City planning to ban sale of oversized sweetened drinks

Options

Replies

• mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I don't think the govt (local or national) should regulate this kind of thing. Seems overkill.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I think I'm a libertarian at heart, because I will never think it's right to legally regulate things just because they're unhealthy. Especially if they're only unhealthy to the person consuming them. If people want to kill themselves slowly with sugar it's not my business. If they want to kill themselves fast with crack that's not my business, either.

Down with the nanny state.

But they aren't limiting how much you eat/drink - it just means that if you want two large drinks, you buy two large drinks. How is that restricting your liberty?

I agree with this too. If someone needs 32oz of *insert drink here*, they are "free" to order a second one (as per the article).

I'm not saying that I agree with bloomberg 100% (I think he's rather annoying actually) but I do think that there is absolutely nothing wrong with decreasing the portion sizes. I don't think people need to be policed, but portion sizes were not always so huge and there isn't a logical reason for them to remain that way.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    The thing is, we DO pay for their disability.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I think over sized sweetened drinks are disgusting. I also am baffled by people who consume too much of this crap. (Or any of it really)

I also feel that the beautiful thing about America is we have a choice as to what kind of life we live. So No I dont think any city,town or state has any business banning any food or drink.
  • Sindari
    Sindari Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm on the fence..yes people have the right to choose...however with the rise in obesity morbidity and mortality...the government does need to intervene somehow.
    I don't agree with a ban ..but something has got to give!

Something has got to give?!?! OMG its called self restraint and responsibility. It is NOT the governments job to nanny our *kitten*. We're giving up so many liberties to be "taken care of" by the government.

My god is accountability even in the dictionary anymore?
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    ...however with the rise in obesity morbidity and mortality...the government does need to intervene somehow.

I'm just really curious why people think the government has to intervene? Look at *anything* the government manages - seriously, at least I learn from the mistakes I make over time. I'll make my own mistakes, and not have the red tape and bureaucracy so I can quickly adjust when I learn a better way, thank you very much.
  • liftingheavy
    Options
    No one complained when they gradually went up, so... Bring them down. The corporations that sell this sugar are now making cups that are 52 ounces. For 99 cents at gas stations, full of Mountain Dew.

Remember when a bag of chips used to be fun sized? Now they are 99 cents and contain 5 servings and people eat the whole bag because it looks like a normal bag now.
  • LilacDreamer
    Options
    I'm on the fence..yes people have the right to choose...however with the rise in obesity morbidity and mortality...the government does need to intervene somehow.

Something has got to give?!?! OMG its called self restraint and responsibility. It is NOT the governments job to nanny our *kitten*. We're giving up so many liberties to be "taken care of" by the government.

There is no personal responsibility in this country. if there was we wouldn't be have such a large obesity percentage...
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm all for it. Before we increased these portion sizes, obesity was something that affected a minority of the population, and now it's the norm.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I think I'm a libertarian at heart, because I will never think it's right to legally regulate things just because they're unhealthy. Especially if they're only unhealthy to the person consuming them. If people want to kill themselves slowly with sugar it's not my business. If they want to kill themselves fast with crack that's not my business, either.

But they aren't limiting how much you eat/drink - it just means that if you want two large drinks, you buy two large drinks. How is that restricting your liberty?

In this case, they're limiting the businesses' freedom to decide what sizes they offer. Kind of like when they banned serving food with trans fats a few years ago. It restricts the vendor's freedom to sell what they want and let the consumer decide. If I, the consumer, want a small that's smaller than the one McDonald's (or wherever) offers, I can find another establishment that meets that desire. But other people who do want the supersize are still free to get it from McDonald's (or, again, wherever.) The beauty of competition. We don't need the government to regulate this. People will regulate it themselves. And if they don't, it's still none of the government's business how much sugar we put down our gullets.
  • LilacDreamer
    Options
    No one complained when they gradually went up, so... Bring them down. The corporations that sell this sugar are now making cups that are 52 ounces. For 99 cents at gas stations, full of Mountain Dew.

