too much sugar

Options

Replies

• rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I just completed my diary for the day and my total sugar grams were 11. It is possible! Don't eat processed food - chose plain yogurt over flavored - and chose Greek Yogurt if you can - lower sugar overall (because it's strained) and more protein. Fruits lowest in sugar are generally berries. Blackberries, raspberries, strawberries. Don't eat a boat load - but put a 1/4 cup on your yogurt. Eat lean protein (eggs, fish, chicken, beef) and vegetables as your primary foods, with some healthy fats - nuts, avocado.

BTW - I am under the advise of a nutritionist. Sugar does matter - whether it's from fruit or dairy. If you are trying to lose fat, you don't want to eat a lot of fruit (no more than one serving a day) and possibly cut out dairy all together. I'm dairy intolerant, so I have a bit of raw cheese only now and then. Max sugar grams as recommended by my nutritionist are 25 grams per day.

Same exact thing here...I'm consistently under 25 that's with fruit I eat...mostly berries. It can be done and my nutritionist has me set at 25 grams a day also. It can be done!!
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I don't even have sugar showing in my settings. I just make sure that I'm good on my carb macros for the day and thats all that matters to me.
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The Sara Lee desserts and the Golden Crumpets seem to be a bit of a problem if you're watching your sugar.
  • gmarriottfccla
    Options
    Just about everyone goes over on their sugar. It's hard not to, when you're eating the correct portions of fruit. I would be more concerned about what processed sugar goes into your body.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I don't count the sugar from fruit which is naturally occurring. I only count the sugar in food since I never add sugar to anything.

You need to count this as sugar, since the sugar in fruit is the same stuff you put in your coffee. It only looks different.

It is NOT the same. Fructose (fruit sugar) doesn't spike the blood sugar as high as the sucrose (table sugar). It is lower on the glycemic index. I'd say that means they're DIFFERENT.
    Fructose is not the only sugar in fruit. Fruit contains varying amounts of fructose, glucose, sucrose, maltose, galactose, and other sugars. It is impossible in the real world to consume fructose without any other type of sugar.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I am now half my original body weight, and I got there while eating a fair amount of healthy sugar AND (for the most part) too many of the crappy foods as well. I've since realised that you may not gain weight eating loads of crap but you feel like crap if you do.
    I'm nearly always over my sugar, and I have that set to 50g, and I'm still losing. As long as you're getting adequate nutrients, don't stress.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    People, I LOL'ed. Again, my argument has nothing to do with whether table sugar or the sugar that naturally occurs in watermelon is the best possible sugar for you, or whether HFCS will harsh your buzz more than a mango. My point is that if you're keeping track of carbs, then the sugar in your freakin' banana counts.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Metabolic and behavioral effects of a high-sucrose diet during weight loss. Am J Clin Nutr. 1997 Apr;65(4):908-15.

www.ajcn.org/content/65/4/908.full.pdf
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    People, I LOL'ed. Again, my argument has nothing to do with whether table sugar or the sugar that naturally occurs in watermelon is the best possible sugar for you, or whether HFCS will harsh your buzz more than a mango. My point is that if you're keeping track of carbs, then the sugar in your freakin' banana counts.

I wasn't questioning or quoting you. ;)
  • PinkyFran
    PinkyFran Posts: 54
    Options
    fruit sugar is not the same as sugar that goes in your coffee, ask any diabetic..........and yes i am one lol.....more importantly is the sugar found in carbs,especially for diabetics, and obviously raw cane sugar etc

fruit sugar isnt something to worry yourself about,our bodies needs fruit sugars, although there may be hidden sugars from the milk in the yogurt, this may account for some of the sugar also :)
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Don't count natural sugars. (so from fruit, veggies, milk, honey, anything occuring naturally)

The sugar you should be counting is from chocolate, candy, and anything else with ADDED sugar

This has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever read. Sugar is sugar is sugar. The human body can break down different carbohydrates and produce the same thing in your bloodstream: glucose. Different kinds of sugar are in common use all over the world. But as New York University nutritionist and author Dr. Marion Nestle admits, “the body can hardly tell them apart.”

It makes my head spin when I see "But it's NATURAL SUGAR!" The only difference really when eating fruit is perhaps the benefit of the fiber from the meat of the fruit to offset the sugar a bit.

If you are consuming sugar, in any form, that should be counted if you are trying to track accurately. If you are worried about sugars, eat full fat versions of things like yogurt and stick to lower sugar fruits like berries.
  • PinkyFran
    PinkyFran Posts: 54
    Options
    the body does digest them in very different ways, but im not wanting to get overly serious about all this, after all she was initially wondering how and why the sugars were occouring, but blatantly saying you know right from wrong when you dont will be very misleading for people who are only beginning to learn about dieting .......
  • spunkybunny
    spunkybunny Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm the same. I try toget my 2 servings of fruit a day (as all the professional advice suggests) and I find that as a result I'm ALWAYS over in my sugar, so now I just ignore it. As long as I'm not eating ice-cream or chocolate or something, and staying under my calorie goal, I think it's fine. As a vegetarian, it's more important to me to maintain a balanced diet and get the nutrients my body needs, and to do this without supplementsI need fruit!

