Should we stop calling people 'overweight'?

Replies

• misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    I agree and I don't agree.

I hunk it depends on how the Dr. is, my doctor would tell me I was overweight when I was 5 lbs more than the BMI tells me I should weigh, but clearly I wasn't unhealthy, and I was wearing size 8/10 pants (I'm 5'7") and that I thought was a bit harsh.

He still tells me I'm overweight everytime I see him. And I tell him I'm working on it, but I see his point when I'm 180. I guess for me it's all about how the doctor approaches it. Even at 150 I still weighed too much in his eyes even though I WAS in he healthy BMI range.
  • gabriel3194
    gabriel3194 Posts: 16
    Part of the reason I'm getting healthier is because I've been called fat. The other part is that I've seen myself in the mirror and I'm a blob. Knowing that other people think that about me too feels bad but has been a motivator; it's making me better looking and, more importantly, healthier. I'm becoming the best physical me I can be. So, my opinion is that, whether or not it seems crass, we've got to keep addressing the elephant in the room (so to speak) when it comes to obesity.
  • hallie_b
    hallie_b Posts: 175 Member
    I dont' want to hear from my husband "Have you put on weight"?

I WANT to hear from my doctor "You are overweight"

See the difference?

My MIL wouldn't go to the doctor for years because he kept telling her she was obese and she didn't want to hear it, so I guess thats the downfall, if we don't ignore it or sugar coat it then obese people will start avoiding the doctor and dropping like flies.

Well,

Who better to ask that question? Your husband.
    And who better to get away with homicide, than his wife...
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member

See the difference?

My MIL wouldn't go to the doctor for years because he kept telling her she was obese and she didn't want to hear it, so I guess thats the downfall, if we don't ignore it or sugar coat it then obese people will start avoiding the doctor and dropping like flies.

Well,

bahaha
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    So what should we call them? Overweight and obese are weight category's, these terms are crucial in identifying the probability in current or future health issues of an individual. There is nothing rude about these terms.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    I don't know what the replacements would be? Healthy, fluffy, fluffier, too d@mn fluffy?

extra-medium
  • Jenncoc86
    Jenncoc86 Posts: 203 Member
    healthy weight challenged?
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    I don't know what the replacements would be? Healthy, fluffy, fluffier, too d@mn fluffy?

extra-medium

I like it!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    This is the most ignorant thing I've heard in a while! So if doctors stop saying the words "overweight" and "obese" then WHAT words are they supposed to use to describe people who weigh too much?!?! :explode:

Like George Carlin said, you have to add syllables or extra letters to make it sting less. "Fat" is meaner than "obese" which is meaner than "overweight". Of course, there is no end in sight. Eventually "overweight" will be deemeed mean, so then we have to call it "abovepounds" to make it nicer. But then that will become mean, so we will have to change it "horizontally challenged" or maybe "adipose-lossage-intolerant".

PC is stupid.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18262887

I was interested to read this article on the BBC news website. They suggest we get doctors and other public health professionals to stop using words such as "overweight" and "obese" as they think the terms have a negative impact on body image and self-esteem.

On the other hand, someone in the article points out "I don't want to make people feel bad, and appreciate some people may have problems with self-esteem, but when it comes to it, as a doctor, if you are too careful, you run the risk of people not understanding the health implications."

They go on to say that:

"It depends on who comments are being levelled at - to a class of children, where there will be a distribution of body sizes, it is important to know being overweight can lead to diabetes, but it is more of a psychological issue than a health issue - and children can be extremely cruel,"

For me, I can see both sides of the argument, but I think if people are putting their health at risk then the doctors should tell them in as simple way as possible, which probably would involve using the word overweight. It's then up to the individual what they decide to do with that info.

What does everyone else think? Anyone been in this position and if so did the choice of words used influence you at all?

It was realizing that I was overweight that forced me to accept that if I wanted to fit back into my slim clothes, I would need to shift my *kitten* into gear and lose the excess.

Why is it nowadays that the "PC" brigade keep trying to "not offend anybody", by doing just that they are not actually doing anybody a service. Everyone is walking around like they are treading on eggshells, it is ludicrous.

I wish the PC brigade would just bugger off to be honest, let people be people and teach each other. This is how kids learn social etiquette, via their own peers and as cruel as they may be to each other, each kid don't half learn quickly when subjected to the extreme measures taken by others when one falls out of line - I am not talking about down and out bullying here by the way, that is something totally different and unnecessary.

If a person is overweight or obese, why try to shield them from those terms just because it might hurt their feelings - hell, they will be even more hurt if they do not suddenly realize and become ill because of their weight!

