Replies

• PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    <3
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I think I may be too cynical :( This doesn't give me warm fuzzies at all.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I went to Florida to watch a friend compete in the Ford Florida Ironman Triathlon (2.4 mi swim, 112 mi bike, full marathon). My friends and I were standing on the marathon course cheering on the tired participants. There, among the fit, chiseled triathletes, comes a woman who had to be 300 lbs. My first reaction was "How in the world is this fat woman actually out there competing in this elite event????" And then I remembered where I was.... standing on the sidelines watching......

What an inspiration she was!!!! Most people make excuses, even when they want to do something great.... my-158 lb-self included (I've said for years that I want to do an Ironman, but have yet to do it); but yet this woman, with more odds against her than anyone else out there, did not allow her physical size to deter her from doing something she wanted to do! She was out there, doing something that most people have never done and never will do! Granted she was slow, at a turtle crawl pace, but everyone there cheering on the participants recognized her efforts, and I swear she recieved ten times the amount of cheering and encouragement than the first place pro received. I don't know if she made the 17hr cutoff that night or not.... but I will never forget that woman.

I have set a goal to complete an Ironman by the time I am 35.... I've got 4 years. If that amazing woman can do it, then so can I!!! Thank you, woman who I do not know your name, but will never forget!!

And this is why your post is so important!!!! Even when you do not know your self worth, you never know who you are inspiring!!!! Keep on truckin' fat girl!!! Don't ever quit!!!!
  • AZnewme
    AZnewme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Love this! Need to keep it close to my heart!
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Seriously!
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Love this! Thanks for sharing <3
  • mangobadango
    mangobadango Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I love this. It is really an emphasis on stepping outside of your insecurities to see that others actually have admiration and respect for your efforts.

I'm always cheering the heavier people on in my head that I see outside going for a walk or attempting running. Something along the lines of "You go girl!"
  • RK262
    RK262 Posts: 17
    Options
    That was great to read! Thanks for posting it.
  • NMJosephs
    NMJosephs Posts: 185
    Options
    AMAZING! I have tears in my eyes. Thank you SO much for sharing!
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing, i needed this :flowerforyou:
  • Jenks9
    Jenks9 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This is just what I needed today. I am walking - with the hopes of losing weight and working up to running. THANK YOU!
  • Syderelli
    Syderelli Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    love this :)
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    This is truly the best post ever ! Thank you for sharing this.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Wow doesn't describe it. LOVE this. Got me all misty-eyed.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    *TEARS* I loved this!!
  • xYumzx
    xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Yea I just got teary eyed reading this * I LOVE IT*
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    This is awesome. It resonates so strongly with me. I still have trouble making eye contact with people despite my accomplishments and I think I'll forever be that 'fat girl' with her head down and headphones on. =)
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Thank you SO much for sharing this. This is me. I started c25k on Tuesday and tomorrow is day 3. I was going to take an "off" exercise day today, but now I'm determined to find at least 30 minutes at some point today to ride on my stationary bike. And I WILL get up at 5 am tomorrow to do run #3.

I really needed this post. It truly makes me realize that not everyone is looking at me wondering if I've lost my ever loving mind for trying to run. Now I WILL do it and I WILL run a 5K at the end of July!
  • Babygirl928
    Babygirl928 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    :sad: that was absolutely PRICELESS!!!! I printed it and have put it on the wall here in my office and shrunk a copy for my purse. THANK YOU OP for posting this!!!! :drinker: :drinker:
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I teared up as well! This could have been written about me just as well as thousands of others! I was once that "fat girl" at first I only worked out at home to avoid being seen, I wouldn't even let my husband or kids watch. Then as I started losing weight and becoming more confident I ventured out but avoided eye contact with those fitter than me. Now I still have some excess fat but I embrace going out for a run and LOVE making contact and small conversations with other runners but I love even more seeing overweight people out there for the first time trying then they keep coming back and become better and better. Nothing makes me prouder!