How Hard Must You Work Out?

Options
rydanip
rydanip Posts: 62 Member
Hey Everyone,

Wanted some opinions on exercise and how "hard" you have to work out to see results. I have tried personal training and running and had a hard time sticking to both. I prefer less vigorous exercise like yoga, walking, swimming/water aerobics. I hate feeling like I am working out, I prefer to feel a bit more leisurely. Do you think it matters how vigorous you are working out in order to see results?

Also do you guys have any suggestions on ways to change up my work out but keep it fun and not feel so much like a task?

Thanks, your feedback is appreciated!

'

Replies

• Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I do a few nice long hikes a few times a week. They keep me right in the perfect fat burning heart rate zone. Nice n easy, moderate pace with good incline. Its a beautiful way to get out and see some great scenery. I have been real lazy last few weeks though.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I typically get tunnel vision and feel like I am going to pass out at the end of every set. I enjoy it though... there is probably something wrong with me :P
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    The problem with this question is that there are several types of 'results'. Most people are after the tigher shapely body with low-moderate body fat. If we use this as an example, there are two aspects needed to acheive this:

The first rule applies to everyone, that is calories in vs calories out: burn more than you eat (and it doesn't matter at all how you burn them, walking, yoga , running etc). This will reduce the amount of fat on your body over time. The time that takes just depends on the difference in the balance of energy (larger calorie defecit means quicker loss) - there are exceptions with a slowing of metabolic rates over long periods of maintaining large caloric deficits etc, but that's for another day.

The second aspect is the shape, firmness (or the dreaded word tone). This can only be acheived through resistance training - something that causes some level of damage to the muscles (eg microtears) that requires them to be repaired and grow stronger. Lifting weights is the best way to acheive this.

Hope that helps.
  • run2jeepn
    run2jeepn Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but it's sounding a little Lazy. If you want to see results from workouts.... You have to Work for it... Hell it's even called "WORKING OUT"... You have to put the work in.. No way around it. You need to build a solid base. Once you have that and are closer to your goal. You can back off some. But till then.. DO THE WORK... Sorry it sounds blunt.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    It's really about your goals. Certain exercises just won't give you certain benefits, health or looks wise.

However, I think everyone should stay active doing what they somewhat enjoy because that is what you will stick with in the long run!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone,

Wanted some opinions on exercise and how "hard" you have to work out to see results. I have tried personal training and running and had a hard time sticking to both. I prefer less vigorous exercise like yoga, walking, swimming/water aerobics. I hate feeling like I am working out, I prefer to feel a bit more leisurely. Do you think it matters how vigorous you are working out in order to see results?

Also do you guys have any suggestions on ways to change up my work out but keep it fun and not feel so much like a task?

Thanks, your feedback is appreciated!

'

how hard must you work out? guess that depends on how badly you want to change.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    The problem with this question is that there are several types of 'results'. Most people are after the tigher shapely body with low-moderate body fat. If we use this as an example, there are two aspects needed to acheive this:

The first rule applies to everyone, that is calories in vs calories out: burn more than you eat (and it doesn't matter at all how you burn them, walking, yoga , running etc). This will reduce the amount of fat on your body over time. The time that takes just depends on the difference in the balance of energy (larger calorie defecit means quicker loss) - there are exceptions with a slowing of metabolic rates over long periods of maintaining large caloric deficits etc, but that's for another day.

The second aspect is the shape, firmness (or the dreaded word tone). This can only be acheived through resistance training - something that causes some level of damage to the muscles (eg microtears) that requires them to be repaired and grow stronger. Lifting weights is the best way to acheive this.

Hope that helps.

Well said man...for sure.
    Sorry, but it's sounding a little Lazy. If you want to see results from workouts.... You have to Work for it... Hell it's even called "WORKING OUT"... You have to put the work in.. No way around it. You need to build a solid base. Once you have that and are closer to your goal. You can back off some. But till then.. DO THE WORK... Sorry it sounds blunt.

Yep, common sense...not so common (this wasn't directed at the OP...just a general statement!).
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

THIS.

