoop of vanilla, and that's it. Something like that. I eat cake at birthday parties. No big deal. I have a piece and that's it. I don't like frosting, so maybe that helps.I don't know.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Probably just using it as an excuse. If anything she should be eating healthier and teaching her kids to eat healthier so that they grow up healthy and making better food choices. Just my opinion. And like another poster put, it's not like she has a birthday everyday of the year. That was just a lame excuse. I do not have kids so I don't know what it's like to feed kids, but I was a kid once (duh) and what was served for dinner is what I ate. My mom or dad chose what we ate, we didn't. Don't feel bad, you're setting yourself up for healhty choices for food that you can pass on to your children when you are ready to have them :)
  • JPal5
    JPal5 Posts: 178
    Options
    I don't have children yet so maybe I don't have my facts straight. But surely as a parent you are the one to teach your children what to eat in the beginning? Surely they wont ask for or crave sweets/fast food if they arent given it? And when you do maybe make them understand that they are treats and should be treated as such? Or am I just being an ignorant moron?
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    thats the biggest load of crap ive ever heard, and ive had people tell me that also! they tell me that the only reason i workout as much as i do and eat the way i do is because i DONT have kids. are u serious? i nanny three kids, and these kids have been eating all organic, no preservtatives etc their whole life. maybe your friend shouldve started her kids on healthy foods from the get go!
  • MicheleVer2
    MicheleVer2 Posts: 76
    Options
    This excuse really upsets me too. I don't have kids but if I decide to have children one day, I am not going to suddenly start eating fast food every day.

What is so wrong with actually raising your children to eat right and exercise from birth? If they don't eat McDonald's every day they won't miss it. It's not the one cupcake they get in school that makes them fat, it's the crap their parents feed them every day.

I wish every day that my parents would have brought me up on a healthy diet and exercise instead of junk food and TV.

I feel bad for her kids if she is letting that excuse spoil healthy eating for her family.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    excuses, excuses.Kids like to eat junk....because they have been raised on it. I kow lots of people that eat healthy....and a party is a treat for them!!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Total copout. Lazy *kitten* excuse if you ask me. I eat healthy, so do my kids.. I still love birthday parties, and I have kids, nephews, nieces, friends and lots of birthday cake several times a year, but I'm not using it as an excuse to eat badly the remaining 350 days out of the year! Geesh!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I would have slapped the *kitten*!

Excuse me for not having kids to look after. Excuse me for having friends who like to go out to eat and happy hours and parties and so on.. excuse me for having a hot bf who likes to eat Taco Bell at 1am.
    And excuse me that to make a meal for just ME, I have to use the same amount of pans and almost the same amount of dishes/ bowls as a family of 3 because that's just how I get down.

Pshshs.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    The funny thing about kids. If they get hungry enough, they will eat what is put in front of them.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Comments like that=why America is fat.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Definitely an excuse. I still eat the occasional 'bad' food, but I'm under the mindset that if it fits within my daily calories, it's all good. What she may lack is willpower. Parties can come and go without you picking up a single cupcake if that's what you CHOOSE to do.