MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! I haven't been on here in a long time!!! I missed you guys!

I have been super busy....the college is a buzz with all the activity and the new students. I've been working 10-15 hour days lately just to keep my head out of water. This time of year is always crazy for us when the fall semester starts. Tomorrow I start teaching at the prison again, so that will take away some of my free time (what little I get lol).

I've been doing great on my running. I average 4 miles on my normal days, and 7 miles on my long runs. I am now to the point where I am wondering where to go next on my runs so I've been scoping out the area a lot lately.

Hopefully I'll be able to log into here more often but probably not until the school semester dies down a little. I'm teaching two classes plus my normal I.T job.

Anyways, take care all and I miss you guys!

Happy Running

Liza

Hey there!

You are in "Almost Heaven, West Virginia," right? Where do you teach?
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    I teach at Glenville State College in WV :smile: I also teach at the local federal prison...

I teach computer science....not a bad job...there are a lot worse :smile:

Thanks for asking :flowerforyou:
  • SatelliteCrush80
    Options
    I teach at Glenville State College in WV :smile: I also teach at the local federal prison...

Cool! I will (sort of) be in your neck of the woods in October...we're coming to Morgantown for WVU's Homecoming, and I was just curious where you are. :flowerforyou:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Ran by myself during my son's cross country workout again today. Got in 10 K in just under an hour, so not a bad work-out. Running in a new park, so I had some exploring to do. Always good to get a change of scenery. (And knowing that the team may come up and lap me at any time is good motivation not to dog it too much.:laugh: )

Great job! It's nice with different scenery sometimes! How cool that you can run while your son is running. :drinker:
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Ran by myself during my son's cross country workout again today. Got in 10 K in just under an hour, so not a bad work-out. Running in a new park, so I had some exploring to do. Always good to get a change of scenery. (And knowing that the team may come up and lap me at any time is good motivation not to dog it too much.:laugh: )

Great job! It's nice with different scenery sometimes! How cool that you can run while your son is running. :drinker:
    Might be more fun to actually run with him, but when your kids become teenagers, you'll realize they don't mind hanging out with you one-on-one, but don't want you hanging out with their friends. Gosh, you might embarass them:laugh:
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options

Cool! I will (sort of) be in your neck of the woods in October...we're coming to Morgantown for WVU's Homecoming, and I was just curious where you are. :flowerforyou:

Wow!!! That's not too far from us!!! I am a grad student at WVU....what a small world!

We should meet up...that would be so great! :drinker:
  • schlieffen
    schlieffen Posts: 269
    Options
    It was far too humid for me this morning (at 7am it was 24 with humidex of 32 :grumble: ) to do my normal route, so I did a 25 minute run at 5mph at the gym after work. Never thought I'd run 25 straight minutes :bigsmile:
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options

Wow!!! That's not too far from us!!! I am a grad student at WVU....what a small world!

We should meet up...that would be so great! :drinker:

Annaliza,

I'm a certified elementary school teacher, but my DREAM JOB:love: would be to teach at a prison. Before I was an elementary ed. major in college, I wanted to be a Correctional Office... thus my minor in Criminal Justice... how do you like it? And, how did you get started doing that (just out of curiosity)?
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    morning -- 6.5 easy miles today.
    Hope you all are having a great day!
    Julie
  • Emmyleww
    Emmyleww Posts: 278
    Options
    morning -- 6.5 easy miles today.
    Hope you all are having a great day!
    Julie

