Should we stop calling people 'overweight'?

Replies

• PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    I don't have a problem with people using clinical terms like overweight and obese, but we shouldn’t ignore that size discrimination is extremely real and it is a huge problem for people who are overweight and obese.

I heard someone say once "I am not fat, I have fat, but it is not who I am."

That is really true. I think people are very sensitive about it because, 1.) it is extremely difficult to be clinically overweight in a developed country these days. If you have never experienced it you don't understand. 2.) it feels at times that you become defined by your BMI.

Every person is different, so it is hard to say how one person will handle it as opposed to another. But I think it is really true that this needs to come from a medical professional. When someone, who is not a doctor, (and yes that includes you personal trainers) goes around calling people obese it is, in many ways, derogatory.
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    You know what has a negative effect on peoples body 'image'? Fast food, no activity, etc. I'm sorry, but they are professionals whose job is to take care of our health. I would rather my doctor tell me, listen, you're obese. You need to work on this.

I don't want someone who is going to hold my hand and tell me "don't worry! It could be worse! But we can fix this. You're not fat, just have a little more to ya!"

No thank you. It starts with this and then we're going to be getting rid of anything that has a negative connotation.

You don't have cancer, you just have an awesome three weeks left packed with goodness and fun!

Give me a break.
  • Believeth64
    Believeth64 Posts: 469 Member
    I don't have a problem with the term that is used to describe a person weight level. I agree it should not be offensive when weight is determained as "overweight or obese" when used in a way of letting a person know their health risks. I agree with one post that said about health risk, it is not only the obese and overweight that are at risk with different diseases. there are many normal weight people that have high cholestrol, high blood pressure, diabetes, and so on. Just because one is normal weight that is not a ticket to abuse the body. Drinking, smoking lack of exercise and eating unhealthy is also seen everyday in people that are not overweight. Doctor should also take the opportunity to discuss their health risk and what inpact it puts on ones health. Not just see them and assume their ok because they don't have a weight issue. Many are dying everyday due to lack of taking care of themselves. Iv'e seen many people that had heart attack and strokes both obese and normal weight. Now i am not saying don't address a person about their health risk and obesity, i'm saying talk to the whole generation that are in siuations that causes bad health due to ones lifestyle. Another issue that i've seen in the health field, Obese and Overweight Doctors, Nurses and so on. Oh (and don't forget the Obese and Overweight P.E. teachers. If they are going to preach good health and healthy lifestyles they should be the first partakers to resolve the issues that lies in many. It should not be seen in the medical field, they should be examples of healthy living. Yes tell patients about their health risk and we as a nation do need to take the responsibility to do the right thing for our health. It don't take a doctor, husband, sister nor friend to tell us when we are abusing ourselves with unhealthy weight nor lifestyle. People already know they need help, that's why it's named an epidemic now. So no matter what walk of life we live in we need to think about the whole being of a person. Obesity is a problem and it's growing out of control but only the ones that first acknowledge they have an issue with obesity can do something about it.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    You don't have cancer, you just have an awesome three weeks left packed with goodness and fun!

HA!

This is where we are headed, though.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Should we start calling McDonald's big mac fries and shake healthy. No

^This. If you are using the words accurately, tthen no need to sugar coat it.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member

So, if it turns out that using those words, rather than shifting language and addressing the actual associated health risks rather than the label, causes the majority of patients to tune out the doctor, get depressed, walk out the door and eat 3 big macs and a shake, well there's no reason to change it up? I get (and agree) that the words aren't offensive. I get that doctors should be honest with their patients, but they should also use words that are a call to action. For some people - overweight or obese ARE those words. But for others who go to the doctor and hear that year after year with no impact, clearly that is not getting through. It's not about sugar coating, it's about imparting information in the most effective way possible. I for one am always happy to see the medical profession explore better ways to connect with and relate to their patients, rather than just following the checklist of items and shoving them out the door.
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    No they should still be called overweight and obese or else they make make the change to lose weight.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    no, that's the main problem with people today.. we are slowly losing our right to NOT agree with something, we have to be so pc and be "understanding" of others and not hurt peoples feelings, blah blah blah..

we've lost the right to disagree.. can't call someone overweight, it's thier right to be so (but you can't disagree, must be pc) and I won't get into the other stuff..

