Replies

• jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    It hurts; like a badass hurt!
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I wax "the area" and yes it hurts, but the results are worth it!! It is even better if you have a professional do it, but I also rip out my own hair sometimes too.
  • JJNette76
    JJNette76 Posts: 11
    Options
    I started waxing like 12 years ago and at first it hurt pretty bad but now the pain is minimal. It is worth it though, I'd never go back to shaving. You get used to the pain and it takes longer for the hair to grow back if you do it for a long time. It feels like being snapped with a rubber band but the pain is only for a second....repeatedly but still it's not horrible. The first time I went I winced and yelped but now I almost fall asleep while it's being done. Good luck...you'll like it when the pain is over.
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I wax "the area" and yes it hurts, but the results are worth it!! It is even better if you have a professional do it, but I also rip out my own hair sometimes too.

I would never do it myself, im not that brave.
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Oh, also -- it helps if you exhale as they rip.
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    good to know
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the responses, so I apologize if I'm repeating information here. I wax my legs, eyebrows, and entire crotch (aka a Brazilian). The legs and brows sting a little but it's over with quickly. However, I am extremely sensitive to the Brazilian. Regular numbing creams offered by waxers are not enough to make it tolerable for me. I use a lidocaine/prilocaine cream called Emla... complete numbing of the area. It works great but is only available by prescription in the U.S., so you either have to get a script for it or order it from a Canadian pharmacy like I do.

That being said, I have a friend that gets Brazilians with no numbing cream at all. I've been told it depends on your skin and the coarseness of your hair.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    It hurts for the first 10x or so then you become immune.
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    No im just trying to figure out how i say to my mother "hey, can you watch my baby for me so i ca get my va-jay jay waxed?" lol Great conversation.

Hahaha, just tell her you're getting your legs waxed. That's what I tell mine. We're close, but not close enough to discuss Brazilian waxing.
  • xNJAx
    xNJAx Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I’ve had everything done as some point or other and the only thing I would never have done a second time is the armpits – that was horrendous!

My lady garden groomer told me that it hurts more the darker your hair is because it tends to be thicker. Thankfully I’m quite fair and I don’t find it all that painful. It does hurt, but not enough to outweigh the results you get and it hurts less over time.

Some tips:

1) Take a pain killer half an hour before you go
    2) Relax all your muscles as much as possible throughout
    3) Breathe out as they pull the strip off – this helps massively!
    4) Wear lightweight clothing or a skirt (I don’t find this personally, but I know other people who don’t like the feeling of trousers or heavy fabrics for a couple of hours afterwards as their skin is a bit more sensitive)

Good luck! If you’re really nervous about it you’ll probably be in for a (relatively) pleasant surprise like I was the first time. I worked myself up into such a state over it and then thought everyone who’d ever told me anything about the pain was either a complete wuss or a liar. Haha. :)
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Not a lady but I do get the pleasure of pulling the strips for the wife. I can honestly say that i don't feel a thing but she tends to have some things to say when I pull them.

On a side note, ladies, please allow your spouse/SO to experience this wonderful activity. It helps relieve any stress I may be feeling and on a good night I can get some of the follicles to bleed!!
  • Juliet_622
    Juliet_622 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Whatever you decide to use, DO NOT USE THIS STUFF:
    http://amzn.to/IAjA9u (ouch)

It's a link to the Veet for men reviews on Amazon, some of them are fairly eye-watering to say the least :)

(Consider yourself warned)

I've just spent about 2 hours reading some of these reviews. I'm laughing so hard, that I'm crying!! Thank you so much for that link!!
  • MrsBrit2007
    MrsBrit2007 Posts: 161
    Options
    I've waxed my armpits, legs, bikini and had a few brazillians done... it's not that bad. (Two of those brazillians were done when I was pregnant, and I expected them to be a lot more painful than they were.)
    Honestly, there's a certain spot on my shins that stings like a bugger, but every where else wasn't bad.

Take a tylenol before you go and try to stay as relaxed as possible.