Should we stop calling people 'overweight'?

Flissbo
Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18262887

I was interested to read this article on the BBC news website. They suggest we get doctors and other public health professionals to stop using words such as "overweight" and "obese" as they think the terms have a negative impact on body image and self-esteem.

On the other hand, someone in the article points out "I don't want to make people feel bad, and appreciate some people may have problems with self-esteem, but when it comes to it, as a doctor, if you are too careful, you run the risk of people not understanding the health implications."

They go on to say that:

"It depends on who comments are being levelled at - to a class of children, where there will be a distribution of body sizes, it is important to know being overweight can lead to diabetes, but it is more of a psychological issue than a health issue - and children can be extremely cruel,"

For me, I can see both sides of the argument, but I think if people are putting their health at risk then the doctors should tell them in as simple way as possible, which probably would involve using the word overweight. It's then up to the individual what they decide to do with that info.

What does everyone else think? Anyone been in this position and if so did the choice of words used influence you at all?

Replies

• small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    I don't see a problem with using the terms "overweight" and "obese", so long as the measurements used to come to such conclusions aren't arbitrary and the person they're directed at is obviously overweight or obese due to excess amounts of fat. I.e. a doctor shouldn't tell someone they're overweight or obese because their BMI is quite high due to a lot of muscle mass as opposed to a lot of fat.

I think most people who have been called overweight or obese by a doctor know deep down that it is true, even if they're trying to deny it - people should be confronted by the fact that they are overweight or obese. I don't understand the political correctness surrounding those terms; yes it hurts when someone tells you that you're overweight, but you probably already know that yourself anyways.

Though, having said that, some allowances should be made for children - it's no use telling a child that they're fat/overweight/obese and then proceeding to do nothing to help them overcome that problem; children aren't really equipped to lose the weight themselves.
  • HLeAnn
    HLeAnn Posts: 261 Member
    Honestly, I don't know of a nicer way to put it... "Overweight" to me is not offensive. Especially if a medical professional is using the term regarding a person's health. For people to think the term is offensive, in my opinion, shows they are way too sensitive. The article suggests medical professionals use phrases with more of a "positive" connotation, like "suggesting patients get to a healthier weight," rather than outright telling the patient they are overweight...I guess I can see that, but where do we finally draw the line of being too careful with people's feelings? It seems ANYTHING anyone says anymore is bound to offend SOMEONE.
    Really, it comes down to the context. If you're some guy on the street telling me I'm overweight, then yeah, I will be offended. If you're my doctor, then no. My doctor is supposed to tell me these things.
  • Flissbo
    . My doctor is supposed to tell me these things.

Exactly!
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    I don't see the point in lying to people when it comes to weight. It can cause some serious health implications and sometimes it's the kick some people need to start losing weight. Sometimes hearing it from a doctor makes it 'real'.

I don't think it's wrong to call a person overweight if they quite obviously are, obviously if it's coming from a healthcare professional. If it's just someone trying purposely to hurt someone's feelings then I don't agree.

I think the UK is going mad, we're a bunch of whingers really that are too easily offended. Don't know if it's just me that thinks this but we're such a nanny state. I want out... lol
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    "Overweight" and "obese" are not offensive terms, they are what it's called when a person has too much weight. I can't think of a more concise term for being overweight, than "overweight".
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Yes.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    I'm sorry but I am overweight to the the point that I'm obese. I dont think there is any polite way of saying it and TBH I will say that I am fat. I dont like being fat and slowly doing something about it - especially as I know the health risks of being obese.

Yes many people do not want to 'hear' that they are overweight because they know they should do something about it. If Doctors dont tell them and they start having health problems because of the weight then what.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    agree we should keep using these terms by clinical measures at least. And for young children the terms should still stand but should be directed at the parents rather than the children as parents/carers need to take on board the health implications for their children. For older children then yes they should also here it from medical staff. It is the taunting and cruelness of other children and family members that casue the low self esteem, not the medical staff I expect!! If you don't make it clear that there are issues many people will continue to avoid dealing with them and will pass them off as big boned, puppy fat etc...
    I do think that the medical definition is not talking about a little bit of weight either and really only comes into play when there is a risk of health damage.
  • Flissbo
    I wish that when I was bigger a doctor would have got me to work out my BMI or shown me a weight chart. I knew I was on the heavy side but because I still looked "normal" compared to everyone else (I would suggest we now see overweight as the norm, or at least we don't notice it as much) I didn't realise how much extra weight I was carrying. Looking back, if a doctor had said that I should keep a check on it I would have listened. If they had used the word overweight I really would have listened really hard!!
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    I think it indicates an important risk factor that should be noticed, the same way you include genetic disposition, race, smoking, drinking, etc.