I can't wait until I can say this. No, really, I can't wait. I want to do it now! I want to increase my mileage and I want to speed up all at the same time. Can you do both? When you increase mileage do you slow down the pace to be able to run the distance? Then is that when the tempo runs / speedwork comes into play? I've read so much information the past year about all this but for some reason I can't quite retain it. I have so many questions my head is spinning. It's funny because I talk like I know what I'm doing to my running partner. Luckily she's usually up for anything. I'm probably just frustrated because I haven't be able to run since Saturday and I've been doing so well with running at least 3X a week. I wouldn't say I miss the running because that would imply I actually enjoy it. I think I just don't want to go backwards. Today is the day though and of course it's supposed to thunderstorm. I'm crossing my fingers the weather holds out.
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Emmyleww -- hang in there -- it's coming. I have only been running for about 1.5 years....and I never imagined I would run 10+ miles. I am following the runner's world training plan because it tells you exactly what to do -- which is what I need. I get up at the crack of dawn and I'm not a "just run" person -- I need a plan. It tells you how long to run and at what pace -- and it increases when you are supposed to -- and also adds in those dreaded tempo/speed workouts. I have heard that you need to choose one or the other -- either increase speed or distance but never both. And I believe you are not supposed to increase more than 10%. Sounds like you are already addicted to the good feeling you get from running if you are crossing your fingers for good weather.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Tried something new today and ran this morning. I usually have a really difficult time working out in the morning (blood sugar issues, etc.:sick: ) but it wasn't any better or worse than my usual late afternoon/evening run. I finished couch to 5k week 8 day 2, so I only have 4 workouts left!!! :drinker: :bigsmile: I cannot believe it!

Happy running today, friends! Stay cool out there :tongue:
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    5.8 miles this morning. Fifth day in a row running and my legs are getting tired! I am usually a three-days a week kind of guy, and although my mileage hasn't increased much, I miss those recovery days.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    ugh, this is week two of morning running instead of afternoons and my legs are rebelling :laugh: It was interval day and I ended with a sluggish 2. Think I will get an afternoon one in today but my legs have to lose the cement blocks that were attached this morning :noway:

Have a great run everyone! :smile:
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hi gang, this week has been soo much better. I really hope that my feet are on the mend :ohwell:
    I ran 4 miles Monday, 5 yesterday, cross trained today on elliptical and weights and tomorrow I'm shooting for 7 or 8 miles. Hopefully I can get back on track Saturday with my long run as long as I'm feeling ok.
    Happy Running :flowerforyou:
  • SatelliteCrush80
    Options
    Hey all...happy Hump Day!

I'm doing 4 miles at an easy pace today...still pretty gross outside, but I think I can handle it. Just going to take advantage of the easy week that the program gave me and enjoy it.

Happy Running everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • christine918
    Options
    Hey Everybody! :flowerforyou:

I ran 4 yesterday. I signed up for my first half marathon last nite! I am excited and nervous! I hope I can do it!!!

146230.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Today I did elliptical, bicycling, and weight lifting along with some yoga. I'm still going a little easy after my long run on Saturday.

I have one more idea for a recovery technique that my husband has found really helpful. He was having a lot of trouble with pain in one of his calves. A track coach told him about about a device called "The Stick." He said it was this stick with rollers that you rub on any sore muscles both before and after a run. Anyway, when my daughter and I were at the expo before one of our half-marathons, there was a booth selling them for $35, so I bought one for him. The idea is the same as a lot of the other suggestions. It helps to get rid of the lactic acid etc. He also said that sometimes when you run you get little micro tears in the muscles, which feel like knots. So rubbing the stick on them helps to break down those knots. My husband has been using it for a few months now, and it has really helped with his soreness.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Good morning:flowerforyou:

Much needed rest day...:drinker:

Wishing everyone amazing runs, walks, rests, and xtrains today
    -Kechie.
  • Emmyleww
    Emmyleww Posts: 278
    Options
    I finally got to run this week. Last night I ran 3 miles and was a little faster than normal. It was a little iffy for a while but since we ran later than normal the rain (or should I say hurricane-like down pour) had already passed through. After that had to rush to get to my volleyball game. I'm hoping to get a run in before my softball game tomorrow but we'll see how that goes. If the weather holds today I'll be bike riding.
    Hope everyone has great runs or rests!