Remember when a bag of chips used to be fun sized? Now they are 99 cents and contain 5 servings and people eat the whole bag because it looks like a normal bag now.

yes, i remember buying a $.25 fun sized bag of chips that was 1 serving. they now sell a bag 4 or 5x the size for .99 and people think it's perfectly okay because it's there on the shelf and its smaller than the regular 5.5oz - 9oz bag. It obviously isn't, and a part of me wants to say that it's almost deceptive because they've increased the sizes of everything...but they've done it openly so, meh.
  • liftingheavy
    Options

There is no personal responsibility in this country. if there was we wouldn't be have such a large obesity percentage...

^^^This^^^ When left to our own devices, and presented with 48 ounces of soda vs, 8 ounces, we choose 48 ounces and buy one for the kids too.

Then, those who say this is not a govt issue complain about subsidizing the healthcare of people who make these choices. You can't have it both ways. Some things have to be regulated. Sad but true.
  • pudadough
    Options
    ...however with the rise in obesity morbidity and mortality...the government does need to intervene somehow.

I'm just really curious why people think the government has to intervene? Look at *anything* the government manages - seriously, at least I learn from the mistakes I make over time. I'll make my own mistakes, and not have the red tape and bureaucracy so I can quickly adjust when I learn a better way, thank you very much.

Exactly. Veterans hospitals and the beacon of efficiency that is the Postal Service...ugh.
  • migoi357
    migoi357 Posts: 173 Member
    Options

Absolutely, what she said...
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    No. Why a ban? It would just cost money to enforce, and its not going to make any difference at all. If a person wants to drink a bucket of soda at a time, they can just buy a few, or pick up a 2 liter. Put the money into public education to teach students and their parents why you shouldn't drink said bucket of soda instead.
  • pudadough
    Options

^^^This^^^ When left to our own devices, and presented with 48 ounces of soda vs, 8 ounces, we choose 48 ounces and buy one for the kids too.

Then, those who say this is not a govt issue complain about subsidizing the healthcare of people who make these choices. You can't have it both ways. Some things have to be regulated. Sad but true.

I'm not sure how complaining about government regulation and subsidizing other peoples' healthcare is inconsistent. Both situations call for a return to personal accountability. In the case of healthcare, if you do order those whoppers and belly busting drinks, DO NOT expect anyone else to pay for your bad choices. I pay for mine, you pay for yours and the government stays the hell out of it all. See? Completely consistent.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The thing is, we DO pay for their disability.

True. I also agree with what you said earlier about kids. At my high school, they decided to ban sodas in the drink machines, but they just replaced them with the "healthier option" of super-size bottled Gatorade. Now, not only are they still getting sugared up all day long, the portion sizes are huge - much larger than a can of Coke. I was so excited to hear that they were getting rid of the sodas, and so disappointed to find them replaced with something just as bad and then marketing it as healthy. :explode:
  • jayayach
    jayayach Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I can see both sides of the argument. I do feel that portion sizes served in restaurants have served to skew our view of what is really appropriate. However, I don't believe the government should ever be given the right to control anything like this.

What the government should be focusing on is why we aren't being educated on what is really appropriate to put into our bodies. When I was in school, no nutrition classes were offered. What the school fed us was too much for a kid and then they sold sodas and candy on top of that. Nothing wrong with selling it as long as the kids are aware of how it affects their bodies and parents are aware of how much their kids are eating. I didn't realize just how much and what I was eating until I had done serious damage to my body and became serious about getting healthy. Many parents these days are my age and probably didn't have any more education on it than I did, so they don't have the information to teach their kids.

The issue isn't that the serving sizes offered are too big, but that, as a country, most of us are unaware of what is really appropriate.
  • liftingheavy
    Options

Exactly. Veterans hospitals and the beacon of efficiency that is the Postal Service...ugh.

The government is not proposing to take over the oversized sweetened drink business, they are making changes to portion sizes.
  • pudadough
    Options

The government is not proposing to take over the oversized sweetened drink business, they are making changes to portion sizes.

Interfering with the businesses offerings at all is "taking over the business." Because the entrepreneur no longer has control over what they do in their establishment. If the government is able to regulate drink sizes and trans fats, what's to stop them from regulating that all restaurants must only serve vegan food or provide chopsticks exclusively in place of forks? It's a bad precedent all around.