People are more hardy than given credit for, but at the rate the do-gooders are going, everybody is going to eventually end up so sensitive and weak to criticism that they will be rendered useless.
  • Pink_Tina
    Pink_Tina Posts: 164
    Unfortunately, the fact is that any word associated with being fat will have a negative effect on those who are overweight and haven't finally decided for themselves to change things for the better. No mater if it's "obese", "fat," or "overweight." There's just no way to not offend.

However, some people, like myself, who are overweight and not only acknowledge that fact, but are doing something about it really couldn't give two sticks what other people call us. Mostly because we know that you're not going to call us that forever. By this time, next year I promise you I'll have people saying "Ha, look at that skinny b**** go!" ;)
  • tugers2
    tugers2 Posts: 139
    why stop using the words... fat people know they are fat, they know they are over weight or obese... fat people get over it, if it hurts your feelings then lose some weight and those words will never be directed to you again
  • djtessatessa
    djtessatessa Posts: 54 Member
    Reminds me of the time I was doing a childcare course and we had to say "walk" instead of "don't run" as the latter was detrimental to their self esteem, I finished my course and never continued in childcare way to PC for me. I really think that the UK is PC mad and I hate the nanny state we live in :(

That is less of a self esteem issue and more of a positive reinforcement - positive direction issue. By using "run" in your instruction, you are psychologically implanting the word in the childs mind. Instead, give them the direction you actually want them to take and not the negative of what you dont want them to do. It also works by the way. There is nothing politically correct about this approach, you seem to be a little confused.
  • CherokeeTopaz
    CherokeeTopaz Posts: 299 Member
    TBH.. I wouldn't want to be called fat. That's something that's used negatively to tease or make fun of. BUT overweight and obese.. and even underweight.. morbidly obese.. they are categories. Docs can't do their job if they sweep it under the rug.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Unfortunately, the fact is that any word associated with being fat will have a negative effect on those who are overweight and haven't finally decided for themselves to change things for the better. No mater if it's "obese", "fat," or "overweight." There's just no way to not offend.

However, some people, like myself, who are overweight and not only acknowledge that fact, but are doing something about it really couldn't give two sticks what other people call us. Mostly because we know that you're not going to call us that forever. By this time, next year I promise you I'll have people saying "Ha, look at that skinny b**** go!" ;)

ACTUALLY they are going to say, STFU you're so mean, you've forgotten what its like to be fat, you're such an insensitive b*tch. Leave me alone!!!!!!!!!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member

See the difference?

Well,

This is the reason why we're having this conversation. Too sensitive to a topic that you should be able to have with your husband/wife. Don't pull double standards, cause most women will tell their husbands they're getting fat. It's a two way street.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    This is the most ignorant thing I've heard in a while! So if doctors stop saying the words "overweight" and "obese" then WHAT words are they supposed to use to describe people who weigh too much?!?! :explode:

There is still massive resistance to the concept that people can weight too much. Fat acceptance has hit lots of progressive politically correct communities and college campuses. Its "loving your body" to the extreme. People feel that when doctors tell them they are overweight they are really compelling them to adhere to the narrow standards of beauty in this culture. This conversation happens because weight is not only a health issue. Its often tied up with class, culture and race issues, which is why its so sensitive to dr. criticisms.

People need to realize that health is its own issue, separate from beauty norms and self esteem.
  • strongnotskinny121
    strongnotskinny121 Posts: 329 Member
    I think this is ridiculous. The word should have a negative effect! It should make you want to change what is wrong with you. I was "overweight". I was obese! I wasn't offended at the time, because I knew it was true! And I agree with what some people are saying, there is no nicer way to say some one is overweight. This is just another way for people to continue their "victimization". By telling someone they are overweight, it places the burden on them. by trying to change that, they are trying to shift the blame. I am really surprised that this came from the UK and not American. I would have expected this from AM.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member

There is still massive resistance to the concept that people can weight too much. Fat acceptance has hit lots of progressive politically correct communities and college campuses. Its "loving your body" to the extreme. People feel that when doctors tell them they are overweight they are really compelling them to adhere to the narrow standards of beauty in this culture. This conversation happens because weight is not only a health issue. Its often tied up with class, culture and race issues, which is why its so sensitive to dr. criticisms.

People need to realize that health is its own issue, separate from beauty norms and self esteem.

I tell you what. If someone wants to be like that, fine, but don't use my tax money to pay for your absurd health problems.
    If you want to weigh 700lbs and be moved by a dump truck when you wanna go to Dairy Queen, fine.

But I'm not paying for that dump truck.
  • Pink_Tina
    Pink_Tina Posts: 164

ACTUALLY they are going to say, STFU you're so mean, you've forgotten what its like to be fat, you're such an insensitive b*tch. Leave me alone!!!!!!!!!

lol And then I'll know that they're not really ready for their lifestyle change and will know to, as you said, just them alone.I know how that goes. My husband lost 70 pounds 4 years ago. Unfortunately I was too hard-headed and lazy to commit until last month.