How many people actually diet 7 days a week?

Options

Replies

• sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I now calorie cycle, ie bank calories so i get two days a week at maintenance, one being a Saturday to eat more of what i like without actually cheating. I don't even feel like im dieting, as the week seems to be broken up more frequently. Btw im very comfortable with the way things are going, and progress has been good i very rarely hit a plateau.
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options

Im just wondering if, this could be the problem of allot of peoples, "I've hit a plateau threads i see so often"
    Just a theory of mine :smile:

I completely agree with you. There was a thread earlier today where the poster claimed that she's been following the plan for 6 months and hasn't seen any results. Then she admitted that she did lose weight in the first 3 months, but then she went nuts and regained all the weight back and then some. But she was still counting those 3 months + the month she spent refeeding as part of the 6 months she was on a diet!

Yes I think absolutely people are not honest with themselves and as a result, not really honest to the group here at MFP when they complain about a "plateau" after not following the plan.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I rarely log the weekends anymore. I just don't want to take the time, unlike when I'm supposed to be working. :laugh:

I was more strict on the weekends when I was losing, but now that I'm maintaining I still try to keep it healthy most of the time but I'm a little more lax on the weekends. I think about my diet all the time, but I don't log all the time.
  • emily_kenyon
    emily_kenyon Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    i log everyday have done since i started which will be 12 months in a few days :)

7934927.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • WillPowerYes
    WillPowerYes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    it's a lifestyle not a diet so every day! even when I indulge! 7 days a week! I have cheat/indulge 'moments' cheat days are a step back and for me would escalate into everyday again ;) minus vacations - those are cheat/indulge lots of moments so 7 days a week minus vacations I guess haha

that makes no sense probs haha

I wondered how long it would be before the 'lifestyle' vs 'diet' distinction was drawn. It's an artificial distinction. Your 'lifestyle' involves incorporating healthy eating. In that sense you are, indeed, adapting your 'diet'. It isn't a fad diet, or a crash diet, but your new lifestyle certainly includes healthy dietary practices. In that sense your 'diet' has changed.

Bugbear. As you were.

Thank you, I was just mentally working up a response and then I saw yours. We are ALL on some sort of "diet", whether it be a "healthy diet", or "unhealthy diet", or "vegetarian diet", or "calorie increasing diet" (ie my elderly parent), or "wheat free diet". Diet is related to what you eat: The kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eat.

OP, I track my foods every day, and I do not take off weekends from my healthy diet. If I have a special occasion, etc, I just face the facts and log what I ate (the best that I can), and take it from there. I don't hide from my realities, and I try to not sabotage my own goals.
  • usernamekelly1
    usernamekelly1 Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I log every day!

Sometimes I'll eat at maintence on odd occasion, but it's not necessarily at the weekend.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks. The 80% rule usually applies, but some people can undo a diet if they try really hard on a cheat day. I can only manage 8 weeks as an abosolute maximum of being 'on plan'.

I'll say do whatever works for you, and I'm not for or against 7 days a week dieting

I just want to agree that there are a lot of people that are not seeing success with their diet due to not being honest with what they are eating, but the majority of diets failing (and the word diet is important in it's use here, and the majority of people are not on MFP), are due to people trying too hard, and being too harsh with their diets that are impossible to live with for long enough for true results.
  • jess_1993
    jess_1993 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It isnt a diet, it's a lifestyle :) I make sure to log everyday in order to be honest with myself. Before I used to skip weekends because they were usually filled with unhealthy food but now I just give myself snacks I like daily instead of waiting for the weekend and it seems to work!
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I wondered how long it would be before the 'lifestyle' vs 'diet' distinction was drawn. It's an artificial distinction. Your 'lifestyle' involves incorporating healthy eating. In that sense you are, indeed, adapting your 'diet'. It isn't a fad diet, or a crash diet, but your new lifestyle certainly includes healthy dietary practices. In that sense your 'diet' has changed.

Bugbear. As you were.

It's a difference between noun and verb.

Yes, everyone has a diet. Noun.

