The Paleo Diet Moves From The Gym To The Doctor's Office

Options
victoria4321
victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
http://m.npr.org/story/154166626?url=/blogs/health/2012/06/02/154166626/the-paleo-diet-moves-from-the-gym-to-the-doctors-office&sc=ipad&f=1001

The Paleo Diet Moves From The Gym To The Doctor's Office

Published: June 02, 2012 by Eliza Barclay

By now the paleo diet and lifestyle has inched from the fringe a little closer to the mainstream, thanks to some very passionate followers sold on the notion that our Paleolithic hunter-gatherer ancestors avoided modern day ailments like obesity and diabetes because they ate what some consider an "ideal" diet of meat, fruit and vegetables.

Maybe you've met paleo dieters through CrossFit, or seen them organizing MeetUps online, and been amazed that they've managed to swear off sugar, dairy, grains and beans.

But the paleo way is now moving beyond the gym and Web to an entirely new space — the doctor's office. There the somewhat amorphous idea of "evolutionary medicine" is taking shape.

One of the founders of the paleo movement, Loren Cordain, a professor at Colorado State University with a doctorate in exercise science, is the author of a must-read book for paleo followers, The Paleo Diet. Recently, he co-founded the Paleo Physicians Network. Its goal: connect consumers with "medical professionals who practice Darwinian/Evolutionary Medicine." The network lists hundreds of them around the country (53 in California alone).

Except there's a small problem, according to one of the people who helped coin the term evolutionary medicine: No one actually practices evolutionary medicine because it's only a theory.

Randolph Nesse, a professor of psychiatry and psychology at the University of Michigan, might be called a father of evolutionary medicine. He co-authored an influential paper in 1991 called "The Dawn of Darwinian Medicine," which made a persuasive case for more research into how evolution by natural selection can help explain what makes us sick.

When Shots asked him about his thoughts on the Paleo Physicians Network, he said, "I don't like it much."

Nesse is all for basing studies off of the theory of evolutionary medicine, but he says those studies haven't happened yet. "Doctors know very little about evolution so I would like to distance evolutionary medicine from any direct application in the clinic until we can do some real trials," says Nesse.

Lane Sebring, who has a clinic in Austin, Texas, is a physician in the Paleo Physicians Network who says he's been using evolutionary medicine for 12 years to treat diseases like diabetes, heart disease and depression.

"Modern medicine has failed many of my patients," Sebring tells Shots. "Instead, I talk to them about what kind of exercise and diet is best for human beings and that's about recognizing what genes can do."

Sebring and Cordain both say the early clinical trials of people on the paleo diet, though small, have shown promising results.

"I tell my patients that there are certain foods that the body is expecting; the foods we're genetically programmed for, like berries," says Sebring. "The body wants to repair and it wants to do better. When you go off the bad foods you stop insulting the body."

But the biggest challenge to turning more people on to evolutionary medicine and the paleo diet, according to Sebring, is that many patients can't handle the lifestyle changes.

That might be because the paleo diet will seem extremely restrictive to most modern humans. And it goes against the advice of legions of nutrition experts who say high-fiber, low-fat beans and whole grains should be part of a healthful diet.

Nesse, the evolutionary medicine theorist, says there's even an evolutionary flaw in the paleo diet.

"There's this tendency to want to find the normal human diet," Nesse says. "But every single diet you pick as had advantage of some sort. Humans have lived in all kinds of places and we have adapted to all kinds of diets." [Copyright 2012 National Public