That said, as a ridiculously healthy overweight person I do not think my insurance premiums should go up. I work REALLY hard to be healthy and have a spectacularly hard time losing weight. However, in the civilian world, if I want to get certain things done they will cost me more because I am fat and it makes me sad. I know so many people who don't qualify as overweight who don't put any work into their health and eat horrible quantities of horrible foods, drink, smoke, and can barely walk up the stairs. :(

Sucks.
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Should we start calling McDonald's big mac fries and shake healthy. No
  • sttrinians
    sttrinians Posts: 94 Member
    NO! We ***** foot around too much with people, not allowed to say this, that and the other. Nanny state or what. If you're over your normal healthy weight you are overweight meaning over your healthy weight. It's not offensive it's a fact. Changing how the doctor tells you does not change the fact. If the doctor soft soaps you, you will lie to yourself and things will only get worse. I can think of 100's of examples where we have nannied adults and children and very few of the them have had positive results only the deterioration of our society. Everyone on here knows they are not at their ideal weight (overweight or obese) and have taken control of there lives and are doing something about it. It is hard, frustrating and very difficult, more for some than others but we are doing something about it, we have found that inner strength to change our lives and habits. We help each other and motivate each other. That poor girl in the UK who could not get out of bed was nannied by her parents, friends etc. Look at the results. Someone had to take the food to her bed as she couldn't move out of it. Who's fault is that????
    Sorry if this is not PC but I feel that as a country we all take the PC option and this is why Jeremy Clarkson has such a following, he says what everyone else is thinking and is frightened to say. (personally I think he can OTT but can't we all)
  • sttrinians
    I think it indicates an important risk factor that should be noticed, the same way you include genetic disposition, race, smoking, drinking, etc.

That said, as a ridiculously healthy overweight person I do not think my insurance premiums should go up. I work REALLY hard to be healthy and have a spectacularly hard time losing weight. However, in the civilian world, if I want to get certain things done they will cost me more because I am fat and it makes me sad. I know so many people who don't qualify as overweight who don't put any work into their health and eat horrible quantities of horrible foods, drink, smoke, and can barely walk up the stairs. :(

Sucks.

I agree with you. I think medical companies should do a health check before they insure then it would be fairer. I would even pay if it meant my premiums where reduced,
  • sttrinians
    I wish that when I was bigger a doctor would have got me to work out my BMI or shown me a weight chart. I knew I was on the heavy side but because I still looked "normal" compared to everyone else (I would suggest we now see overweight as the norm, or at least we don't notice it as much) I didn't realise how much extra weight I was carrying. Looking back, if a doctor had said that I should keep a check on it I would have listened. If they had used the word overweight I really would have listened really hard!!

Excellent point.
  • kazza2cats
    kazza2cats Posts: 87 Member
    If the cap fits....................:ohwell:
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    I read that article last night, to me it feels like political correctness gone mad!! if a person is overweight and/or obese then why the hell shouldn't a Doctor use those exact terms? After all there should be no misunderstanding those terms, other than said patient deliberately misunderstanding or not wanting to hear it how it is!. Isn't the point supposed to be that medical professionals be as clear as possible in their dealings with patients and the public?
  • Flissbo
    Should it just be doctors telling us though? Should our friends and family have a responsibility to tell us if we are not healthy? It's hard to do that in a nice way, and I guess that's what the doctors are getting at. The difference is though that the doctors should be trained and experienced in having those difficult conversations. It's what they get paid for at the end of the day!
  • katenmills
    katenmills Posts: 113 Member
    your WEIGHT is OVER the healthy range for your height. you're overweight. I can't believe someone would get offended by this. And obese, just like overweight, is a clinical term to measure the degree of how overweight you are. we can change it so something else - how about "fabulous"? "You're clinically fabulous." It wouldn't change the number on the scale and for me personally, it wouldn't boost my self-esteem. My weight is what brings me down, not which euphemism you use to describe it.
  • i do see both sides of the argument but when it comes to a medical professional i dont think they should "sugar coat" their vocabulary just to "spare" someones feelings to get a point across when discussing weight with a patient, i dont think people should take it too personally as that is technially the medical terminology for it obviously, and as the person posting the topic mentioned doctors need to make it simple to understand the dangers of being overweight and what they can do to rectify it and as im sure everyone realises there is no "nice" day of discussing weight i think its down to the individual on how they precieve and deal with the information presented to them
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    I'm overweight. I know it. When MY doctor says it to me, I don't feel offended. When I have a check-up or physical it is usually something like: "Your (blood) levels are all excellent, but you are still relatively young. You still need to lose some weight to continue to be healthy and lower your risks for diseases. Exercise more, eat better." Blah, blah, blah. I guess, I don't get upset because she is looking at my stats and numbers and history, etc., and telling me something based in science: I'm over my healthy weight = overweight.

In fact, I'm sort of surprised at how blasé she is about my weight. She'll say, "yeah, you're overweight, but I'm not too worried."

I think doctors have a duty to tell you the truth. I'm all for doctors having more compassion and people skills, but I don't see how dropping these terms will benefit people.