No, everyone does not diet. Verb.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I log every day and am totally 200% committed to my goal. I save treats for when I have company or go out of town. That is not often so 99.9% of my diary contains foods that will help me towards my goal. I have some form of exercise everyday, be it running, Jillian Michaels or weights. I do not wanna be 6 months down the road and look back and kick myself thinking I could have done better.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I tend to log everyday but sometimes there are meals where I just can't log it. Tonight is an example. I'm going to a cocktail party with heavy appetizers. I will not spend the evening with my phone trying to keep track of every nibble and no I won't remember everything. I currently have over 1200 calories remaining for the day so will just hope for the best. This kind of situation happens probably once a week-this week I get it twice!

Also, I don't consider it a "diet". This is my life now. I try and eat healthy and really watch what I eat most of the time but still allow myself to enjoy social activities-and yes, that includes eating non-healthy foods.

This, exactly. This is the way I plan to eat every day, for the rest of my life. I try to eat right every single time I eat. I plan my meals so that I actually enjoy the foods I eat, and don't want to "cheat," although I do occasionally have a piece of candy or cake or something, because that's built into the plan. I also try to log every single meal, with one exception: I don't log if I've been drinking. I only drink when I go to a bar or a party, and I think it's just a little too much to log every single snack or appetizer when I'm not exactly sober. I do still try to limit what I eat; I just don't log it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Wow, a lot of people really hate the word "diet" on here, huh? For me, diet is my lifestyle. Whether I'm at maintenance or I've put on a few, I still eat healthy and when someone asks if I'm on a diet, my standard answer is "Always".
  • AnaVerasGettingFit
    AnaVerasGettingFit Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I MIGHT if I had an iphone. (My fiance broke his, so I sacrified!) For that reason, it's a lot easier for me to log during the work-week because I have a desk job and access to the site. The weekends seem to go by so quickly and are usually busy; I never think to log until I'm in bed for the night. By then, it's a guessing game and I already know how inaccurate it's doomed to be so I don't even try. But mostly it's because I know I'm eating $h#% food :x
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I've started to recently, since I've upped my calorie goal I can include treats and still lose. However, if there's a party, or event, or...something, with a ton of food, I just eat what I want and don't really worry about it. I didn't get fat from eating a slice of cake, I got fat from eating the whole cake.
  • Boomer1946
    Boomer1946 Posts: 124
    Options
    Everyday for me. Can't afford to get off track. I can just look at pictures of food and gain weight.

:smile:
  • lolabluola
    lolabluola Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Wow, a lot of people really hate the word "diet" on here, huh? For me, diet is my lifestyle. Whether I'm at maintenance or I've put on a few, I still eat healthy and when someone asks if I'm on a diet, my standard answer is "Always".

haha in my head (when i convince myself not to eat something offered to me haha) I use 'lifestlye' because diet was what i usto call what i'm doing haha when someone asks about being on a 'diet' i say nope - only cause it helps make me feel like since it's not a 'diet' i'm not going to ever go off it.

but you're right!!! words words words though haha
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Ok I understand for some people here, its a lifestyle not diet, but for the sake of simplicity i titled the thread diet. Hope I've not offend anyone :smile:
  • FreedomReigns
    FreedomReigns Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Ok I understand for some people here, its a lifestyle not diet, but for the sake of simplicity i titled the thread diet. Hope I've not offend anyone :smile:

Diet/lifestyle change....who really cares! Call it what you want as long as we can all agree that we are getting healthy!

Why must everyone be so touchy?

This is why i stay away from the forums!
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I log my food every day. No cheat days, not cheat meals, no extra, hidden, unrecorded treats (unless I forget). I really want to get the weight off and keep it off. Once I hit my goal weight I'll allow myself a few extras, but I expect to keep a food diary of some sort for the rest of my life.
  • cazwillis99
    cazwillis99 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I log everything - if I don't I'm only lying to myself and I want to lose weight. Its been a while since I went over my daily cals and if I know I am having a treat (not a cheat) I build it into my day - whilst I am on a diet I am also a normal person living a normal life and this has to fit my life more than the other way round because it has to be sustainable (hopefully for the rest of my life)