Replies

• victoria4321
    Options
    Sorry I'm posting from my phone so its acting up a bit. A friend sent me that article and I thought it was interesting so I wanted to share. What do you guys think about drs prescribing this diet? Good or bad idea?
  • BeachBobbie
    Options
    I do believe in the Paleo way of eating. I tried Vegan for a while, then I ended up eating vegetarian for about a year. i felt great, as long as I wasn't doing any serious physical activities. I began to feel extremely tired and was craving red meat. I even dreamt of eating a steak in my sleep on numerous occasions.....later to find out that I had depleted most of my iron. I was huge on eating fish and vegetables, tons of rice and beans. Just wasn't enough. I had eaten meat my whole life and at 33 years old, i was trying to change everything my body knew. That's the only problem I see with Paleo. How can anyone, after an entire life of eating a certain way, completely take things out of their diet and never have them again? Sugars for instance. Sugar is the devil.....we all know its killing us. No-one wants to die young or have heart disease, but we still consume it. I try to monitor it, but I have it in my bread and its in my coffee. I want to eventually quit coffee, but I am just not in the state of mind to do it right now. I would love to cut out everything that is bad for me, but i also want to live and enjoy life. It's a double edged sword. I love the idea behind Paleo. I hope to one day see a world that eats right and exercises reguarly, but with everything else, I don't see it lasting :(
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I like the primal blueprint better. It includes a little dairy (unsweetened almond milk/plain greek yogurt/cheese) and a little fruit. carbs are ok if you take out the regular high fiber breads and replace w/ ezekial bread, quinoa, steel cut oats etc. And it's more 80/20- trying to eat primal most of the time but giving yourself room to eat in the real world too.
    I lost 10lbs just adding the extra protein and keeping my carbs around 100! now I'm down to my goal weight :)
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds healthy. I don't practise it myself but so many people have amazing results with eating this way. It is a big change for people to cut grains out of their diet and that's (IMO) what generally stops everyone from from starting it.

Anyway compared to SAD how can it NOT be healthier?
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I saw this on NPR right after you posted it yesterday. I thought the timing was really interesting since my CrossFit box is starting our 60day Paleo challenge today. I've never been a paleo advocate because I'm not much for restrictive eating (I'm more of a moderation person), but we'll see what happens.
  • victoria4321
    Options
    Here's the regular link if anyone wants to read the comments too. I didn't realize I posted the mobile link

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/06/02/154166626/the-paleo-diet-moves-from-the-gym-to-the-doctors-office
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am seeing it more and more that Dr's are recommending a more natural eating approach and not pushing the grains and low fat way of eating.

I think this is the beginning of Dr's waking up and seeing that drugs only mask and don't heal in the slightest.

Finding the root cause is the beginning of an awesome life change.
  • victoria4321
    Options
    Yes, I am seeing it more and more that Dr's are recommending a more natural eating approach and not pushing the grains and low fat way of eating.

I think this is the beginning of Dr's waking up and seeing that drugs only mask and don't heal in the slightest.

Finding the root cause is the beginning of an awesome life change.

Yup I know its not the only plan of eating but its great to hear doctors looking for alternatives outside of medications.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Gravity is only a theory too.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I think evolutionary arguments regarding food are stupid because you can bet that if the cave man had high nutrient density food he didn't have to work for, he sure as hell would eat it. It's not like there were all of today's options and they chose only XY and Z. I also hate when people say what we were "meant" to eat. We were. Meant to be able to eat whatever was available. We've since invented or found new things, but just because they are evolutionarily new doesn't mean they are necessarily bad. Multivitamins are new, does that mean they are bad? Fish oil supplements?

I think that the reason restrictive diets work for weight loss and health is that they keep you from eating the donut your coworker brought in offering 300 cals and no satiety. I'm more of a moderation girl. I don't think there is anything wrong with paleo or primal, I just don't think it's especially right either.
  • MissXFit13
    MissXFit13 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Interesting article. I've been thinking about trying a paleo diet for a while, but I'm not sure what's holding me back to taking the leap. Well, I do know, it's my reluctance to give up breads and pastas, which are exactly the things holding me back right now. Anyways, I listen to the Paleo Solution with Robb Wolf and Greg Everett, and they're starting to convince me it's the way to go.
  • kasebrad
    kasebrad Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've read some research from Nesse and a few other authors on the subject, and I think it's quite interesting. Adopting a paleo diet could be useful for a lot of people. At the very least, going semi-paleo (primarily eating vegetables, meats, seeds/nuts, etc. but maybe including grains and dairy in moderation) seems reasonable for most people. It would definitely lower the prevalence of heart disease, diabetes, etc. Personally, I could never give up grains and dairy because I love pasta and yogurt waaay too much. I figure that if my ancestors adapted to digest grains and be lactose persistent, a little bit couldn't hurt too much.
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    Just my two cents, but I have been struggling with weight for years and decided go paleo. And when I told my endocrinologist what ibwas doing she fully supported it. She said i am eating all the right things and its good for hormonal issues. She isn't an evolutionary md but she supported the switch to whole natural foods. Now how some can call that a restrictive diet? I will never know.
  • snowbab
    snowbab Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I am between a paleo and a primal diet as I still allow myself milk and natural yogurt. I want to have enough calcium in my diet, especially since my ED past made my lower spine weak :S

