too much sugar

Options

Replies

• bjs06
    bjs06 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I am always RIDICULOUSLY over on sugar. That being said, I started eating primal, and I almost never eat/drink anything that contains added sugar. All that sugar is naturally occuring in my fruits and veggies and if Im not suppose to eat that, what am I suppose to eat? haha. Don't count the sugars that are natural, I am always like hundreds over and I blow it off, I never even look at it. No worries. As long as you aren't pushing yourself over on sugar with soda, candy, juice, and baked goods dont worry about it :)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    This topic always gets me and I know everyone's journey is going to be different but I have NEVER. since day one tracked a single gram of sugar... I don't track sugar and I do not track sodium. I have always tracked carbs, protein, fat , and calories and have lost 307 lbs. in the process. I drink 125-150oz. of water a day.... I am a type 2 diabetic that had A1c of 10.0 and now run 5.3... I changed my entire lifestyle heck I had too... I was eating 8000+ calories a day on processed food (doritoes, oreos, etc, etc) So out with the crap and in with the Fruits, Veggies, Lean Meats, Grains, etc.... A nutritionist set my calories and macros concentrating on carbs and proteins.... and went from there... I don't use sweeteners only use pure cane sugar in my morning coffee (2 spoonfuls is 30 calories). I do drink diet pepsi and always will (a couple a day). Again I know everyone is different and maybe I am the exception to the rule but this is what I did just thought I would share..... Best of Luck......
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    This topic always gets me and I know everyone's journey is going to be different but I have NEVER. since day one tracked a single gram of sugar... I don't track sugar and I do not track sodium. I have always tracked carbs, protein, fat , and calories and have lost 307 lbs. in the process. I drink 125-150oz. of water a day.... I am a type 2 diabetic that had A1c of 10.0 and now run 5.3... I changed my entire lifestyle heck I had too... I was eating 8000+ calories a day on processed food (doritoes, oreos, etc, etc) So out with the crap and in with the Fruits, Veggies, Lean Meats, Grains, etc.... A nutritionist set my calories and macros concentrating on carbs and proteins.... and went from there... I don't use sweeteners only use pure cane sugar in my morning coffee (2 spoonfuls is 30 calories). I do drink diet pepsi and always will (a couple a day). Again I know everyone is different and maybe I am the exception to the rule but this is what I did just thought I would share..... Best of Luck......

I think I can safely speak for all MFP...way to go on ur success...a true inspirational that if you want it...if can be achieved...you just have to work a little harder in order to reach it.................:smile:
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    First: EdDavenport your my hero, if you can do it I can too. I look at your profile from time to time and I get inspired by you, awesome work and really great to hear great advice from you too.
    Second: I also don't pay attention to the sugars in natural foods, I'd go crazy because a yogurt and an apple and your done for the day. Just don't mind it unless you have a diabetic problem.
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I was worried about about my sugar intake too. The whole "sugar is sugar, your body doesn't know the difference" campaign got to me. Then, I looked at where the sugar came from - fruits AND vegetables. The same foods that give me good carbs for energy and fiber without fat or cholesterol. I had my sugar tested recently and it was fine. I changed my settings to show calcium instead. As long as I am not eating candy bars and cookies, it is doing me more good than harm.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Don't worry so much about the sugar in fruit. Find a yogurt w/less sugar.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I don't count the sugar from fruit which is naturally occurring. I only count the sugar in food since I never add sugar to anything.

You need to count this as sugar, since the sugar in fruit is the same stuff you put in your coffee. It only looks different.

BUT... fruit has good vitamins in them. low calories, so a good snack don't listen to this
  • charlottelovesdylan
    Options
    Hi I eat usually 120g of sugar a day according to my total carbs of sugars however it comes from healthy stuff like bread porridge and fruit and yoghurts I usually have Ice cream too! I'm active and not trying to loose weight is that amount unhealthy ?
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    I don't count the sugar from fruit which is naturally occurring. I only count the sugar in food since I never add sugar to anything.

You need to count this as sugar, since the sugar in fruit is the same stuff you put in your coffee. It only looks different.

BUT... fruit has good vitamins in them. low calories, so a good snack don't listen to this

My argument isn't that donuts are as healthy for you as a banana. My argument is that bananas have sugar in them, and if you care about tracking macro-nutrients (protein, carbs, fat) then you need to count the sugar in donuts AND bananas, not just the sugar in donuts.
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I allot at least 75g a day for sugar since naturally occurring sugar doesn't bother me and I eat a lot of it.
  • stonerdude
    stonerdude Posts: 103
    Options

That is stupid! Refined sugar is the downfall of American health
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options

For the sake of a calm, rational discussion, I am going to just quote to you the entire argument up until this point, and if you don't understand, I can explain again.

My argument isn't that donuts are as healthy for you as a banana. My argument is that bananas have sugar in them, and if you care about tracking macro-nutrients (protein, carbs, fat) then you need to count the sugar in donuts AND bananas, not just the sugar in donuts.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    "Fructose has no significant effect on body weight in calorie-controlled trials. Fructose also demonstrated improvement of glycemic control at levels comparable to that obtained in fruit."

As long as it's not preventing you from getting the needed nutrition/ micros you need to function well and you're not dealing with an issue such as insulin resistance, eat as much as you'd like. Ignore the bad sugar/good sugar nonsense.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Here is a good read on ADDED sugar (not the same as naturally occurring sugar in fruits and some foods)
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/added-sugar/MY00845
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

stonerdude, is your last name Lustig?
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Fructose has no significant effect on body weight in calorie-controlled trials. Fructose also demonstrated improvement of glycemic control at levels comparable to that obtained in fruit.

As long as it's not preventing you from getting the needed nutrition/ micros you need to function well and you're not dealing with an issue such as insulin resistance, eat as much as you'd like. Ignore the bad sugar/good sugar nonsense.

^ This. Hell, eat 20 apples in a day if you want, as long as you fit it into your calories and macros.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

It's also PROCESSED and REFINED.

Look, it's one day. dont kill yourself over it. Keep your fruits in moderation, and choose those over processed options when you can. The body has a more difficult time breaking down natural occurring sugar.
  • charlena48
    charlena48 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You can change your settings to track your sugar and look it up before eating it. I quit eating sugar at the beginning of the year. I only get sugar found naturally in foods like fruits and veggies.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options

It is NOT the same. Fructose (fruit sugar) doesn't spike the blood sugar as high as the sucrose (table sugar). It is lower on the glycemic index. I'd say that means they're DIFFERENT.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Actually your body metabolises (sp) sugar that occures naturally, say in fruits than it does processed stuff, like white sugars.
    OP I would google what you want to know because one is metabolised quickly, i believe by sending it to your muscles(good for after a work out), and the other sits in your blood stream longer which cause the need for your body to produce more insulin. I had the same question/problem a while back, and searched but now I cant find the link. I finally gave up on that one as I dont ever see myself eating that clean. Good Luck.
    The body does not metabolize them any differently. Glucose, sucrose, fructose, maltose, lactose, etc, are all digested and processed in the exact same way, no matter the source. The human body doesn't actually recognize different foods. It recognizes molecules. It doesn't recognize "apple" or "candy bar" it recognizes "glucose, fructose, and sucrose," and digests them.