Women Of 5'9/5'10 - What's Your Goal/Ideal Weight?

Options

Replies

• cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Accufitness makes both manual calipers, and bio-electrical impedance analysis automatic method. One is around $10 US, the other $25.... Suprisingly, the manual method is very accurate using the one position test, and can be more accurate using the three position.

http://www.amazon.com/Accufitness-Accu-Measure-Fitness-Personal-caliper/dp/B000Z91U50/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338593011&sr=8-1

Having read your profile, I have a better idea of what it is you are struggling with, and would say that you need more muscle mass. Note that I did not say weight. At your age, having battled this for years, it must be hard to actually look at the scale and eat....so instead of looking at the scale, don't try a new approach. Simply use the body fat % method. Since January, my weight has fluctuated between 175, and 188....it would drive me insane worrying about it. The only thing I worried about was dropping my body fat % from 16.8 down to below 14. As the rate of change is a lot slower than weight, it is much easier for anyone that is really concerned with what the scale says. If are 125 now, you are probably too lean...ie, not enough body fat (unless your a marathon runner). Use the body fat % method and look for 22% as your target goal to maintain. If you reach that, you should have gained a bit more total weight...more muscle to go with it, and fell a bit more sane knowing that the percentages change a lot slower than lbs...

That makes perfect sense!
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Accufitness makes both manual calipers, and bio-electrical impedance analysis automatic method. One is around $10 US, the other $25.... Suprisingly, the manual method is very accurate using the one position test, and can be more accurate using the three position.

http://www.amazon.com/Accufitness-Accu-Measure-Fitness-Personal-caliper/dp/B000Z91U50/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338593011&sr=8-1

Having read your profile, I have a better idea of what it is you are struggling with, and would say that you need more muscle mass. Note that I did not say weight. At your age, having battled this for years, it must be hard to actually look at the scale and eat....so instead of looking at the scale, don't try a new approach. Simply use the body fat % method. Since January, my weight has fluctuated between 175, and 188....it would drive me insane worrying about it. The only thing I worried about was dropping my body fat % from 16.8 down to below 14. As the rate of change is a lot slower than weight, it is much easier for anyone that is really concerned with what the scale says. If are 125 now, you are probably too lean...ie, not enough body fat (unless your a marathon runner). Use the body fat % method and look for 22% as your target goal to maintain. If you reach that, you should have gained a bit more total weight...more muscle to go with it, and fell a bit more sane knowing that the percentages change a lot slower than lbs...

Thanks for the advice, shall look into the calipers, and yes, I am struggling to get things right after so many years of on/off issues, without slipping back into a state of simply not exercising at all. I am not a marathon runner, but I do cycle almost everyday, usually between 60 and 180 minutes, trying to change that up and add in other things as it gets a bit boring after a while. My bf keeps asking me where I have gone and why my boobs have disappeared, so it is possible I am too lean for my build. I just need to work on switching my brain over to bodyfat rather than the number on the scale, which has long been an issue for me. I just always felt that anything over 126Ibs was really heavy for a female, given there are guys out there who only weigh 140 lol.
  • 1RareJewel
    1RareJewel Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    5'9
    SW 207
    HW 228
    CW 182
    GW 160-165
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options

Thanks for the advice, shall look into the calipers, and yes, I am struggling to get things right after so many years of on/off issues, without slipping back into a state of simply not exercising at all. I am not a marathon runner, but I do cycle almost everyday, usually between 60 and 180 minutes, trying to change that up and add in other things as it gets a bit boring after a while. My bf keeps asking me where I have gone and why my boobs have disappeared, so it is possible I am too lean for my build. I just need to work on switching my brain over to bodyfat rather than the number on the scale, which has long been an issue for me. I just always felt that anything over 126Ibs was really heavy for a female, given there are guys out there who only weigh 140 lol.

ahh..the Cycling Paradox...you'll appreciate this..

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/12674956/cycling-explained

Cyclists (i know a few...i would be the weekend guy, way behind them)...view everything in wattage output...and if you can drop 3lbs and maintain wattage, you'll increase your speed, and yes...one of them is 5'10" and 143, built like a whippet and just as fast. If he wasn't a semi-pro rider, he would love to ride less....workout upper body, develop his chest/arms, but until that day comes he is what he is. While not anorexic, he is more obsessed than he should be, and if you look at cyclists in general, is it possible that cycling has contributed to your weight problems over time, having trained yourself to be thinner is better?