But I have been really successful eating like this and it's been about 4 months. It got me out of a 3.5 month plateau! I can't see myself going back really (although I may have to as I'm off to uni and not eating rice/potatoes will be epensive for a student). But I don't want to because eating like this feels great. I really recommend it :) You feel full really easily as well and I now see potatoes etc...as a bit of a waste of calories to be honest. I'd much rather be filled up on meat, nuts, veggies and fruit (and milk/yogurt in my case lol).

In the end though, it's an individual choice. You have to do what feels best for yourself, don't just follow a trend that doesn't suit you.

EDIT: Also I recently saw a dietitican, going through my avereage day of food and she said it was very balanced and healthy. I didn't say it was paleo but she didn't mention the absence of potatoes etc..,she seemed very approving! :)
  • victoria4321
    Options
    I think evolutionary arguments regarding food are stupid because you can bet that if the cave man had high nutrient density food he didn't have to work for, he sure as hell would eat it. It's not like there were all of today's options and they chose only XY and Z. I also hate when people say what we were "meant" to eat. We were. Meant to be able to eat whatever was available. We've since invented or found new things, but just because they are evolutionarily new doesn't mean they are necessarily bad. Multivitamins are new, does that mean they are bad? Fish oil supplements?

I think that the reason restrictive diets work for weight loss and health is that they keep you from eating the donut your coworker brought in offering 300 cals and no satiety. I'm more of a moderation girl. I don't think there is anything wrong with paleo or primal, I just don't think it's especially right either.
    its not really a restrictive diet, you can eat as much as you like. I don't see any reason why it would work better or worse weight loss wise when compared to calorie restriction. I think its more for overall health than weight loss.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options

its not really a restrictive diet, you can eat as much as you like. I don't see any reason why it would work better or worse weight loss wise when compared to calorie restriction. I think its more for overall health than weight loss.

It's restricting entire food groups. When I say restricting, I mean food groups. Like Atkins, or low fat, or low anything. I consider all of the diets that cut something out "restrictive"

I don't have any problem with paleo/primal. I just take issue with evolution based arguments.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Any diet that promotes eating organic grass fed meat along with fruit and veg is going to be healthy. I do not buy for a second that this is the way we are "supposed" to eat or that evolution has anything to do with it. It's basically just cutting out processed food.

And... I can't wait to read the articles about the lawsuits that are coming for these so called "evolutionary mds".

Paleo dieters are strange to me. Amazing to make an entire lifestyle revolving around conjecture and assumptions. We know next to nothing about cavemen or if they even existed (yes, that is still up for debate!).
  • victoria4321
    Options
    Any diet that promotes eating organic grass fed meat along with fruit and veg is going to be healthy. I do not buy for a second that this is the way we are "supposed" to eat or that evolution has anything to do with it. It's basically just cutting out processed food.

And... I can't wait to read the articles about the lawsuits that are coming for these so called "evolutionary mds".

Just curious, but what exactly can they sue for? Its not in any way dangerous. It may be a little different but there isnt a single component that is dangerous about it. All the foods are things we normally eat. The foods to avoid are items that are generally processed anyway, with a few exceptions.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options

Just curious, but what exactly can they sue for? Its not in any way dangerous. It may be a little different but there isnt a single component that is dangerous about it. All the foods are things we normally eat. The foods to avoid are items that are generally processed anyway, with a few exceptions.

"Nesse is all for basing studies off of the theory of evolutionary medicine, but he says those studies haven't happened yet. "Doctors know very little about evolution so I would like to distance evolutionary medicine from any direct application in the clinic until we can do some real trials," says Nesse."

It will work about as well as any holistic methods involving changing the diet which are hit or miss. It's not the diet I think is dangerous, but people calling themselves "doctors" (or God forbid, real doctors) using a method that is not tested instead of modern medicine.
  • steph124ny
    steph124ny Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm all for healthy, natural eating...but it seems the doctors forgot to mention that the cavemen had a life expectancy of about 18-20 years...so it was sort of irrelavant what they ate as far as long term health effects....