Suck it up buttercup and bust your booty!
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Agree that it really depends on what 'results' you are after. You can lose weight with little or no exercise, that's a fact. Whether you will acheive the body you want is less certain and whether you will be siginificantly healthier as a result even less so.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Any motion is better than none at all. I do not endorse what I see some who come to our gym who comes and leisurely rides an exercise bike for like 20 minutes while reading a book... OK, I don't exactly know what she thinks she is accomplishing there... Now nothing wrong with diversion... I watch the news during my treadmill walk every time I go.. But I am doing a pace of 3.5-4.0 with intervals up to 15 on the machine... That being said, Exercise routines are really not everybody's bag of tea... That is fine... Try to find any type of activity that you enjoy doing... Walking, hiking, etc. keep a brisk pace. Basketball, Tennis with friends.. Things that you will be mentally engaged in while you are getting a good workout...
  • rydanip
    Options
    I'm openly admitting I don't like typical exercise. That doesnt mean I don't like physical activity but I hate calisthenics and running and the gym atmosphere although I have a gym membership and use it. I'm not lazy. I've lost 50 lbs pre MFP. But I haven't reached my goal yet because I haven't found an activity I can stick to long term. I prefer more relaxing exercises, just fact of life for me. Some people love the adrenaline they get from HIIT or running...I'm not that guy (or girl). So Its not an issue of laziness, I just don't like that type of exercise and I know I won't stick to.. lets say, HIIT or Jilian Michaels tapes because I don't enjoy them much at all.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what look you want. Resistance training is really important for keeping your bones strong. It's kind of addicting if you give it a chance and you will find it makes you stronger at your other activities. You only have to do resistance training 3 days a week to get a minimum benefit. You start off with smaller weights and find over time you usually want to pick up heavier weights. Both men and women need resistance training, the more of a habit you develop with it now the more you will have a better quality of life when you are older. I'm really glad I started it when I was young. At 51 years old I'm enjoying life physically more than anyone I know my age.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think that the best exercise for anybody is something that you enjoy and that you can stick to.
    You don't HAVE to go to the gym, lift weights or have a personal trainer, though those are great options for people who enjoy them and strength training is probably the best way to end up with a lean looking body.

But, if you like walking, swiming and yoga - that's great, go for it. They can definitely help with losing weight (though only if you watch your calorie intake too) and are great for your cardiovascular system and general health and fitness.

Be aware that your results will reflect what you are putting in - if you are working out at a lower intenstity you have to work for a longer time to burn the same amount of calories.
    But, even walking at a slow pace is going to burn more cals than sitting on the couch, don't use "I don't like vigorous exercise" as an excuse to do nothing!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I'm openly admitting I don't like typical exercise. That doesnt mean I don't like physical activity but I hate calisthenics and running and the gym atmosphere although I have a gym membership and use it. I'm not lazy. I've lost 50 lbs pre MFP. But I haven't reached my goal yet because I haven't found an activity I can stick to long term. I prefer more relaxing exercises, just fact of life for me. Some people love the adrenaline they get from HIIT or running...I'm not that guy (or girl). So Its not an issue of laziness, I just don't like that type of exercise and I know I won't stick it lets say, HIIT or Jilian Michaels tapes because I don't enjoy them much at all.

You gotta find something you enjoy doing and do that really really well. You don't have to run or do calisthenics at all. For me, my workout of choice is barbell training. I love doing it, so I stick with it, and I have gotten very good at it. I still do other things to supplement it since I believe cardio has a place in there to keep me fit, but I just do cardio about 20-30 mins 3x per week, which I don't think is unreasonable. I just plug in my iPod and jam through that time.

Don't give up. Just keep searching for something you enjoy.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I'm openly admitting I don't like typical exercise. That doesnt mean I don't like physical activity but I hate calisthenics and running and the gym atmosphere although I have a gym membership and use it. I'm not lazy. I've lost 50 lbs pre MFP. But I haven't reached my goal yet because I haven't found an activity I can stick to long term. I prefer more relaxing exercises, just fact of life for me. Some people love the adrenaline they get from HIIT or running...I'm not that guy (or girl). So Its not an issue of laziness, I just don't like that type of exercise and I know I won't stick it lets say, HIIT or Jilian Michaels tapes because I don't enjoy them much at all.

You gotta find something you enjoy doing and do that really really well. You don't have to run or do calisthenics at all. For me, my workout of choice is barbell training. I love doing it, so I stick with it, and I have gotten very good at it. I still do other things to supplement it since I believe cardio has a place in there to keep me fit, but I just do cardio about 20-30 mins 3x per week, which I don't think is unreasonable. I just plug in my iPod and jam through that time.

Excellent replies from both of you (and as always Miss Liz!).

OP, thank you for not getting defensive. It's so awesome to see people take the replies as they're meant...which is to be helpful, regardless of the implied tone. Props to you girl :).
  • DrJanet98
    DrJanet98 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The best exercise is the one you can stick with! If that's things that don't feel like working out to you, so be it.

If you want to feel like you're taking it easy, you might like interval training. You have very brief spurts of hard work, and then get to be lazy in between. You don't really do any of the intense parts long enough to get sick of them.

I'd recommend trying out lots of new things. Find a pilates class, a tai chi in the park group, or a belly-dancing school (some schools have classes specifically for those of us who are zaftig). Go to the gym and ask someone to show you how to use the various weight machines. Bring an iPod or a good book and see if the eliptical or ski machine works for you when you can do something fun while working out. If you try everything at least twice, then you might be surprised what ends up feeling like work and what doesn't! I took a weightlifting class in college and discovered I was good at it and sets were so short that I didn't really feel like I was "working out" nearly as much as I did running or swimming laps (and muscle, once you've built it, burns more calories even at rest).

Likewise Tae Kwon Do was a fun way to be active. Not only that, but it was the first time I had a PE-type-teacher who really *understood*. We were doing drills, and some people were breezing through it; I was having a really hard time, and eventually had to go sit down for a few minutes. Mr. Titlebaum came over and quietly told me how much he admired me, that I was working harder than anyone else in the class and he was really impressed. If only my PE teachers in high school had looked at things that way! Any class situation, the teacher and the other students are far, far more important than what the class is about. I did a water aerobics class with my mom with a teacher who was in her 80s and still had a dancer's figure; everyone socialized so much before and after class and had so much fun during that it was never a chore to go.