Why are yo u trying to stay under your calorie goal? Isn't that the minimum number of calories MFP thinks you should be eating to maintain your BMR?

I get 1515 calories everyday and I eat them everyday...if I have several days where I'm "under" I do not lose weight.
  • Marll
    Options
    I don't count the sugar from fruit which is naturally occurring. I only count the sugar in food since I never add sugar to anything.

You need to count this as sugar, since the sugar in fruit is the same stuff you put in your coffee. It only looks different.

Actually your body metabolises (sp) sugar that occures naturally, say in fruits than it does processed stuff, like white sugars.
    OP I would google what you want to know because one is metabolised quickly, i believe by sending it to your muscles(good for after a work out), and the other sits in your blood stream longer which cause the need for your body to produce more insulin. I had the same question/problem a while back, and searched but now I cant find the link. I finally gave up on that one as I dont ever see myself eating that clean. Good Luck.
    The body does not metabolize them any differently. Glucose, sucrose, fructose, maltose, lactose, etc, are all digested and processed in the exact same way, no matter the source. The human body doesn't actually recognize different foods. It recognizes molecules. It doesn't recognize "apple" or "candy bar" it recognizes "glucose, fructose, and sucrose," and digests them.

This exactly.
  • spunkybunny
    spunkybunny Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Don't count natural sugars. (so from fruit, veggies, milk, honey, anything occuring naturally)

The sugar you should be counting is from chocolate, candy, and anything else with ADDED sugar

This has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever read. Sugar is sugar is sugar. The human body can break down different carbohydrates and produce the same thing in your bloodstream: glucose. Different kinds of sugar are in common use all over the world. But as New York University nutritionist and author Dr. Marion Nestle admits, “the body can hardly tell them apart.”

It makes my head spin when I see "But it's NATURAL SUGAR!" The only difference really when eating fruit is perhaps the benefit of the fiber from the meat of the fruit to offset the sugar a bit.

If you are consuming sugar, in any form, that should be counted if you are trying to track accurately. If you are worried about sugars, eat full fat versions of things like yogurt and stick to lower sugar fruits like berries.

To a person who's insulin resistant/pre-diabetic/diabetic it's VERY different. When there's fiber with the sugar (like in fruit) the body processes it more slowly without the insulin spike seen if refined sugars are eaten.
  • Marll
    Options

To a person who's insulin resistant/pre-diabetic/diabetic it's VERY different. When there's fiber with the sugar (like in fruit) the body processes it more slowly without the insulin spike seen if refined sugars are eaten.

I call bulls**t on that. You can be a diabetic and easily spike your blood sugar with fruits just as easily as eating some cookies. The only difference might be that the fiber in an apple is not going to add to the insulin effect like the wheat in a cookie will. There are other things at play there, but when it comes down to sugar...it's all the same stuff.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    the body does digest them in very different ways, but im not wanting to get overly serious about all this, after all she was initially wondering how and why the sugars were occouring, but blatantly saying you know right from wrong when you dont will be very misleading for people who are only beginning to learn about dieting .......

Someone early on in this thread remarked that she doesn't count "naturally occurring" sugars. If you are concerned about calories, or about macro nutrients, then it is essential to count them. If you want to get into a debate about the viability of corn derivative sweeteners as a sustainable dietary staple, we can do that, too. But when you're counting your calories, or trying to maintain a macro ratio, then you had better count your bananas.
  • Marll
    Options

Someone early on in this thread remarked that she doesn't count "naturally occurring" sugars. If you are concerned about calories, or about macro nutrients, then it is essential to count them. If you want to get into a debate about the viability of corn derivative sweeteners as a sustainable dietary staple, we can do that, too. But when you're counting your calories, or trying to maintain a macro ratio, then you had better count your bananas.

Bottom line for the question at hand, I agree you need to count those sugars, because they are a part of your daily intake. To not count them would be not only cheating yourself, but defeat the purpose of tracking in the first place.
  • BeautifulKristen
    Options
    wow this thread is so stupid.. No offence but come on. Fruit isn't the same sugar as sugar!! Fruit is healthy for you! Look it up. You can eat as much vegetables and fruits that you want to. There is such thing as bad sugar and good sugar. Bad sugar is with all the candy that you eat, the pop, the artificial flavor in a lot of things. And the fruits are good sugar. I have read that so many times. I have no clue why you all think sugar is the same sugar.. (rolls eyes)