I'm sick of this PC...everyone gets a trophy...and everyone is a winner crap today.. life isn't fair, it's hard work.. and someone has to lose, get over it.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    YES! Stop calling me overweight. I'd much rather be called "rubenesque", or "pleasingly plump" ...ffs.
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    I hate political correctness.

This reminds me of how they (usually) no longer use letter or passing/failing grades for little kids in school. Or how they always hand out a "prize" to every kid who participates, whether they won or not, just so nobody's self esteem gets damaged. LOL
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member

So, if it turns out that using those words, rather than shifting language and addressing the actual associated health risks rather than the label, causes the majority of patients to tune out the doctor, get depressed, walk out the door and eat 3 big macs and a shake, well there's no reason to change it up? I get (and agree) that the words aren't offensive. I get that doctors should be honest with their patients, but they should also use words that are a call to action. For some people - overweight or obese ARE those words. But for others who go to the doctor and hear that year after year with no impact, clearly that is not getting through. It's not about sugar coating, it's about imparting information in the most effective way possible. I for one am always happy to see the medical profession explore better ways to connect with and relate to their patients, rather than just following the checklist of items and shoving them out the door.

No and no. It is not my doctor's job to get me to a mental/emotional state compatible with losing weight. "Calling me to action" is not in the job description, nor should it be. It is his/her job to examine and present the facts. If some people don't want to take responsibility for their situations, that's their choice. But it's crap to decide that because of those choices, we're going to hold someone else responsible instead.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member

No and no. It is not my doctor's job to get me to a mental/emotional state compatible with losing weight. "Calling me to action" is not in the job description, nor should it be. It is his/her job to examine and present the facts. If some people don't want to take responsibility for their situations, that's their choice. But it's crap to decide that because of those choices, we're going to hold someone else responsible instead.

So you'd actually rather cling to a term than help people be healthy? A doctor's job is to examine, present the facts, AND provide treatment. Sometimes that IS about getting someone to the proper mental/emotional state even if it's only through getting them to understand their health risks rather than just knowing what their label is. When a patient is told they have cancer the doctor doesn't follow up with, "good luck with that," and send them on their way. Most people respond to that word and realize treatment is necessary and follow the course of action necessary to ridding themselves. Do you think if the majority of people heard cancer and did nothing that doctors wouldn't be trying to find another way to get them to understand the seriousness and seek treatment? I don't see how it's any different when it's weight related. And I don't recall saying doctors were responsible for the choices of their patients, only that if it turned out that using different phrasing was more effective in helping their patients achieve good health then I think it's worthwhile to explore that.
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Political correctness is lame. What is actually happening is freedom of speech actions are slowly dwindling away, laws are being passed that hinder our rights as humans, privacy is being invaded, being told what you can and can't say cause its not pc and might hurt a minority or even majority in this case feelings.

If you're obese you are fat, simple. You are a fatty mcfat fat. Do something about it. I used to be fat, I've been chubby ever since being a teen.

No reason to not call something what it is. A spade is a spade. People need to stop being so sensitive
    Fatty Mcfat fat! Almost peed my now smaller size pants. I myself prefer fatty fatty two by four.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    So you'd actually rather cling to a term than help people be healthy? A doctor's job is to examine, present the facts, AND provide treatment. Sometimes that IS about getting someone to the proper mental/emotional state even if it's only through getting them to understand their health risks rather than just knowing what their label is. When a patient is told they have cancer the doctor doesn't follow up with, "good luck with that," and send them on their way. Most people respond to that word and realize treatment is necessary and follow the course of action necessary to ridding themselves. Do you think if the majority of people heard cancer and did nothing that doctors wouldn't be trying to find another way to get them to understand the seriousness and seek treatment? I don't see how it's any different when it's weight related. And I don't recall saying doctors were responsible for the choices of their patients, only that if it turned out that using different phrasing was more effective in helping their patients achieve good health then I think it's worthwhile to explore that.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Great point, to all the people banging on about freedom of speech and political correctness I have a simple question:
    If it were proven that the use of different language acheived better health outcomes for obese people, would you then support the call to change that language??
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    We have to stop letting feelings control what are genuinely objective metrics. Ignoring facts to accomodate feelings is one way that some people actually get fat in the first place.
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    We are living in a world where people can't say anything to anyone for fear of "hurting their feelings." It's kind of pathetic, I mean, when did we become such pansies?