Even if you ride for a club, what is the end goal...Cat1 certification?.... ease up on the cycling, look for other activities, you can ride at 16-17mph with the rest of us and still have fun...again, not saying cycling is bad...i love it, but look after yourself first, and enjoy cycling as part of your workout routines and a good way to see the sights....seriously, how many times have you ridden 50-70 miles, and afterwards, couldn't really recall where you had been, as you had your head buried in heart rate stats, wattage output, miles per hour, and staring at the butt 12" in front of you?
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 1/4".... I weigh 138 now. My goal is 132 or 133 ish. That usually feels good for me in terms of body size and increasing my running pace. I have gotten into the 120s. About 5 years ago I hit 128. My mother asked if I was anorexic and I felt like I was angles, not curves. That was the point where it became too much. But, at the time my marriage was ending and I wasn't eating. It wasn't a good time in my life. So hopefully I will hit the low 130s sometime this summer. It's hard to lose the last few.....
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm just under 5'10 and originally set my goal weight at 145 since then have reset it to 150, after seeing photos of someone my height that was 150 and healthy and strong ...

Will reevaluate once I get closer to goal and see what my body fat is.

Connie
  • graelwyn
    Options

Cyclists (i know a few...i would be the weekend guy, way behind them)...view everything in wattage output...and if you can drop 3lbs and maintain wattage, you'll increase your speed, and yes...one of them is 5'10" and 143, built like a whippet and just as fast. If he wasn't a semi-pro rider, he would love to ride less....workout upper body, develop his chest/arms, but until that day comes he is what he is. While not anorexic, he is more obsessed than he should be, and if you look at cyclists in general, is it possible that cycling has contributed to your weight problems over time, having trained yourself to be thinner is better?

Even if you ride for a club, what is the end goal...Cat1 certification?.... ease up on the cycling, look for other activities, you can ride at 16-17mph with the rest of us and still have fun...again, not saying cycling is bad...i love it, but look after yourself first, and enjoy cycling as part of your workout routines and a good way to see the sights....seriously, how many times have you ridden 50-70 miles, and afterwards, couldn't really recall where you had been, as you had your head buried in heart rate stats, wattage output, miles per hour, and staring at the butt 12" in front of you?

Oh, I am not a serious cyclist, in the sense, I do not cycle fast (my bike will not allow it, lol, it is a hybrid and rather heavy), just my cycling involves a lot of hills and a lot of work due to the weight of my bike, and having mild emphysema. It has certainly dropped me weight. I can eat a lot and still not put on weight, if I am cycling as I do. I don't go faster than around 12mph actually, but must admit, I have been looking into getting a quicker bike. I see everything as I am in an upright position, and do cycle partly to get out of the city and into the countryside. The most I have done is around 40 miles. Most time I have done without stopping is 3 hours. I find, oddly, that if I stop and take a break or have a sit down even, I find it doubly difficult to get going again so I tend to just keep cycling. Not sure why that is. But yes, I am not into those things you mention, I don't even have anything attached to my bike to measure all of that currently, though I have got a polar ft4 recently to find out just what I am burning. Probably more than those racing on the flat, because of the hills I have to do and the gear ratios on my bike.

But I want to get back into swimming as I used to be a very fast swimmer, and I have some kettlebells, I have yet to try out.
  • SilkyHotspur
    Options

Oh, I am not a serious cyclist, in the sense, I do not cycle fast (my bike will not allow it, lol, it is a hybrid and rather heavy), just my cycling involves a lot of hills and a lot of work due to the weight of my bike, and having mild emphysema. It has certainly dropped me weight. I can eat a lot and still not put on weight, if I am cycling as I do. I don't go faster than around 12mph actually, but must admit, I have been looking into getting a quicker bike. I see everything as I am in an upright position, and do cycle partly to get out of the city and into the countryside. The most I have done is around 40 miles. Most time I have done without stopping is 3 hours. I find, oddly, that if I stop and take a break or have a sit down even, I find it doubly difficult to get going again so I tend to just keep cycling. Not sure why that is. But yes, I am not into those things you mention, I don't even have anything attached to my bike to measure all of that currently, though I have got a polar ft4 recently to find out just what I am burning. Probably more than those racing on the flat, because of the hills I have to do and the gear ratios on my bike.

But I want to get back into swimming as I used to be a very fast swimmer, and I have some kettlebells, I have yet to try out.

I used to say that I could eat whatever I wanted and not gain weight...which was essentially true, not because I had a super fast metabolism or anything, it was because I wasn't really watching what I ate, or how much I exercised. I stayed at 155 - 165 for years. It was only when I decided to pay attention to what I ate and what workouts I was doing that I gained any weight..I went from 167 to 188 (on purpopse) with the goal of gaining more muscle mass, and have since cut the weight down to 178. So now I weigh 10lbs more than I did before, and my body fat % is lower. Instead of watching the scale daily to make sure I maintained enough weight, i went to weekly, and now every couple of weeks or sometimes once per month. I check BF% every other day instead and am happy with that.

