Cottage Cheese Anyone?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You can add it as protein to shakes--it works well and you don't even know its there.
  • pardonme
    pardonme Posts: 1
    Options
    I used to think that I also hated cottage cheese, but lately I have made it a staple of my diet. I eat on its own or mixed it with "Del Monte No Sugar Added Fruit Cups." I especially like it with peaches and pears. Don't be afraid, get the 1% version, and you'll be fine! It's great to fill you up for a couple hours without adding a lot of calories to your day.
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Morgaine_on_the_move Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I would not eat it by itself, but mixed in some scrambled eggs and with a little avocado and pepperjack cheese...it's pretty amazing.
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried it, my stomach was upset for two days afterwards because the texture freaked me out so much. I was honestly sick to my stomach because I kept remembering it. And then I thought to myself, "self, you are being ridiculous!" I tried it again and liked it.

Now it's just about my favorite thing in the world. For an after-workout treat, I will mix it with some frozen banana, cinnamon, and a bit of graham cracker. It's terrific with any kind of berry. It's terrific with veggies if you mix in some yummy spices. LOVE IT!

So, if you don't like it at first, keep trying it and trying different brands. If I could get to like it, so can you!
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I hate cottage cheese on its own. Blech! I don't care what fruit is mixed in. Weight Watchers has a "Favorites" recipe book. So many tasty recipes in there, and quite a few contain cottage cheese. There's one for blueberry blintzes, where you mix farmers cheese and cottage cheese with blueberry jam and roll it into a thin pancake. It's high in fiber, protein, and calcium, but low in calories and fat. SO delicious... I might make some this week!

LOVE this book!

http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Watchers-All-Time-Favorites-Best-Ever/dp/0470169990
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Plain with some pepper
    or
    with FRESH (never canned) Pineapple
    or
    with fresh strawberries
    or
    topped with applesauce
    or
    in my salad with a bit of blu cheese
    or
    it's endless really
    but it is true....lots of sodium.
  • Lizzyton
    Lizzyton Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like cottage cheese...but not with fruit. I like it with chopped tomatoes on the side or avocado....and usually with some sort of crackers or chips (the healthier kind) :o)
  • Marie294
    Marie294 Posts: 304
    Options
    I like adding 2 parts chick peas to 1 part cottage cheese with some lemon, paprika and garlic in a blender and using it as a dip wiht carrots celery etc.

This sounds SO amazing!! I have to try it! Thanks for the idea :):)
  • kimmieyr1
    kimmieyr1 Posts: 189
    Options
    I love it but why eat something you don't want? What are you replacing? Because like any cheese it has a lot of sodium.

So agree! Life is too short to eat stuff you don't like and success is unlikely if you are trying to eat foods you do not enjoy. With that said, I too like it. I mix it in with my eggs and scramble them. Makes them light, fluffy and a bit cheesy. No cottage cheese taste at all. Low cal high protein breakfast.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I tried Nancy's low-fat Organic cottage cheese and it was so gross. I went back to Daisy 4% milk fat cottage cheese and love it by itself, although I typically add 10 grapes, half a ya pear, Saigon cinnamon and Enjoy Life Crunch Flax cereal.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I eat Breakstone's 30% lower sodium 2% milkfat cottage cheese. It's bland-tasting so I put walnuts and blueberries or dried cranberries in it to add some flavor. But I really rely on it as a protein source so I eat it pretty much every morning.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bump
  • melann1974
    melann1974 Posts: 84
    Options
    All this talk about cottage cheese, I had to go get me some... haha