My favorite is still walking, and my four-legged training partner is very good at reminding me we need to work out! I've done three of the weekend-long breast cancer walks; I find knowing that there's a big challenge ahead gives me the incentive to stick with a program and put in the longer miles. I also took up geocaching, a game where you use a GPS (or Google Maps) to find a hidden cache or logbook, anywhere from off in the woods to inside a fencepost or bush. I'd find a place with a lot of caches and plot out a route that met my miles goal but took me past as many caches as I could. Whatever reason for walking works for you, just make sure you bring along plenty of water, even when it's not hot out!

Try lots of things, and if you're getting bored, try something completely new!
  • starlionblue
    Options
    As others have said, the most important thing about exercise is this: Find something you enjoy so that you WANT to go even if you are tired or grumpy, or the weather is bad, or you slept too little, or whatever else your brain will cook up as an excuse. In my experience people stop exercising because the incentive not to go is stronger than the incentive to go.

Once you are working out and doing stuff that you like, push yourself to the limit. Never hold back on any drill even if you know there's a long way to go in the session.

Having said that, you must to at least some resistance because it keeps the bones strong. But this doesn't mean you have to go to the gym.

For the record, I am not a fan of gyms, sports, or plain running. I go to "Boot Camp" classes. One hour, outdoors, with various trainers during the week. Very very varied. Fun people. Very hard work. This was finally the type of exercise that worked for me. I get annoyed if I can't go.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

this is all right. but I'd add that, sometimes, you just gotta do it anyway. don't like it? tough. your body will thank you later. some days I really, really don't want to go to the gym. I really don't want to get on that bike or rowing machine or jacobs ladder. but I do it because I need to.
  • _Ivian
    _Ivian Posts: 198
    Options
    I agree with the previous posts that you should do strength training to achieve a more tone, fit look but that doesn't mean you can't add other types of exercises to your routine and have to stick to weight lifting only. Have you tried Boot Camps? Or CrossFit? Pilates? HIIT? Or that new thing TRX training? Maybe you just need another trainer?

I like all sorts of exercises and enjoy the more "leisure" kind as you say every now and then like skating, playing sports, swimming, etc. But I know that to get the results I want, I need to work extremely hard and do all sorts of exercises that will help me get the look I'm going for; not just the types I like, unfortunately. :laugh:
  • rydanip
    Options
    The best exercise is the one you can stick with! If that's things that don't feel like working out to you, so be it.

If you want to feel like you're taking it easy, you might like interval training. You have very brief spurts of hard work, and then get to be lazy in between. You don't really do any of the intense parts long enough to get sick of them.

I'd recommend trying out lots of new things. Find a pilates class, a tai chi in the park group, or a belly-dancing school (some schools have classes specifically for those of us who are zaftig). Go to the gym and ask someone to show you how to use the various weight machines. Bring an iPod or a good book and see if the eliptical or ski machine works for you when you can do something fun while working out. If you try everything at least twice, then you might be surprised what ends up feeling like work and what doesn't! I took a weightlifting class in college and discovered I was good at it and sets were so short that I didn't really feel like I was "working out" nearly as much as I did running or swimming laps (and muscle, once you've built it, burns more calories even at rest).

Likewise Tae Kwon Do was a fun way to be active. Not only that, but it was the first time I had a PE-type-teacher who really *understood*. We were doing drills, and some people were breezing through it; I was having a really hard time, and eventually had to go sit down for a few minutes. Mr. Titlebaum came over and quietly told me how much he admired me, that I was working harder than anyone else in the class and he was really impressed. If only my PE teachers in high school had looked at things that way! Any class situation, the teacher and the other students are far, far more important than what the class is about. I did a water aerobics class with my mom with a teacher who was in her 80s and still had a dancer's figure; everyone socialized so much before and after class and had so much fun during that it was never a chore to go.

My favorite is still walking, and my four-legged training partner is very good at reminding me we need to work out! I've done three of the weekend-long breast cancer walks; I find knowing that there's a big challenge ahead gives me the incentive to stick with a program and put in the longer miles. I also took up geocaching, a game where you use a GPS (or Google Maps) to find a hidden cache or logbook, anywhere from off in the woods to inside a fencepost or bush. I'd find a place with a lot of caches and plot out a route that met my miles goal but took me past as many caches as I could. Whatever reason for walking works for you, just make sure you bring along plenty of water, even when it's not hot out!

Try lots of things, and if you're getting bored, try something completely new!

These are some GREAT ideas...Thanks a lot. I definitely wanna try Pilates and Water Aerobics this summer. Walking I love, I prefer it outdoors as opposed to a treadmill. Thanks. I need to try a bunch of different things. I actually don't mind strength training, but I feel a bit directionless as far as reps, and how often, when to increase, etc. Its all so confusing when to do strength and when to do cardio!