Swimming is a great workout, and kettlebells are outstanding for total body work....not sure what your diet consists of in total, but if you're looking to gain more lean muscle, look to eat .75 - .90gms of protein per day, per pound of body weight, so at 125, you would be around 93 to 112gms of protein per day...give it a go for a month...leave the scale alone for a day...then two...then three, and work up to a couple of weeks...then a month. Increase up to 21-22% body fat while swimming, cycling, kettle bell workouts, then see how you feel. Eventually you'll get back on the scale, but at that point, you'll have data to backup the fact that you didn't just get "fat" because you put on weight, and hopefully you can find a comfortable balance with this whole thing...
  • graelwyn
    Options
    My protein ranges from around 90 right up to 160 on somedays, so I am sure getting enough of that. I don't plan on it getting so high, but I eat a lot of fish, greek yoghurt, seeds and cheese.
  • SilkyHotspur
    Options
    My protein ranges from around 90 right up to 160 on somedays, so I am sure getting enough of that. I don't plan on it getting so high, but I eat a lot of fish, greek yoghurt, seeds and cheese.
    The problem I had in gaining mass, I hate to say weight, as I have mental block with gaining any fat....was that I just could not eat enough. I see food as Fuel, not Comfort...always have for as long as I can remember. To get over this hurdle, I drank weight gain shakes with whole milk, 2 per day. At 1000 calories per shake, spread out over the whole day....in addition to meals. The extra 2000 calories per day, along with food, put me at around 3500 - 3800 cals per day, more than enough for quality consistent gains in mass. When I wanted to lose some weight...i simply stopped drinking the shakes. Now i do high and low days...on low days I eat what my wife eats (5'4" 125lbs)....on high weight lifting days, I eat around 2500 cals
  • i_miss_donuts
    i_miss_donuts Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9". Right now 136. Last year 130-132. Teenage years around 114-120. I did the bodpod & I have 26% BF. I want to get down to 19-21% which would be around130 but maybe more since I am also wanting to build muscle.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and currently weigh 153lbs. Highest weight was 220lbs, lowest was 112lbs - when I was 17/18. I do have quite a small frame though and didn't look ridiculously thin at 8 stone...I'm now aiming to get back to about 9 stone/130lbs.

Just noticed, you're from the same town as me :-D
  • SilkyHotspur
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and currently weigh 153lbs. Highest weight was 220lbs, lowest was 112lbs - when I was 17/18. I do have quite a small frame though and didn't look ridiculously thin at 8 stone...I'm now aiming to get back to about 9 stone/130lbs.

LOL....as Londoner now in the U.S., you have to explain for our American friends that in England, we still use "stones"...as a measurement, not the actual stone itself, but 1 stone = 14 lbs, so at 8 stone, you were a small 112lbs.

Here's a thought, maybe Americans should use stones, instead of lbs....then everyone's "number" would shrink..
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 3/4 and currently at 161 and 26%BF. My goal is 20% BF. What weight that will put me at I have no idea. I weighed 125 5 years ago and I was skinny fat - size 4 and nothing but skin and bones. If I get down to 125 now I will have a boatload of muscle and look awesome. :happy: For me it isn't so much about the scale. It is more about how well I can play soccer, perform yoga poses and how many push ups I can do!!
  • graelwyn
    Options

Heh, I saw another Southamptoner around here not long ago too, it is cool to find others from the same town! I don't actually know anyone in this place apart from my bf, just seem to have kept myself to myself.
  • beije24
    beije24 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    CW: 168
    SW: 125 (high school, 12yrs ago)
    GW: 150

I'm 5'9 3/4. I did the frame calculator and it says I have a thin frame but I have broad shoulders which makes me think I have a large frame. At my SW I was very active. I'm in the process of moving to Orlando, Fl and would love to reach atleast 160lbs in 2 weeks.
    With my body type, 155 looks best but I know once I reach my GW ill fluctuate between that and 155.
  • krystankoehn
    krystankoehn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this! I'm just starting on my journey and it is great info!! Thank you!!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10". When I was under 130 lbs, my ballet instructors told me I was too skinny. You guys must be WAY thinner. My normal, thin adult weight was 150-155. When I was nursing many hours a day and very, very thin, I went down to 140 and a size 10. I get REALLY grumpy when I'm in thin. I look good, but it's not good for me. I'm happy and thin at 150-160.

Right now I'm at my top weight ever at age 53. I weighed 184 last time I looked. I'm expecting to get down to 170 by the end of the summer (I've been there within the last year and was pretty stable at that for around 10 years - my current weight gain was pretty abrupt).

If I hit 170 as I expect, I'd love to see if I could get back down to 160. It's been 13 years - after I last stopped nursing. But I come from a family of diabetics, and I'm highly motivated NOT to gain too much weight. Right now I'm the thinnest person in my family and the only one not pre-diabetic.
  • jayne_mel
    jayne_mel Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    5'10 and a bit. Lowest weight was 105.5 in December, currently I'm 112.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10 and my lowest weight as an adult was when I got married, 127 lbs. I did not look sick, but my current goal is a little higher: 140-150.