No, we should not stop calling people overweight. That's what they are. That's the nicer way of calling a spade a spade without getting "mean." I mean, what else would you call people?

SPEAK!!! :drinker:
  • Nataliaho
    I have a particular bug about this issue because of a personal experience I had when obese. I've never even told anyone about it. I fell down some stairs and severely injured my ankle. I went the emergency room, waited 8 hours so that a doctor could tell me that I had only sprained it and the swelling was likely just because I was obese. He sent me away with a bandage and some paracetemol. When It was still extremely swollen and sore then next day I spoke to my mother who is a nurse. She couldn't believe they hadn't even sent me for an xray. I had to take myself to a GP and insist on being sent for an xray. My leg was so severely broken that even the xray technician said straight away "you'll probably be in for surgery this arvo". I was, I ended up with a plate and 6 screws in my leg, which could have gone completely undiagnosed because a lazy fat-shaming doctor...

Comeon, now let me hear how I deserved to walk around on a broken leg because I dared to be fat...
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    I have a particular bug about this issue because of a personal experience I had when obese. I've never even told anyone about it. I fell down some stairs and severely injured my ankle. I went the emergency room, waited 8 hours so that a doctor could tell me that I had only sprained it and the swelling was likely just because I was obese. He sent me away with a bandage and some paracetemol. When It was still extremely swollen and sore then next day I spoke to my mother who is a nurse. She couldn't believe they hadn't even sent me for an xray. I had to take myself to a GP and insist on being sent for an xray. My leg was so severely broken that even the xray technician said straight away "you'll probably be in for surgery this arvo". I was, I ended up with a plate and 6 screws in my leg, which could have gone completely undiagnosed because a lazy fat-shaming doctor...

Comeon, now let me hear how I deserved to walk around on a broken leg because I dared to be fat...

You didnt deserve to walk around on a broken leg because you were fat, but a very easy an pretty important way to see if an ankle injury is severe is to check for swelling. Its like the "heaver than normal" girls who dont know they are pregnant until the 5th month when they feel the baby kicking. Was that the doctors fault?
  • Nataliaho

You didnt deserve to walk around on a broken leg because you were fat, but a very easy in pretty important way to see if an ankle injury is sever is to check for swelling. Its like the "heaver than normal" girls who dont know they are pregnant until the 5th month when they felt the baby kicking. Was that the doctors fault?

Sorry I don't understand what you were saying there? There was no doubt it was extrememly swollen and bruised, my ankles have never been fat.... its not like he couldn't see the swelling because I was fat. He was saying that likely the swelling was extreme only due to my weight. He would have sent a slimmer person for an xray...

My point is that obviously a doctor can use whatever term they like. However the most important thing should be to deal with a persons injury or illness. Yet it seems like alot of people excuse poor/lazy doctoring when it relates to a fat person.
  • Drenched_N_Motivation

You didnt deserve to walk around on a broken leg because you were fat, but a very easy in pretty important way to see if an ankle injury is sever is to check for swelling. Its like the "heaver than normal" girls who dont know they are pregnant until the 5th month when they felt the baby kicking. Was that the doctors fault?

Sorry I don't understand what you were saying there? There was no doubt it was extrememly swollen and bruised, my ankles have never been fat.... its not like he couldn't see the swelling because I was fat. He was saying that likely the swelling was extreme only due to my weight. He would have sent a slimmer person for an xray...

My point is that obviously a doctor can use whatever term they like. However the most important thing should be to deal with a persons injury or illness. Yet it seems like alot of people excuse poor/lazy doctoring when it relates to a fat person.

Oh, sorry, I must have misread that. You should sue that doctor for malpratice.